1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skaven Good Skaven players

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by TravelScrabble, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Hello all,

I've been looking for replays of top skaven players to get some ideas about how to improve my play, any tips? I've been watching Michelangelo just because he seems to do well in Orca Cola recently and he's definitely giving me some ideas. If you can think of anyone let me know the league you're thinking of so I can track down the replays on BB Manager.

Cheers

T.S.

EDIT

For posterity here is the full list of teams suggested in this thread and where to find them in BBM. In no particular order.

1. Michelangelo87 - Crimsonblood critters Orca Cola S17 Div1; S16 Div 2a
    2. Netsmurf - Ratman's Brave OCC S 7 Div 8b; S8 Div 6a, S9 Div 5a; S10 Div 4a
    3. Barmution - Altdwarf Plumbers Union - UEI Crunch Cup IX Div 1; Crunched Cup for UEI CCIX
    4. Blackmist - The Black Death - Orca Cola S12 Div 1; S11 Div 2B
    5. Danton - RaTaTTack - SSC-1 s15c
    6. Juriel - Beauty and the Beasts - SSC s16 3A, OCC S17 Div 6b
    7. Rustykakka - Let there be Blight - Crunch Cup VI; Crunch Cup VII Group #1
    8. Krampus - Ratti Norvegeci - Sturm Van Stahl seasons 6-11
    9. Haree - Plague Proliferation - OCC S13 Div 2d
    10. Robbo - Limp Limps Legion - OCC S7

Still have to find Haree and Robbo and will add those when I do.

EDIT Other Resources
    This thread is not just about replays, its about learning from good coaches in any way we can, here are some more resources for the budding Skaven coach:

Stalkers Skaven Shenanigans - Juriel analyzes Skaven matches in the OCC and points out mistakes in his own inimitable style - http://bbtactics.com/forums/stalkers-skaven-shenanigans-lot-images-t2520/page6/#post61103
    Sturm van Stahl league - This link is to access the Sturm van Stahl forum where replays of Krampus can be found by clicking on the replays link (though it may take a few attempts since the site is a bit finicky - http://www.rmbbl.net/svsforum/index.php - his team is Ratti Norvegeci
    Occ ELO's - useful for tracking down other good Skaven players http://bbm.islanube.com/teams.php

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Take a look at Blackmist on OCC also. Unfortunately the best skaven league player I know isn't on BBM. Might be worth trying to catch a live game of his if possible - Ugnash in the UKBBL

3. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Cool thanks for the tips

4. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Didn't Danton play Skaven at one time? Does anyone (such as the man himself) know where I could track down those replays?

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I played skaven in OCC season 7 div8b, season 8 div6a, season 9 div5a and season 10 div 4a. Stopped with skaven as they were a nightmare to keep alive in a league with fouling and bounty competitions. The then present winnings bug also stole around 120-150k a season:( The team was Ratmans Brave!

6. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    You Skaven? Seems so out of character :p. I'll check them out thanks

7. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Remember that stormvermins can get claws on a double;)

8. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    For my money, a truly great Skaven player is the one who is out-bashing you with his ST3 players. Kind of like with Humans, it's strong fundamental play - in terms of assists, tackle zones and area/mobility denial - that will get you a long, long way, before the absolute bullshit generator that is a squad of developed Gutter Runners can even be factored into it.

See, lots of people see those supersonic spivs as the core of the Skaven team, when it's actually the Storm Vermin. They're the ones who exert Guard, letting the rest of the fodder tie you up in a brawl, which in turn allows the GRs to cause their merry havoc.

Our resident Crunch Cup champ, Barmution, happens to play Skaven like a king... a rat king. Not sure about the tangle of tails, but then it can't be a coincidence that all his photos on here are only from the waste up. Check out his Altdwarf Plumbers Union games from UEI: Crunch Cup IX and Crunched Cup for UEI: CCIX. A lot of those games were plagued with misfortune on his part but you can see how presents a fearsome opponent in spite of that.

Further back, Rusty also ran with a mean, lean Skaven team called Let There Be Blight, and I don't know about anyone else but he completely kicked my arse with them. You can find their replays under Crunch Cup VI and Crunch Cup VII - Group #1, assuming intervening patches haven't rendered them unwatchable.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Well then it looks like I will have to take up skavens again and enter the next CC and get in the same division as JM:p

10. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Awesome thanks JM

11. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I played them in the SSC a couple of seasons ago. Ended up with a decent record and a nice team that may well play in the OCC one day. You should be able to track the replays down in BBM if you look for SSC1 - S15. That being said I have not had a huge amount of experience with Skaven, so there are bound to be plenty of better replays out there from other coaches who have.

Blackmist has already been mentioned and is worth checking out, even if he was cheating with two storm vermin that were both Ag 4 and Str 4! :p Haree and Robbo also both did well with skaven in the OCC. Another solid skaven coach with a lot of experience is Krampus, who played a skaven team for a long time in the Sturm Von Stahl league.

12. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Cheers Danton

13. Thorlacius

Thorlacius Member

Country Flag:
    Hey you should also check out juriels beauty and the beasts skaven team.
    Played in SSC season16 and are now in OCC tier6B i belive.

Good luck with the rats ;)

14. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well, the tales of Rattigan's Brave were the reason I stuck around on the forum in the first place, I never did see them in action though. And to be fair, Smurf, you could probably beat me with Halflings nae bother.

15. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I've updated the first post with where to find the replays mentioned here and will continue to add to it as I get more replays for myself.

16. claaaams

claaaams Member

Country Flag:
    I'm no great coach or anything, but I do consider Skaven to be my best team, and I went 6-1-0 with them in a recent "rookie" league (7-1-1 including playoffs). No great opposition, but if you're having trouble finding replays of skaven at low TV (it was a fresh team when the league started), it was BBNA Mischief Season 9 - my team is the Ironic Skitterers.

17. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'll check em out, cheers claaams

18. SurgeonUFO

SurgeonUFO Member

Country Flag:
    Just started a blog for my Skaven team in SSC -- currently SSC 1A team name is Scorsese's Rats if you're interested. They're doing fairly well so far.

19. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Excellent, more for the list

20. Deluge

Deluge Member

Country Flag:
    I have 7 skaven matches with commentary uploaded to my youtube channel, but they are below 1500 TV. I feel some of the matches are pretty decent :)

Skaven really playes differently though with and without things like diving tackle and strip ball.