1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to TT from scratch.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kopmcginty, Dec 11, 2014.

1. kopmcginty

kopmcginty Member

Country Flag:
    I've found a gaming club nearby that plays a range of stuff. As I have zero in the way of mini's these days I'm not tied to any system. Been in touch with them but will probably be after Christmas that I start going.

There is the usual GW stuff.. WFB, 40k and nicely a BB league. I can't say the first two appeal at all anymore though I've played both way back. I dare say I will get into the BB but they also play a load of other stuff and I've took a look round the web, so much to choose from.

Games they already play at least a little;

X-wing - my inner Star Wars geek says hell yeah.

Dreadball - Looks totally different in play then BB but I already love one violent sport game in BB. DB looks like it's maybe to ice hockey what BB is to NFL and I do love me some Ice Hockey.

Bolt Action - ww2 skirmish, 28mm scale. Looks like a really good game that starts with probing and ends with half the guys that aren't dead cowering in a ditch. Like the alternate activation system in that game.

Dystopian Wars - I always did want to play Man O War back in the day but never did. This looks better anyway. Slightly steam punk alternate history that mixes naval, ground and arial battles under the same rule set and looks really interesting.

Brief look around the web turns over many other interesting looking games. Deadzone has my old Necromunda itch going. Clearly a very different game but it certainly reminds me of it. Necromunda was probably my favourite game besides BB. The terrain is great looking even if used for a different skirmish game.

I'd love to hear what experiences people have of these games. Only threads I could see, one was for xwing and only encourages me to look that at that some more. The other seemed to sway more towards the computer gaming side of things.

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    X-wing, I love it. Great fun and so much fun that I will play that in the new year instead of TT BB:powdodge:

3. kopmcginty

kopmcginty Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reply, I think it was mainly you posting in the thread I'd found.

Watched some YouTube demo games and I really like the look of how it plays. Managed to find it on Amazon for £18. Not picked up any expansions so just the basic 3 ships for now.

Thinking to get a second core set, the rebel and Imperial aces sets and then maybe a Falcon or Slave I depending which side I'm preferring.

One thing I like is that it looks like a reasonable game to be able to collect all three sides for though.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Getting two core sets is a good idea, but dont forget to get a spare X-wing and Tie fighter, they have some new pilots and upgrades.

5. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    A good idea is to see what is played on a weekly basis then pick that. It is easier to join an existing community who play regularly then to get people playing a new game.

6. kopmcginty

kopmcginty Member

Country Flag:
    Absolutely. There are at least three that play it at the club atm and I have a coupe of people I know interested too.