Help: new team selection

pauljamesog

Rookie
Country Flag
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time BB fan but have been out of the game predominantly since 3rd Edition. Back in the Day I was a keen Skaven player , mostly for one off games, round robin type events and our own Shamrock Cup:
the Man Cave: The Shamrock Cup

Well, I'm getting back in the ring and taking my 9yr old padawan learner son with me - he has been trained on Space Hulk and other games and he is ready for the big one! He has eyes on an Undead team in due course but wants to start with orcs. Great stuff.

I on the other hand dont have a lot of enthusiasm for my old Skaven. I scored a lot with them, played them a bit, am far from being a "master" but they dont present a challenge to me anymore. And I'm still sick of them getting squished even after all thsi time. I need a change. Something shiny..

So whats next? Actually I think Orcs would be my first choice, but not with the Lad playing them. I need a new style, but perhaps a shift all the way to dwarves would be too much.

Noting that we will mostly play resurrection style games (though id love to play a development league, its not realistically going to happen) - what do you suggest?

cheers!
Paul

maxcarrion

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I’m going to (some might say predictably) suggest Dark Elves, I think they are a fascinating team they are both difficult to play well and entertaining and impressive when they are. They are, like orcs, competent at running, bashing and throwing but come at it from agility instead of strength. They also have a solid starting roster with a good spread of ball handling and mobility capabilities (AG4 and dump off) and some consistent blockers.

Other than that, I think the stunty/strength teams would give you some interesting games, Ogre’s or Lizards are both capable of some interesting agility plays while also delivering a good bashing game. They’re both quite difficult to win with without ball handling skills and require some disciplined play to protect the little ones but that may even the playing field and give your padawan a fighting chance.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Elves are too similar to Skaven imo, if Dwarves is too big a shift perhaps Chaos Dwarfs might be worth a shot.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Humans is a very versatile team. Or take on some of the undeads - lot of fun and challence.

pauljamesog

Rookie
Country Flag
Thanks for the advice guys, Its all very much appreciated. Also trying to get my head around the rules updates since 3rd edition, which in the skills area are substantial.

Chaos Dwarves sound very interesting and my Shamrock Cup buddy has shifted to Dark Elves so I'll be facing them soon anyhow. Am thinking about a mix - an Orc team with a Troll and some gobbos to mix it up. A bit diffrent and fun, even if not the optimum combo. Will probably wait till the Lad shifts to undead to do this, whcih gives me some time to paint anyway!

happygrue

Rookie
Country Flag
I would suggest you look at Necromantic and Slann (coincidentally my two favorite teams...)

I think both can be quite good, but have a 'fun' challenging aspect to them. I also enjoy Skaven, but sometimes the GR just seem like a cheap way to win. Though if you enjoy watching your opponent swear they are usually good for it. ;)

Slann are challenging at the start in their lack of basic skills, but have some unique aspects to their play style. I find myself leaping much less (sometimes only once or twice a game if I am in control) than I did when I started playing them. But that THREAT of a leap both on offense and defense really makes your opponent sweat, and I think it really creates some fun situations. At the very least, blitzing the corner of a cage and marking the ball carrier with a Diving Tackle blitzer (all the better if he is a blodging sidestepper) is something that you can do on a great many turns, while keeping up a solid defense elsewhere. And when you are losing there is ALWAYS a chance for your diving catch catchers to come up with the ball, leap and dodge their way out of a cluster of enemies and make an amazing play. Even if you don't try it often, it is fun to know that you CAN score twice in the last four turns to tie the game. I rarely feel I am too far behind to catch up when I play Slann.

I recommend starting with 2 blitzers, 2 catchers, 7 line and 4 rerolls, or if you are sure you can keep your leaping in check, 2 blitzers 1 catcher, 8 line (12 players) and 3 rerolls.

Necro is another fun team, because of the wolves. You have mostly slow players, you are weaker than other bashing teams, mostly slower than everyone else, and don't move the ball particularly well. I find that enjoyable, because you really have to bring your A-game and adapt your tactics quite a bit depending on your opponent. But the wolves really make the team interesting. Coach has some great info on Necro players, so I'd take a look and see if they look interesting.
Necromantic | Blood Bowl Tactics

Good luck, and have fun!