1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Figured I would start a thread on this, to see if there is anyone else that is also enjoying this one.

I've been a racing fan since I was little and been playing this series of games since Gran Turismo 2. GT: Sport I think is 7th installment in the series, and it heavily focuses on online racing. Before this I've never enjoyed racing games in multiplayer, mainly because people don't do it clean and just lack sportsmanship. With this game that has finally changed, and game punishes you for doing dirty.

Everyone has a sportsmanship ranking, and this affects matchmaking. In other words, if you keep ranking up (driving clean), you will be put into races with similiar attitude.

I drove one 10 laps race last night, decided to fast upload it into Youtube so you can see it for yourself. It's awesome, and you also get to see me just pulling moves making an overtake after another. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TravelScrabble likes this.
  2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Is there a good offline game in it as well? I have no possibility to play online 9 months of the year.

Ps. I have played all of the games in the series

3. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    No, if you are into singleplayer and offline experience I can't recommend the full price for you.

First of all; you can save the game online only... This is my understanding so far, although the backlash has gotten PD (the devs) to think about changing this. Then the number of cars have been decreased, same for tracks. They plan to add these through time, and I believe they gave a promise that all DLCs will be free.

What you can do singleplayer offline;
    - driving school
    - missions (premade scenarios and challenges)
    - track experience (you try to reach certain times for all sectors of the track, and 1 laps challenge as final)
    - arcade (pick a car you own, fire this up and race AI)
    - livery editor (make your own paint jobs, this is really well executed)
    - photo mode (get artistic, place a car in a photo and do photoediting)

Hope this helps.

4. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    @Ilgoth Thank you for that, can see that my dreams of cruising in a Dodge Viper again will have to be in some other game.

Ilgoth likes this.
  5. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I am taking part in the official FIA Manufacturer Cup and it's "Test Season". Every driver makes a contract with car brand, and races with cars that the brand offers. I went with BMW, and for the Gr.3 class they offer theirs M6 GT3. And Gr.4 class M4. Mainly chose them because I drove M6 a lot during closed beta.

Here's how season works: it lasts for one week, and there is one race per day (all races are different). You can participate in all of them if you like but it is not needed. Your season ranking will be given through your three best performances + driver ranking + sportsmanship ranking.

One race: Game matchmakes the pool of players into lobbies. You have 2 minutes of warm-up driving. Then starts qualification which lasts 8-10minutes (depends on track, clearly point is you have time for 2-3 laps). Track is open, just decide when you go in and do your lap. Knowing when to go, finding your space on track is the key. You dont wanna get caught in traffic, and thus get your lap ruined. After qualification, 3minutes of rest and the race starts.

I had my first race on Saturday, and now got it uploaded to Youtube. Enjoyed it a lot, quite honestly could have won it as I failed my qualification laps. Best was 2.04.6 and during race I did 2.02.2 which would have given me the pole position. And I was the fastest guy on track, I take pride in it. :rolleyes::eek::D

Ilgoth's test season so far:
    Point Race 1 in Suzuka GP: P9 --> P5

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Nice!
    So, is it only track races, there is no "real world"? I am looking to pick up a racing game for PS4, but I had not played them much honestly (mostly Flatout on PS2, man, that was fun!)
    Any recommendations? I'd like something with out of track racing.

7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yeah sadly Gran Turismo has always been about track racing, no sandbox world to drive in. o_O I have to say that from PS4 era, GT is only series I got my own experience in.

8. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im looking into Project Cars 2, looks like they have a singleplayer part that does not require good internet

Ilgoth likes this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yeah Project Cars 2 must be the greatest racing game on PC side of things. Looks really solid, I most likely get it at some point unless I feel completely happy with GT: Sport alone!

My second race of the season went real well, the track was Brazil Interlagos GP which is one of my all time favourites, most likely only bested by Suzuka. I could tell my love for the track showed, and I managed to secure 3rd place on qualification! Race went well, and improved my position early on. I just couldn't catch the Swiss in front of me, trust me I kept sweating for try-harding behind him!

Ilgoth's test season so far:
    Point Race 1 in Suzuka GP: P9 --> P5
    Point Race 2 in Brazil GP: P3 --> P2

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Can't get over how realistic this game looks, honestly couldn't tell it from a televised race

Ilgoth likes this.
  11. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Ok. You convinced me. I am getting it.
    Maybe I'll see you on the track on day. ;)

Ilgoth likes this.
  12. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Nice overtaking

Ilgoth likes this.
  13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Glad you join the fun @mamutas ! Maybe one day :) @TravelScrabble I agree the game looks great, just wish I had PS4 Pro like my brother as the game runs in 4K 60fps on it. Must look gorgeous.

I upload the third race either today or tomorrow, but lets just say it went downhill quite fast. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    What controller do you use? Just regular PS4 one? Or something else?

15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Regular yeah. I steer on my left stick, gas/brakes on right stick. Triggers are for gear shifting.

16. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    So, you play with the manual, huh? Interesting...

17. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Sometimes, for the manufacturer cup I've been using automatic gearbox. Although it seems those who use manual can go faster. Bit of a noob thing from me to race on automatic.

18. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    LOL I read that as if Ilgoth had read the manual for the game :p

Ilgoth likes this.
  19. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    LOL! No one reads the manual, haven't you heard Bob telling that?

Ilgoth likes this.
  20. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Well, I'm bit annoyed as I have lost the rest of the replays for the two other races that I did. Dont understand where the replays went from my profile... Any way here is the whole season dissected.

Ilgoth's test season 1:
    Point Race 1 in Suzuka GP: P9 --> P5, 200 ranking points
    Point Race 2 in Brazil GP: P3 --> P2, 215 ranking points

Point Race 3 in Brand's Hatch: P9 --> P10
    Point Race 4 in Kyoto Ring: did not participate
    Point Race 5 in Alsace Village: did not participate

Point Race 6 in Laguna Autodrome: P9 --> P6, 195 ranking points
    Point Race 7, no idea of the track did not log in that day

Point Race 3: a race where I participated with no free practice whatsoever, so I did not have any preperation done. And you could tell, throughout the qualification and the race I made easy mistakes. The start of the race was disgusting, lot of tackles and pushes from people but I stayed on the track. Due to huge crash in front of me, I was P5 after two laps. Sadly from there, every single lap I struggled and people caught me soon. One of the laps locked up hard and crashed on the wall, making me P11. Towards the end I got one position as someone went wide to the sands.

Point Race 6: practiced an hour prior to the race. Clean first lap, no overtakes from anyone. Then two guys started fighting in front of me, took my chance and soon got them both. Kept going, one guy spun BADLY, I think he ended up being last. Anyways, I was being chased and one guy passed me - a lap later I passed him again and at the same time someone was wide so I was P5 already. Then I locked up, cost me a second or so and on the next straight two guys passed me. For the remaining race I followed them, and on the last lap I overtook one, thus P6.

I highlighted the three races that ended up being the best ones ranking point wise, and my rank was calculated using these. At the end of the season my rank was 109th. I dont know if that is within BMW, or the whole range of brands (game doesnt tell, which is kind of lackluster). But game gave me more than 1400 players on the ranking page, so regardless - I am rather happy!

edit// it seems the rank is within the brand I drive for

My driver class is B at the moment, whole range of classes is E, D, C, B, A, S. Higher driver class, better the ranking point gain. My sportsmanship class is S, and the range is the same for that too. What can I say, I am the cool headed nice guy. :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Yesterday drove the first race of test season 2, still driving for BMW. Before I got the replay saved, server disconnected but I managed to grab the Playstation Highlight of 15minutes from the race. Will upload it soon, it is from the lap 3.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017