1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modelling Great Homemade Blood Bowl Pitch

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
  2. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Wow. I just which I had space for a pitch like that... and the ability to make one that is...

/SorroW

3. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Great Stuff... but it has to be played sideways... which is weird... :p

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Visiting my first Blood Bowl tournament this spring, I made a couple of realizations and one of them was that it's commonplace for people to play sideways (we don't at our club, also we're a lot more fiercely competitive than most people :p). I think that in this case it'd be worth the awkwardness :)

Amazing looking pitch. It's not quite as awesome as the one made from a ruined temple that was posted a couple of weeks ago, but it still looks awesome and also a lot more functional :)

5. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    nice..... and in my city? :D Might have to go to Sandgroper cup May next year. :cool:

6. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Sideways - conventional way of playing in my mind. The dugouts are there in front of you and for most people playing on a table, its the only way to fit it on the table and sit comfortably.

Its only these tournament photos where I've seen people play standing up at the table.

That said, after nearly 700 games on Cyanide, it does feel weird looking at it sideways when I get the board out.

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    The majority of tabletop players from my experience play lengthways, usually with the dugouts at the side.

8. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I've always played sideways on TT, to the extent that I feel much more comfortable and play better (or at least less badly) by rotating the camera on the Cyanide game.

9. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Its weird... makes more sense to see it from the ends, not sides. The only time I played TT was like that...

But then I guess real life American Football Coaches watch it from the sides... ;)

10. Weeble1000

Weeble1000 New Member

Country Flag:
    But viewing from the ends makes you feel like you are IN the action, rather than watching the action. I suppose it depends on whether you wanted to view the game as a "coach" or as a "player."

Most miniature games tend to be played with the players behind their miniatures. This helps to create a sense of immersion into the actions of the models as you are closer to viewing things from the perspective of your soldiers. You are "with" your miniatures, so to speak, rather than viewing them from the perspective of a third party.

I like to play from the endzones. I put my little coach avatar on the sidelines. I actually designed my BB stadium to have the dugouts right behind the endzones. The field is scored onto a 2" thick panel of extruded polystyrene, so the dugouts are literally below the surface of the pitch.

The location is convenient for the coaches as you can easily command all of your miniatures from your position behind the endzone, and I like to imagine that it also provides some additional amusement for the spectators. Run too fast into the endzone and you could end up falling into the opposing team's dugout! And you thought being pushed into the crowd was dangerous!

11. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    To be honest in my experience, it always really depended on how much room there was around the table in the house you were playing at, so that's how I grew up playing the game from the side, plus when you're a kid, reaching the middle from the end it impractical.

Just took that as normal from then on. :D

12. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Lol ! Good explanation GB !! The small kid arm makes sense !

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Thinking back to childhood I recall we usually played on fairly small tables, so we could walk around them as needed. (Not that I played more than 10-20 games back then)