1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    @mamutas I did two laps on the final level. First lap ended up silver, second lap gold.

I had automatic transmission, but I did change my break balance to -2. That means it's more effective in the front end, which helps with this particular track since we have so many hard breaks.

2. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Here is my attempt. I read your post, but I did not see your videos yet when I made mine.

If I remember correctly, I set my breaks all the way to the front end and also increased the power all the way to the max (you can see it in video).
    I am more conservative on the corners than you are and that is because I am often getting oversteered (but that was before break adjustments though, I need to try faster going through corners, although not sure if the break balance would effect the exit speed).
    In any case, thanks a lot for the videos, I found them useful. Shame, that we can't exchange our "ghosts", I found it very helpful as you can compare various driving.

Ilgoth likes this.
  3. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yeah setting it all the way might bog you down on easier corners as it affects so heavily, when all you wanted would have been little tap on breaks. Having full front end makes breaks so responsive that it's too effective for some turns.

Pointers on first sector
    # your 1st turn was almost on point, just a little pit too early from golden spot.
    # 2nd turn can be driven at full speed, especially with your breaking point
    # the sharp turn before harder break; release gas and turn in on the apex and pedal to the floor when you feel confident

The Triple S before long straight is the hardest to be honest. It demands some rhythm, and if your first turn blows then you lose a lot of time. I tend to break rather early, and then glide in while turning. Bit after apex full throttle and if you did not slide too deep you can stay on throttle for the rest of it.

The hard break on the downhill (your video 1:20 mark), I go on breaks at the start of the blue curbs. No matter what car class you are driving, that seems to be the right spot most of the time.

The tight chicane is something you just have to grind and grind in order to find out that you can get through with high speeds. I spent two hours on this track back in May, just to learn it. I might be mental, but I'm pretty sure some people go through without tapping breaks.

You should try some other camera angle, at least the one you used here I personally struggle most with. I dont find boundaries when I try it. I don't know if my eyes just fool me, but I dont even get the steering smooth, but with in-car it feels buttery smooth. Most people favor the angle where you don't see your car at all, I favor in-car as I somehow enjoy the "realism" it gives. Also forces you to learn and feel your car's proportions with seeing very little. That's major thing in races.

4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    (this photo is from the race linked below, and it was edited with in-game editor. I love how much you can do with it. I am the white one. ;))

Couldn't help myself, decided to join Test Season 4 after seeing the track listing. :rolleyes: I am confident enough to race on manual now, first race was yesterday on my favourite track Suzuka. Qualification was decent, although I did leave some room for improvement, my last qualification lap went down the drain after spinning to the sand.

Race itself went nicely, made two overtakes and got one position for free after some guy spinning the first turn. The british guy in front me drove well, he didn't faulter at all regardless of me breathing on his neck. Takes some nerves! Have to say I love this game, it feels amazing to race against guys on similiar skill level - changing your gears manually and adjusting break balance on the fly. :p:p:D:D

Left all race info visible, you can see my lap times and gear changes throughout.

Test Season 4:
    Cars in use:
    Gr3: BMW Z4
    Gr4: BMW M4

Point Race 1: Gr3 Class in Suzuka. P6 ---> P3, netting me 610 ranking points. World's 22nd within BMW drivers.

5. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I try to do some practicing on tracks whenever I just can, I believe Suzuka I do well as is so moved on to learn something else. Nurburgring GP is a fun one.

edit// Posted that bit early. After eating, I already clocked 0,6second faster time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    As I said my bronze achievement did not count as the servers went offline on Monday evening as soon as I got it! Your videos really helped as I saw a number of spots where I was too cautious with breaks and acceleration. Adjusting the breaks helped too, although to be honest they did not teach that in any of the driving school challenges ;) and I did not bother to read the manual. :p
    I also switched the camera view to the cockpit - it is definitely better for this challenge than the car view - I can better tell how my steering is turned. I used the car view in the multiplayer races, as it is easier to see the other cars around but then I noticed the radar "blinkers" - something else they did not have in the teaching.

And, oh! You've been grinding this since May! Though! That surely paid off in better times. :D

7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yeah I received closed beta key, and played extensively for May / June. I also tried to be as vocal as I could, had some major design issues in online races but thankfully they fixed them too (mainly sportsmanship rating stuff). Dragon Trail was the most common track for beta, right after Nurburgring Nordschleife.

GT -series has never been too good at teaching its games. Car settings is one thing that they have never provided too much help with, although manual explains it like "softer springs makes car more responsive to changes in surface". Good info, but doesn't exactly explain in detail how it affects the handling and speed. Granted for now it seems you are not allowed to do own car settings for online races, so knowing about these isn't big of a deal. If you wanna read though, I found this guy's words on it helpful. (he has PDF linked in OP post)

Break Balance is something you gotta keep trying out and see what you like for which track. Finding a suitable fix might help you improve a turn that was previously a pain. Also traction control! Many times it is unnecessary high as default, especially for slower car class. For Gr3 class I mostly have it at 2, with a wheel controller I would lower it rightaway.

8. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    So finally Gran Turismo: Sport received something that I have been wanting for a long time. Online races have refueling and tyre wear.

I can finally bring in more the strategy side into the race, and play even more mind games. Love mind games... Forcing other guys into errors is my juice. Just tried a normal race and to me it seems very solid. 10 lap race, everyone started with about 9 laps worth of fuel (given you use standard power level), going full throttle all power seemed to take you around 7 laps but it is not the fuel that challenges - the tyres.

I consider myself very easy on the tyres, and yet they started to die on me around lap 5 and felt I was forced to pit lap 6, they were way too slippery for me to keep up. I only got one race experience on this, but very excited. Seems well made, and forces you to think. 90% of the guys seem to think going 100% power all the time is the answer. Will see. I need some math now.

9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Been enjoying GT: Sport last week, most of the time painting cars... Here's my Lexus RC F GT3 that I plan to rock in this week's races.

Lexus RC F GT3 (Emil Frej) - scape.jpg

Lexus RC F GT3 (Emil Frej) - scape 2.jpg

mamutas likes this.
  10. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Small 360 showcase of it.

Sataric likes this.
  11. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    Real shame this doesn't translate into good driving in PUBG @Ilgoth :rolleyes:

12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    1. I am the fastest driver you ever had.
    2. I might be prone to have 'accidents'
    3. Dacia wasnt painted by me
    4. Get beat @stephB

stephB likes this.
  13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Full race posted. Spoiler: I did good. I think it is because I look good!

mamutas likes this.
  14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I am ON A ROLL. Another great result, and boy is it INTENSE. Sadly it doesn't really show in replay mode, but my fuel management made this into a win. Strategy was on point, pitting lap later than default tactic proved to be the scale tipper.
    ++ this decreases the risk to get stuck in traffic
    // hard to pull off as it is mentally hard to deliver one fast and clean lap on demand
    -- to make it happen, you also have to manage tires (luckily my driving style supports this)

I make it look easy and that is why @stephB don't see the value in it. :rolleyes:

Lot of action, begins with defending and then challenging guy ahead, then into tactics and more defending. Good race with good racers.

15. stephB

stephB Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    stephB
    Cyanide Username:
    stephB
    Country Flag:
    Great racing @Ilgoth , especially that second race, was close for a long time. Your lap times were very consistent and no major mistakes, unlike the two leaders in the first race :)

Ilgoth likes this.
  16. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Short four lap race with lower car class.

17. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    One-make race (everyone with same car). That asshole got under my skin, but Nuffle was there to guide the light.

18. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    heh screw you ricey 2112

Ilgoth likes this.
  19. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    The second time he tackled me on side really lost me. In time I lost about two seconds, while he took no penalty (while I actually took one second of penalty from corner cutting lap 2, might have gained 0,2seconds from it :rolleyes:).