1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from the states

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dodger, May 12, 2012.

1. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, I played a few games of table top BB back in college, and really enjoyed it. I saw the DE edition in a retail store a few weeks ago so picked it up and have been having a blast with the game. Of course, now that I'm getting the basics down the AI isn't posing much challenge and I'd like to get into some online league play. I ordered the LE edition last week (right before Chaos Edition was announced) and should have it tomorrow. i was wondering if there's any tips on what I should practice to prepare for online play before I join a league, and if anyone had suggestions for league(s) a brand new central time zone US player might join.

Also, I saw a mention of a 'community pack' that looks like a player mod with higher res character models mentioned in these forums, does everyone recommend using that, and it doesn't cause any problems for league play?

Thanks for the tips!

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    For tactics and so forth, definitely give the main pages of this site a read - Coach has written some great articles on key elements such as cages, stalling a cage, breaking a cage, marking players. There's also some very handy team guides.

Regarding a league, I know that there are a number of US timezone based leagues - the largest I think being BBNA, so you might want to look them up. We do also have our own Crunch Cup here and this does include a mixture of European, US and other players across the world, though when you are dealing with mixed timezones it can help to have a reasonably broad availability to play matches.

Largely the community mods are single player I think, in terms of any new teams and such they can only be implemented there.

But the graphics updates and so forth are usable without interfering in multiplayer as they only affect your own view of those characters.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I use the community mod pack thingamy and it's never caused me any problems in online play. It's a very nice addition in my opinion!

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Welcome :D

And you can mod all UI details without interfering with online play, so go ahead and add whatever you want. :cool:

5. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Welcome !

As for real playing (not AI) just go into AULD or Naggaroth to see how playing real people works out. Its good practice... if not good leagues.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Actually it would seem that in Auld you have good odds of meeting players that are as bad as the AI (and some of those who are better players are jerks, so it is no fun learning from them).

Naggaroth is a little better, so join it and Crunch Them All (then request a game in the Crunch Them All thread) - once you are past 10 games total (as an online coach) you can search for "Forum Open League" and apply there with a new team as well.

(There are jerks in FOL as well, but at least they can be banned from there, so fairly uncommon that people are worse than passive-aggressive luck whiners :p)

7. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Sig Yoink.

8. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    FOL coaches are harder to play against though... so its for later

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'd like it taken to the record that I in no way thought about you when writing that sentence. :p

10. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    It fits how i feel sometimes, and certainly fits my early blogs ;)

11. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Like when you fail the first 2d block you try each turn, three turns in a row, using a reroll each turn making them 3 double 2d fails in a row?

haha not to whine passive aggressively or anything...

12. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Is a jerk like the guy who disconnects and the game recognizes he's the one that disconnected but threw a bunch of net sync errors at me until I gave up trying to 'retry' so it awarded him a concession and 2 MVPs instead of letting me have mine even though he disconnected and I tried to stay in, who was then advertising for another game in lobby like less than a minute later?

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Even if there sometimes seems as if some people have figured out how to cause net sync errors, this has not been proven in any way - and plenty of people get completely legit net sync issues, due to problems with the latest patch.

A jerk is more like the one disconnecting their internet cable, being away for four minutes, reconnecting to see if you are still there, then if you are they disconnect for another four minutes and if you are not they wait it out to take the win.

Other jerks will spew profanities about you being a lousy player that wouldn't be able to find your own behind with both hands and a map and it's only your ridiculous luck (in succeeding with two 3+ rolls in the same round) and their horrible luck (example usually consisting of risky plays) that lets you win.