1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwarf Help me learn to beat dwarves

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by G20, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

Spread the field

I just beat a 220-tv dwarf team (played by an excellent coach) with a 180-tv vampire team in a private league. Here's how:

1. SPREAD THE FIELD. I can't say this enough, and I'll come back to it below. If the dwarves manage to get you all clumped up, you're going to lose.

2. UNDERSTAND THE SKILL INTERACTIONS. Overall, dwarves have below average stats. They win by having lots of awesome skills (block and tackle to start, then guard, stand firm, and mighty blow among others). If you have dodge players, you want them next to the dwarves that don't have tackle; if you have fend players, you want them next to the frenzy/piling on pieces. Don't get obsessional about it, but some player on player match ups are better than others - you might as well get the right ones. If you are playing a relatively squishy team (like humans or vampires), it's helpful to have a lot of wrestle.

3. DO NOT GANG FOUL THEM OR TRY TO ELIMINATE THE AG3 PIECES. Gang fouling clumps you up (see #1) and they have thick skull, so you'll usually just stun them anyway. In the highly unlikely event that you manage to remove all the AG3 pieces from the board, they will - wait for it - pick the ball up with an AG2 player (succeeds 75% of the time with a reroll). And you'll never get all four out of the game anyway; that KO'd piece will always come back when it's your turn to kick. Getting a numbers advantage is great, but if you don't have Claw, you're not going to do it against a good dwarf team. Just accept that. You hit dwarves so you can run by them. Even if you kick them while they're down, they usually get back up.

4. DEFENSE. You need to spread the field. Put one of your players in base-to-base contact with each dwarf such that the dwarf can't move without dodging and so that it moves away from the action if it pushes you and follows up. It is particularly important to mark any dwarves with guard in this manner.

Any piece you have who can't mark a dwarf threatens the ball carrier from as many sides as possible. If each of your players ties up one dwarf, you should get a shot at the ball carrier (one-die is fine, especially if you have wrestle and a reroll handy). Pursue the ball carrier aggressively.

You want the dwarf player to throw one-die blocks on you (see Sceadeau's risk management strategy in another thread on this forum). Even better is if he dodges or moves guys to get two-die blocks on you. If you've positioned correctly, every dwarf devoting his actions to hitting your guys is not protecting the ball carrier.

If there are only a couple turns left in the half, you can avoid base to base contact and make double columns, but it's tough to hold up that way for 8 turns if you have AG3, AV7 players; it's better to go after the ball. Vampires are particularly good at this, since you can break a cage more easily.

If you have kick and the runners don't have kick-off return (what are the odds of that?), this is even easier.

5. OFFENSE. It's still all about spreading the field. Get the ball to safety (usually deep in your half), then spread your guys out as scoring threats. In this case, don't stay in base-to-base contact until you know which way you're going (pass or run; left, right, or center). Then use your players to tie up the dwarves that might give you trouble. Stalling is fine if you can do it, but don't do anything that risks not scoring a touchdown.

6. A DEEP BENCH. My vampire team has 16 players. In league play against dwarves, you should have a lot of guys, especially if you have a low-armor team. I know this is a tougher proposition in a matchmaking environment.

I've never played humans, but I would try the same strategy with them. It works great with vampires against bashy sides, and especially well against dwarves.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. DamanArress

DamanArress Member

Country Flag:
    This was a great read. I think I'm going to compile stuff like this!

3. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice one Steve... whenever I'm getting the upper hand against dwarves I tend to clump up... and then things start to get bad... :rolleyes:

4. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks so much for the pointers in this thread, especially to Steve w/ the blueprint. I no longer fear dwarves. Steve's plan and nhm's tip to keep two squares between all of my players is really the key. Adding to that, having my own MB/PO guy and keeping him well screened is crucial. Breaking armor is against dwarves is a rarity with no claw player so making those armor breaks pay can really make the difference.

5. FAButzke

FAButzke Member

Country Flag:
    I was going to post but Steve covered up pretty much I was going to say and more. =)

I only kinda disagree with his "Defense" statement. When playing against dwarfs, I found out that if you offer them free blocks like that, you're going to lose players :p
    Unless I play a heavy STR team, I can't imagine marking closely a dwarf like that. (I did that and it went badly for me :p) I usually give them space and force them to blitz and dodge their way around. Marking them closely only with STR 4+ and STR 5+ players or several players with Guard.

The offense part is exactly what I do. I even go for a passing game when the running game isn't working (That's when it pays to have a Thrower and a Catcher even on a rather slow and low agi team (My lovely undead) If you offer them different targets (two or three players deep in their field) you should draw their attention elsewhere.

Also, don't forget that, if you're playing vamps, you can hipnotize their players. (I haven't played a vamp team yet so I'm only speaking theoreticaly here).

6. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Dwarves are a low ST team, so marking them up all across the field can work. It's not something I'd do every turn of course, as they'll generally win an attrition battle.

The trick is to find the right moment to go all in, and keep spread out enough they can't get full use out of all their Guard. If you can force them to make 1d blocks or dodges you're usually in good shape.

I find the main angle to work against dwarves is their poor scoring potential. They can have trouble actually scoring against a tenacious defense, and even if you can't stop them if you can split them up you can often force them to score earlier than they like, and so have enough time for a counter-TD. Dwarves live by the 2-1 grind, but they die by it too.

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    +1

Marking accross the board in defense should not be done as a general rule, and specially not by expensive AV7 pieces (elves, GR).

Marking as suggested in defense is only to be undertaken by high AR teams, or otherwise teams with lots of expendable linos, and even then carefully considering the MB and Guards around. It is always a big risk, AV7 or not, to be left exposed to easy blocks, even if they are 1D.

I typically do this mark accross the board with my AV8 HiE as a last resort when I see I can not otherwise stall their advance with a double column defense line etc.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012