1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics Help me understand formations, receiving and caging

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Wendek, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    Hello,

So I have a few questions, mostly related to receiving and caging because I find that I always end up failing when it's my turn to receive. Whether it's against the AI (which is still my main opponent for now, partly because I have no internet during the week :p ) or a human opponent, I usually score more when I'm kicking. In fact I often don't score at all when receiving, either losing the ball and giving away a TD or just stalling the game completely (and involuntarily). Which is boring by the way, but that's beside the point.

For my questions, assume a Chaos team of TV ~1100 (12 players with 4 Warriors and 1 Minotaur, but no lvl 2), though it's still mostly generic questions but that's my "main" team.

1) Whom should I put on the LoS ? Does it differ between receiving and kicking ? Minotaur there seems pretty obvious, but what about the rest ? Right now I place 2 CWs alongside him all the time, the idea being that they're not going to be easily knocked down unless the opponent commits many players (or plays a stronger team). Also I've seen people place all three players near each other and other times there's one square between every player (like "CW - M - CW" or "CW M CW"), is one better ? Situational ? What about a Necromantic team ? Would it be two golems and a zombie, or three zombies ? Does it depend on kicking/receiving ? What would the general guidelines be ? (since I'm not playing *only* Chaos after all)

2) Does the formation in general change between kicking and receiving ? Right now I use 4-4-3 (or is it called 3-4-4 ?) all the time, with the only difference being that when I'm receiving I move two Beastmen inwards and towards the bottom (so, one square in diagonal from their normal position) so that they can more easily fetch the ball if it's kicked deep in my half.

3) How the fuck do I use a cage ?! I guess maybe I should have opened with this one because it's the main question. I just don't see how I'm supposed to use this. (and yes I've read the article on this site, of course, but I still can't seem to make a correct use of it) Even a CW who is ST4, the opponent only needs three players to blitz one of the corners, and then at the very least I have one guy marking my carrier. Maybe another one who can enter now that there's a space open. Afterwards I see two possibilities, both of which seem bad :
    -Either I dodge (which isn't that hard with AG3 into no TZ) but then I only have my two forward corners available, as one is down and the other is marked. So unless I had some backup nearby, I now have a cage of two players, which isn't really a cage. And if the opponent managed to break the first one, he'll likely break this weaker one as well.
    -Either I block/blitz away his marker(s) but now he has 3-4 players right near my cage and I can't move forward or I end up isolated like in the first situation. Not to mention I seem to get double skulls very often when it's critical like that, part of the reason I seem to somehow prefer dodging. So it seems like it'll be even harder to break away next turn, until the point where there's one giant clusterfuck and there's absolutely no way to "move" the cage except by passing (which is not very likely to succeed with level 1 Beastmen).

Even if he doesn't manage to break the cage, how can I progress forward with it ? The way is blocked, even if I block his two guys with my two forward corners, they'll get up next turn (not like I can plan on breaking the armour every time, so I'm supposed to have a plan that works when they're only prone), and again there's the issue of having two of my guys locked. And that's in the "good" case where I didn't roll skulls, or pushed back, or both down against guys with Block.

Also another last cage question : where should it be formed initially (assuming the ball retriver didn't use all his movement to get to the ball to begin with) ? Deep as possible ? Middle of the pitch ? About 3-4 rows from the LoS ? Does it differ depending on the enemy team ?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd like to be able to score for once when it's "my" half. :( Because right now I'd rather kick twice since honestly it looks like the guys against me are just as bad as me at receiving. I've managed to score in three or four turns more than once (against humans) when I was kicking, but when I have the ball somehow I can't do shit with it. And please don't say "well don't play Chaos", I like them. :( Besides every team probably needs some form of cage, I doubt a normal opponent is going to let you place your ST2 elven catchers deep in his half without knocking them down and then doing a nice gang foul with 3-4 assists.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. Hazbot

Hazbot Member

Cyanide Username:
    Hazbot
    Country Flag:
    Well this turned out to be quite a large string of useless advice that I'm deleting to preserve the eyes of people who know what they're talking about. I do have to admit I have quite a penchant for this kind of thing :D. I shall henceforth proudly wear the title "Hazbot - Dispenser of Lengthy Nonsense" in my signature for the sake of everyone, everywhere.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  3. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for your answer, very interesting points. Gives me more questions though :
    -Having the Minotaur on the LoS is actually there to make sure he has something to hit. I mean I understand your point, it's admittedly a bit of a waste of his power to have him hit a lineman, but Wild Animal means that I either want to block or blitz, likely every turn. Speaking of which, it's true that there's a risk to waste the blitz, but I'd honestly rather have that than a standing minotaur doing nothing, and failing the WA check on a blitz is less likely than on a simple move action (which is something I really want to avoid doing). Also, horns means that he can actually gets two dice blocks against other Big Guys (though assisting is easier most of the time), and needs only one assist against the rare ST6 guy. (though I don't think I'll ever see a Halfling team online in the open leagues, but I could see a +1 ST Tomb Guardian for instance)

-Interesting point about the carrier Warrior. It's true that this had slipped me because I tend to see the Beastmen as more agile... which is not actually the case I'll admit, but those burly warriors don't look like AG3 types to me. :p However, doing this does mean that my cage will be made of ST3 Beastmen, so won't it make said cage even slower and easier to stall for the opponent ? Isn't it also a waste to use one of the only four ST4 warriors to carry the ball since I'll likely have to make him take a few ball handling skills ? (at the very least Extra Arms, except if he rolls +1 AG very early) I wonder if you could use the same arguments as Coach does in his Bull Centaur article...

However now that I think about it, maybe I could have a "tanky" carrier in the form of a warrior and a more dodgey/agile one in the form of a Beastman ?

Also, once you have a few levels, do you think passing makes sense ? I tend to like passing (which gets problematic with me liking Chaos, though actually less than when I play Necromantic who really don't have any passing option imo), and natural access to Strong Arm can be a "poor man's accurate". Probably would also need a +1 AG and that's three of them already, which is unlikely as hell to happen. Or maybe the passing Beastman can also be the second carrier I was talking about earlier ? Extra Arms, Strong Arm, Sure Hands ? Absolutely no fighting skill would leave him in a difficult position though, but I don't know how often the opponent will go out of his way to target a guy sitting in the back.

4. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    let me try and undo some of the damage:

LOS
    Kicking:
    When kicking, your least valuable players go on the LOS. If a perfect defense is rolled on kickoff, you can try to move up more to overpower, but remember, the receiving team gets the first turn, he can bring up more players to win an LOS scuffle. If you were playing a faster team, that might be good, as he'd have fewer players further back to protect the ball, but with chaos, journeyman, rookie, or 1-skill beastmen go on the LOS when kicking.

Receiving
    When receiving, you want your LOS to be able to deliver 3 solid hits AND a solid blitz, AND protect the ball. The LOS should have a minimum of your stronger players necessary to get plenty of hits on THEIR LOS. the players should be arrayed so they can hit your opponents sideways into range of other players of yours on the LOS....alternatively, a weaker team might want to knock people straight back, especially on a failed knockdown. You want enough people off the LOS to protect the ball...if its a far kick, you don't need as many, since you don't have to cover the back. You also want 1-2 players open on the side for a blitz on a high-value target on the defensive side. A minotaur has the best damage potential, BUT is unreliable, as he has loner and can't use rerolls that well...set up 3d blocks with the minotaur or use him last, so a turnover doesn't prevent you from getting the ball.

Formations
    As you might be able to infer from the above, the differene between kicking and receiving is HUGE. When receiving, your goal is to protect the ball, hurt the other team, and move downfield. This means most of your players will be up as far as they can go...except for a few back to protect the ball if the kick is deep. EVERYONE who's played for any length of time has had someone kick to them, then roll a blitz kickoff event and get the ball back to score immediately. You want to protect the ball first, but not use so many people that you can't move up. There is no hard and fast rule for receiving setups, because you get to see what your opponent's setup is before making yours. The biggest thing to remember is to give your opponent more things to have to respond to than they have people to do it with.

On defence (when kicking), your goal is twofold...protect your best players, and stop the forward progress of the ball. against faster, weaker teams will require you to space out more, giving your players less protection, but covering more area. Stronger slower teams can be answered with formations designed for maximum protection, since you're likely at least as fast as they are. My favorite kicking formation to use with medium speed teams is 3-3-5, which looks like this:
    (C = chump, cheap player, G = Valuable player, O = Open space

OOCCCOO
    OOOOOOO
    COOCOOC
    OGGGGGO

What that does is make your LOS hard to push around (all grouped up), and protects your 5 most valuable players, making them VERY difficult to blitz.

Caging

You already seem to know HOW to cage....you seem to be missing the point. The point of caging is so that on a given turn, your ballcarrier (BC from now on) won't get blitzed immediately. Of COURSE your opponent is going to be trying as hard as they can to bust open your cage. If it couldn't be done, the game would be pretty dumb, because a cage would mean an auto-touchdown. I'll try to address the concerns in your post about caging:

1) they can and will bust a cage corner open, EXPECT it. If it doesn't happen on a given turn, thats you being lucky. WHEN it happens, you have your blitz to push away the offending player. If worst comes to worst, you can block away the offending player with the BC, though your cage won't move that turn, or will move 1 square.

2a) if they flood extra players into the gap, you can use the OTHER cage corners to block away the extra players, as they will have to put any extra players next to a different cage corner.
    2b) alternatively, remember that if all 3 of the squares that a player can be pushed to are full, you get to pick BOTH the square the blocked player goes AND the square that the player he is pushed into goes. An easier way to think about it is this: imagine your opponent has two players next to your ballcarrier. If you block one of those players with a cage corner, and all the squares you could hit him into are full, you could choose to push him into his buddy (also next to your BC) and push his buddy away...if you were lucky enough to get a knockdown, thats two players removed from contact with your BC in one block.

3) a cage only takes 5 players. You have 11. you will likely OFTEN need to swap out cage corners among unengaged players to keep the cage moving. conservatively, you'll want to keep about 8 players for moving the cage around, giving you 3 to use for hitting juicy targets and running forward to accept a handoff if things get desperate. You can also use extra players to move up in front of the cage to protect areas for the cage to move to on future turns, or to become future cage corners. It is certainly true that cage corners in contact will need to risk a dodge to move...you can use that in your favor though. If you leave occupied cage corner players behind, and use new players to become cage corners, then HIS players that he used to mark your cage are now stuck!

Keep in mind, it CAN take an entire half to move a cage up enough, but you often only need to get the cage near. ALWAYS be on the lookout for how your opponent engages the cage...if he hits it all from one side, it might be safest to just run your ballcarrier out the other side and forwards, using a couple players to screen off any players he can get free. You'll often have to move your BC side to side - the point and goal is to catch the defense committing too heavily to one side, then you switch and block him off while your BC runs for it.

I haven't been active on the forums in a while, so it hasn't really been seen in a while, but the advice thread in my signature has a lot of helpful hints on many various aspects of gameplay, and has a table of contents to make navigating the thread easier.

5. SovereignStrike

SovereignStrike Member

Cyanide Username:
    SovereignStrike
    Country Flag:
    Not much time to respond to this (and I'm sure the answers given are already pretty good) but I will say just one thing. Stop playing against the AI. It is terrible and will give you bad habits (for example, things that work against the AI but would never on a decent human opponent)

6. Hazbot

Hazbot Member

Cyanide Username:
    Hazbot
    Country Flag:
    Same as above, I shall remove this to preserve everyone's sanity.

7. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    Limdood => What do you mean "undo the damage" ? I'm hopeless ? :( Thanks for your answer anyway. What's your opinion on the other poster's idea to use a warrior as carrier ?

Also if I don't put the Minotaur on the LOS, it means I have to move with him (4+ roll), that's the part I don't understand, he's literally going to be a sitting duck half the time if he's not hitting anything (where he'll only be useless one sixth of the time). It's not like a Rat Ogre with his tail or the Beast of Nurgle with its tentacles, he has no particular presence if he's not hitting stuff. At least when receiving I don't see any other place for him. For kicking I suppose I could place him slightly further away (so he doesn't get knocked down during the first turn) and blitz him into the LOS the next turn ? Of course that's still one blitz that has to work, else I have a 150k player in the middle of my field who's doing nothing, well at least he has tackle zones unlike a Really Stupid player.

[Edit]Damn you answered while I was writing this one. So I think I can see your point about the carrier Warrior : he's not a carrier because of his skills, but he's just "the dude that picks up the ball", and he still develops fighting skills. That does sound relatively useful to at least speed up their leveling to 2 and get the almighty Block (although when I get a double on one I like taking Diving Tackle, but maybe that's the AI conditioning me with its perma-dodging, though my few human opponents have done it a lot too).

8. Hazbot

Hazbot Member

Cyanide Username:
    Hazbot
    Country Flag:
    I did tell you I'm rather new to this :D, so there's probably mistakes aplenty in what I wrote. For your own safety and sanity I recommend to consider to absolutely everyone else's advice above mine.

9. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    First, I agree to what Limdood wrote here.
    (No offense meant, Hazbot, but there are huge differencees between kicking and recieving, as well as some other minor stuff. I'm not a top coach by any means but I have some experience with bash teams.)

Now about two questions: Mino and Ballcarrier.

I don't use the Minotaur any more at all because of his unreliability. That being said, I think he has two main tasks: (1) binding key opponents (for which he should get Tentacles, maybe Prehensile Tail as well) and (2) cage breaking (with Horns and Frenzy). You will have to learn to control Frenzy. If the first block is a push, you move where your opponent was before - if you were not careful in choosing your "victim", then your second Frenzy block may well be 2 dice against you (2 dice, opponent chooses). On the other hand, Frenzy with Str 6 (Horns!) does not face this problem very often and is great for busting open big holes in opposing cages or other formations. You can also use it for Crowdsurfing - but we shall leave that out for the moment until you get a tighter grip on core tactics.

Your ballcarrier should be a beastman. Not because he is more agile (he is not) or because Warriors are needed elsewhere (they are, really) but because beastmen are faster. MA6 may not seem much compared to MA5 but trust me, it makes quite a difference. You will want to move your cage slowly (sometimes rotating your cage corners as Limdood described) and by turn 8 (or 16) the whole cage still may not have reached the endzone. So your ballcarrier will either hae to pass (risky) or walk on his own. So one more point of movement is one point less you have to move the whole cage up the field before turn 8 or 16. If you are close to the opposing endzone, control the area and have a reroll handy you can still try to handoo (or even pass) to a Warrior so he gets the SPP. This is reasonably safe because of his Agi3. Be sure that it will fail in crucial situations, though.

If you want to skill up a dadicated Ballcarrier beastman is up to you. It is not too difficult (Block, Sure Hands, some nice mutations) but you can just use any beastman with block and +MA almost as well which has two advantages: (1) the SPP get spread more around your team and (2) you don't waste SPP and skill slots for ballhandling stuff that you could better use in a fight (guard comes to mind, or MB, or a few more... Chaos has a lot of them).

10. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah I considered a Tentacles Mino in a more of a roadblock position, and if I can get him near a ball carrier I could have decent chances of not letting the guy move, and then bash his head on the next turn. That dude takes a hell of a time to level-up though, and so many useful skills could be taken on him. Would it make sense to get him Claw as a first skill (assuming no double) ? Since he's likely to be hitting the most resilient guys of the other team quite a few times, and he already has MBlow. That could also help his leveling I suppose, at the expense of not being useful for anything other than bashing.

11. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    If you want Tentacles, take Tentacles. Everything else is a bonus then.
    If you want a killer Mino, take Claw.
    (If you want a utility Mino, take Guard. Or maybe Claw first, but I'd go with guard before that for general utility.)

In my opinion, Beastmen make the better killers. They are more reliable. Start with MB, follow with Claw or PO according to taste. Then Block for chicken (like me) or Tackle before Block.

12. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    Yes, I intend to have one "pure killer" Beastman with MBlow + PO + Tackle as first skills. Though I know that he'll have issues without Block, but I'll mostly use him on squishy targets who almost all have Dodge. The Warriors would be "safer" killers without PO but with Block instead (and at least two will get Guard as second skill I think, others a bit later). Then again it's a bit silly to make so many plans since so far my teams tend to actually lose TV because they rack up injuries faster than skills... even as Chaos yes!

13. Limdood

Country Flag:
    by "undo the damage" i meant give you solid advice in contradiction to hazbot's. No offense, but he's incorrect from the start. In fact, i started reading hazbot's post and then had to stop and decided "i'd better come in and say something"

For the mino, if he's not on the LOS when you're recieving, its because you're going to blitz with him first turn...maybe your opponent put a player within surf range of the sideline or left a vulnerable piece open, and MB is the best odds to remove it. As far as what tjorne says, i agree - i no longer play chaos with a minotaur. I feel the beastmen and CWs are more than enough to fulfill any role on the team. Need to tie up a low armored, dodgy elf? your block, SF, Guard, Prehensile tail beast will do it....need to take out a troll? some guard players and a MB/Claw beast (they don't even need block) will do as well as the mino, and more reliably.

For CWs, i think they're terrible ballcarriers overall, except that they're FANTASTIC in a pinch. Rookie chaos have a great great perk - ANY player on the team (save the mino, if you use one), can pick up a loose ball equally well...and since MOST of your players will get block or wrestle first, it'll continue until a few players pick up second skills. As far as why they're poor ballcarriers, in addition to what you stated, that your cage will be weaker, which is true, they are also slower...beasts are more agile by using a broader definition of agile. They can cover more ground, get further away, and a dash from the LOS to the endzone needs 1 GFI from a MA6 in 2 turns, and 3 GFIs over the two turns from the CW.

In my opinion, CWs develop best as road blocks...they're better armored, have better skill access, and are more reliable than the minotaur, at the cost of 1 strength. a Block, Guard, SF CW is a pain in the rear for the opposition...throw a double and get him dodge, or diving tackle, or jump up, and he's a headache. Give him MB or claw on top of that (not before, its a waste to make a CW a dedicated killer) or tackle and prehensile tail, and he's your opponent's worst nightmare. And i can pretty much guarantee that over the course of a game, he'll become more irritating to your opponent than yet another MB/Claw/PO player.

14. mrpier

mrpier Member

+1 for a player who doesn't use a mino anymore. It's one of my favourite big guys to be sure, and really fun when he wrecks the other team, but he's just too often a liability. Frenzy can get him into trouble, wild animal can ruin your blitz, which is really important for killer-chaos, injuring other players will win you matches. Only 8AV makes the mino a juicy target for Block players even with only one dice hits, and with WA he'll stay down just as likely.

As for the other questions you've got good advice already, but here's some roles I look to develop when I have a chaos team.

Killer: Self-explanatory, your normal MB, Claw, PO, Tackle, I usually take block on mine though, and I develop a Beastman this way, I would say no more than two on a team, protect them well. Frenzy is useful here, but I don't take it as it reduces my abiltiy to protect them drastically. I also run with 4 rerolls so I occasionally can/and do reroll pushes/both downs with the killers in the hope of getting rid of good oppononent pieces.

Sideline-horror: Block, Frenzy beastman (Stand firm is obvious, MB for extra hitting power). More reliable than a Mino for surfing.

Two ball carrier beastmen: This duty goes to the beastmen who rolls +AG or +MV first. Slightly different build, if I get an +AG, I develop it as a loose ball retriever, sure hands/extra arms, block, big hand, two heads, double is dodge.*+MV is more traditional, sure hands, block, extra arms. I want two to cover more of the backfield when receiving and if one of them gets hurt. Ball retriever plays on the offensive too.

Ball-hunter: Wrestle, Tackle, Strip ball, Mighty blow. One or two of these, just for taking down the ball carrier.

The rest is utility beastmen. Block, guard, MB/tackle depending on the league-environment.

For CWs I usually develop two as Block, Guard, MB and the other two as Block, MB, Guard or I might take claw earlier than guard for one to spread some fear on the LOS, and then take Tackle/Stand firm (or other usefull skill) after what fits.

I would probably always take a stat up except for +AV.

This is very much what I would consider an ideal mix, if you had all these players with skills this would be mid/high 2000TV territory and I don't think I've ever had the luck of fielding all the players I want at the same time as chaos. The beastmen are just too fragile for that.

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I agree with all of your builds generally, but don't understand why you would advocate Break Tackle on a beastman! :confused: You know that Horns does not combo with Break Tackle right? If you want a beastman safety to be able to dodge more reliably then Two Heads is the best skill for that (Dodge on a double).

16. mrpier

mrpier Member

Yepp, you are absolutely right. Don't know what I was thinking about.

17. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    So much quality information! You've almost convinced me to not get my Mino anymore, which is a feat considering I'm a pretty not-subtle dude and I usually like Big Guys (except the Really Stupid ones). But it's true that not getting him would allow me to start with all four Warriors right off the bat (I start with three currently) and still have a half-decent amount of rerolls. Also I have a bad habit of impulse-rerolling (getting better as I play more though) and it's admittedly a relatively terrible idea with a Loner.

One more Beastman probably plays in relatively well with the idea that I want to use one as a thrower at some point, since apparently no one has told me that it's completely retarded yet. I'm thinking that at the very least I'll need two with Extra Arms, preferably one with +1 AG instead so it's definitely not for the first games but it's in my plans at least.

18. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    We need to get Netsmurf and some Mino love in here, stat!

But you could probably wait with the Mino until he can be the first purchase - it's what I would do. It takes a strong stomach and a will to always blitz with the mino (unless it is against the ballcarrier, or the mino is in a position to block anyway) to play with a mino. But when he punches, he punches good. (Just the risk of him spending key parts of the drive munching the grass that is annoying)

19. Limdood

Country Flag:
    throwing or handing off is generally a desperation move. As much as possible, its nice to try to limit it to handing off (only 1 roll needed, and extra arms will affect it, since its a catch roll, not a throw). Even elves try to limit the amount of throwing they do, since each throw/catch is 2 more chances to roll a 1 and turn over.

Having a few Extra Arms beasts around is great, as having, say, 3 on the team means that after one has the ball (and only needs a 2+ to pick it up), you have two fairly reliable handoff targets around. Chaos are VERY versatile, since mutations basically work like not-all-the-time stat bonuses. Extra arms is +AG, but only on pickup and catches....horns is +ST, but only on blitzes, etc.

I have a rather goofy, and fun to play chaos team in Auld World that is aptly named "Dodgy Passing Chaos." I managed to get TWO beastmen both with +AG, Dodge, and block....i also have two Block/Dodge CWs....its a lot of team value to tie up (+70 for each beast for the AG and dodge) and i end up facing more skilled orcs and other teams a lot, but the goofy, crazy plays they can pull off are amusing...and the one MB/Claw/PO beast helps thin the ranks considerably.

As far as starting rosters go, 7 beasts, 4 CWs, and 3 RRs is pretty solid....you're pretty much set on RRs right away, and if you can get 1-2 games with no injuries worse than MNG, you have your apothecary too, and from that point on you're just building a bench and replacing unfortunate injuries. Alternatively, you could drop a reroll in favor of another beastman (for those that like fouling, like me) or an apothecary (for those that want a healthy roster and don't mind the 120k price tag on reroll #3)

20. Wendek

Wendek New Member

Country Flag:
    So, before I go into another post about passing and receiving in general, another quick question about the Minotaur (well it works also for the Warpstone Troll actually) in general. Let's assume I went the roadblock route and chose Tentacles for his first level-up, and let's then assume that I was very lucky and got a double 6 on the second level-up. What do ? ST6 makes Tentacles extremely strong (a ST3 player needs an 9+ on his 2D6 to escape) but of course that means passing up Block without any proof that he'll ever get another Double (not to mention that level 3 seems to be the highest most Big Guys will usually reach). What would you recommend doing in this case ? Of course that's entirely hypothetical.

Anyway my main question is again about the same problems I have with receiving. I think I can explain a bit more why I like passing so much, and maybe you guys can try to make me understand why it's a faulty reasoning (or maybe it's just simply REALLY inadapted to Chaos). So, I've realized the reason I fare better when kicking is that the ball is already in the opponent's part of the pitch (thanks Captain Obvious ?). So if/when I get it, it's not that far from the endline and more importantly, the opponent will usually already be behind because he went towards my endzone, not his. So, I get the ball, I get as far away as possible towards the endline and then I use the rest of my players to tie the opponent's as much as I can (and unless they're very slippery players, they're quite likely to fail some of the dodges and turnover very fast) . Next turn I score and try that the same shenanigans again for the rest of the half. When it works (and it does work at times, even against humans although I have to assume they're beginners and/or lowskilled) it can actually be pretty impressive.

Basically I'm extremely agressive, and a good half is one where I spent at least 70% of the time in the opponent's part of the pitch. It's very much a "counter"-based playstyle, where I try to force the opponent into making mistakes (or try to make him do as many rolls as possible to maximize the chance of a bad roll and turnover) and then exploit them for a lightning touchdown.

The problem with this is two-fold I'd say. First, stalling is something that feels alien to me, and reading even a few articles and posts around here makes me think that it's a bad/terrible thing. But since I actually want the opponent to have the ball, when I'm able to score I usually don't delay it (Usually I only delay if the opponent has a bashier team than mine (so, not when I play with Chaos but more with Underworld or Necromantic) and I don't want to relive the whole LoS thing again). Delaying means less chances of scoring again in the half, and also more chances of the opponent catching up on my carrier (more like "stealer" really) who will most likely be pretty exposed since he ran off the previous turn after his teammates helped clear a path for him and were thus unable to move along.

And then there's the fact that obviously none of this works when I'm receiving. Simply put, I don't know what to do with the ball. I'm always afraid of derping when I'm "in charge" of the ball, which ironically makes me do silly moves that end up doing just that : losing the ball in MY half of the pitch. It always feels so... insurmontable to break a wall while having to protect a carrier. Every turn is the same thing : knock a few people down, try to move up the pitch, then opponents get back up and close in on the cage while adding reinforcements. Repeat once or twice and suddenly everything is a giant clusterfuck... except that the sides are often free at that point. Oh look, a Beastman is standing there unmarked in that sideline! And another one can blitz the carrier free! Let's do this... and then pass to speed things up and not let the opponent rebuild the clusterfuck. Either it works and my lone Beastman has decent chances of making it to the endzone... either it doesn't and I look stupid with my impatience that costed me a turn and likely a touchdown. So basically I like passing because it lets me go faster than the opponent can react. It's opportunistic : wait with the ball in relative safety, engineer an opening with all the brawlers and then pass to the guy who's free. I guess it's reverse from the normal mentality : you guys want to pick up the ball first and then advance with the carrier in a cage, while I try to advance first and then give the ball to the guy who's available. Of course, as noted by several people already, it does pose issues especially when playing AG3 team... but I've realized that's how I play and maybe knowing this can help you understand how to guide me ? :p

So... here's how I actually think when playing this game. Is it that bad ? Are there ways to make such a playstyle work at low to mid-level play ? (I have absolutely no intention of becoming a master Blood Bowl player, but I'd rather not suck terribly either :p ) I'd be a bit sad of losing Mutations but maybe there's some golden team made for me and I just haven't realized it yet. I'd rather avoid an AV7 one though, because I think I've said it before but I'd like to see my team evolve forwards instead of losing Team Value after each game. x)

Anyway, thanks for reading this and for your answers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014