1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have i been made a fool?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by McCarnby, May 16, 2020.

1. McCarnby

McCarnby New Member

Country Flag:
    Hey everyone

So i started the hobby all fresh and had a major first haul at our local miniatures shop. Since i had no clue i let the store guy guide me through the store. I said i need the almanac and gave me the 2017 one. He said thats all i need. At home i find out theres an 2018 and now even an 2019 one! Did he fool me?! Did i buy an outdated book i cant really use now?

2. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I am pretty sure the 2017 almanac is the best one you can buy. Later almanacs cover the spike editions, which go into more detail in few select races.

McCarnby likes this.
  3. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Well, it's not ideal because newer almanacs have updated team rosters and skills but 99% of the old Almanac should still be applicable. For the rosters and new players, you can go to Fumbbl.com to see them anyway.

Now the Head Coach Handbook....that's the big one.

McCarnby likes this.
  4. McCarnby

McCarnby New Member

Country Flag:
    I saw the headcoach is that must have when i own the base game already?

5. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Not really. The Almanac you have plus looking up a few players stats online should be enough to play. Even the Head Coaches handbook will be obsolete eventually when they release more teams.

6. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I love how they went from a fanmade Living Rulebook with everything in it to this mess :D

burning_phoneix and McCarnby like this.
  7. McCarnby

McCarnby New Member

Country Flag:
    I as a new player am genuinly confused with the rulebooks, spikes, coaches habdbooks and almanacs. I have no idea what to use and what still to buy

8. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    IRL DLC lol

Don't worry, your Almanac plus these rosters should be sufficient:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com...019/10/BB_Head_Coach_Handbook_63-80_Teams.pdf

McCarnby likes this.
  9. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I've complained to GW about the situation as I wanted to get the latest rules in some format and they weren't even able to explain to me what I needed correctly.

So you can either get the Head Coach Handbook which should have everything up to this point from the Almanacs, Death Zones etc, though there are a few errors in it.

The Inaugural Almanac adds the league rules and some races
    The 2018 Almanac adds some more races
    The 2019 Almanac adds some more races
    The Alamancs basically compile the Spike magazine releases along with any White Dwarf content from that year

The Spike magazines add a single race per issue and then get bundled into an Almanac every so often. I believe to date the content from all but issue 8 which had the Ogre teams in are in either an Almanac or the Head Coach Handbook.

Not all of the races have been re-released for BB2016 but 23 teams are in the file that BP linked https://www.warhammer-community.com...019/10/BB_Head_Coach_Handbook_63-80_Teams.pdf

I would only really buy the books if you want all the extra content, they are a bit expensive and not really needed. There will at some point be a single book compiling them all but I think that is some way off until they redo all the races. There are also rumblings of a new edition being made and Blood Bowl 3 coming out... I'm not sure what they will do rules wise, I'm sort of expecting them to mail it in and just put in two new plastic teams and a new pitch with an updated rulebook.

Gallows Bait likes this.
  10. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Heard rumours that MA will be capped at 9 and they'll try to simplify AG in a single roll number.

11. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Based on trends in 40k rules and such like I could easily see them changing the rules and stats around AG actions. Why add additional modifying +1 for attempting each different action when you could just make the roll clearer in a single stat?

12. burning_phoneix

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    I still don't know how they're gonna implement it though. Sure giving 2+ instead of AG4 makes it known that doing AG actions is a 2+ roll but what happens when you get an AG5 and need to make a pickup in 3 tacklezones? Is it a 2+ with a +1 bonus and a -3 bonus to pickup? In the end, we're back to the same problem.

13. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    1+ and 0+ with 1's that are always failures. There is a reason if no player can reach agi 7 :D

14. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Apart from death rollers dodging which dodge as if AG7. It is just AG7 is still at AG6+ on the table.