1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardman Help vs Dwarfs

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Metronome, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Metronome

Metronome New Member

I am running a LRB5 league in my local game store. My next game is vs Dwarfs. I hate Dwarfs. I have a few questions that maybe you could help me with:

1.) My team is 6 saurus (1 w/ block) and 5 skinks (1 w/ sidestep, 1 missing the game). Should I take a journeyman skink, or $100k in inducement cash? If cash, what do I buy? Reroll? Bribe? Something else?

2.) Any general advice about how to take on dwarfs? Do I try to score quick? Or cage up? Should I try to foul some guys if can get a +3 or +4?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Sounds like you only have 10 players so I don't think fouling would be that great as getting someone sent off would likely be detrimental, especially as Dwarfs have high armour. Ergo I wouldn't take a bribe.

Taking a journyman would mean no inducements due to the cost of a skink, you could try taking an extra apothecary or two Bloodweiser Babes.

As for tactics they will be targeting your Skinks so use your Saurus to keep the Dwarfs at bay. As Dwarfs will be probably caging you can blitz a Saurus into the cage corner and then move another one in next to ball carrier as well. This will stall his cage up slowing him down and either force a hand off or a dodge from the ball carrier. Use your other Saurus to force him to move sideways rather than forwards, your higher speed will make moving the cage hard.

If you can score in about 3 of 4 turns that will also make life harder for the Dwarfs, don't stall for too long if he is getting at your skinks though, against Dwarfs you don't really need to worry about leaving them 4/5 turns to score compared to elves who can easily do it in two turns.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

3. Ork from Mork

Ork from Mork New Member

You have to have 11 players which means you have to take the journeyskink.

4. Metronome

Metronome New Member

Part 7 of post match sequence says you may add journeymen. I think i'd rather not so I can get better odds of MVP landing on a saurus.

5. Coach

Country Flag:
    You have to start the team off with 11 players before the first match at team creation. For games after that you don't have to take Journeymen to get up to 11 players if you would rather have the inducement money instead.

6. RedDevilCG

RedDevilCG Member

Aye, if you have less than 11 players, Journeymen are automatically added for free to bring you up to 11. There is no choice in the matter.

7. Coach

Country Flag:
    It isn't, it is the coaches choice and is optional, if you want to start the match with less than 11 players you can elect to do so. The only time you can't is for their first match because you must start the team with 11 players or more.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

Country Flag:
    He may mean in the Cyanide game where Journeymen up to 11 are non-optional.

9. Coach

Country Flag:
    Fair enough then!

10. Patchwork

Patchwork New Member

Those are the choices I'd pick between as well. Both would be very useful againts Dwarves. I think I'd lean towards the babes. They'll help with numbers on the pitch at the start of a drive, which is important considering you start a skink down and how much dwarves love outnumbering the opponents. Also it should help avoid your team getting ganged up on too much, which could get very bloody if you were unlucky and were a few players down from the start of a drive.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. RobitusinZ

RobitusinZ New Member

Comming from a Dwarf player, if you want to beat me, you have to spread your guys out and make me care about all 11 players on the pitch. Don't let me ignore anyone.

I have an advantage over you because of my skills. I can do a 1-die block on any of your players and be confident that it will end up in my favor the majority of the time. That also means that any Skink you leave unprotected is just fodder for whatever player I decide to send after it. Dwarf Blocker vs. Skink = 2-die block, and you go down on a Def. down, Def. stumbles (I have Tackle), or Both Down. Dwarf Blocker vs. Saurus = 2-die block, YOU choose the result = bad for me. I need 2 Dwarves to have a 1-die block on a Saurus. 3 Dwarves for a 2-die block. That's a lot of players, or a lot of luck that I have to contend with, so I would rather avoid the Saurus altogether if I can.

I really wish you had a Skink with Guard. I'd recommend using him as your ball-carrier and doing your own cage. 4 Saurus around a Skink with Guard = being protected by 4 Str 5 guys. That takes 4 Dwarves for a 2-die block, which makes it virtually impossible to do (3 Dwarves can surround your Saurus, but then the 4th would have to stand diagonal to one of the other Saurus, so you mark that 4th one).

You could still do your own cage, since it'd still take 2-3 Dwarves to commit to knocking over one of your Saurus. If you position your other Saurus so that you can replace the downed one when you move the cage, you can keep moving.

Also, Dwarves have crappy mobility, so depending on your position in the pitch, you may not even need to have all 4 corners of your cage covered.

Another thing - don't be afraid of interceptions. You only have to worry about Runners and Blitzers reliably intercepting your pass. All the others are Agi2 guys that MAY get lucky (but probably won't....and this is the land of 'probably'). Make that 4 or 5 square pass over a few Dwarves in order to hit a Skink in a better position - this goes into the "make me care about all of your players" bit. If I see every Skink as a threat, then I'm going after all of them. If you protect those Skinks with your Saurus, then I'm gonna have to go through the Saurus. That's an advantage to you.

In fact, if you're up for head games, make your first move a short pass between two skinks. If you make me fear your passing game, then that throws me off my own plan - that being, to kill or otherwise get all of your guys off the pitch.

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    I wouldn't do a short passing game with the skinks due to Stunty. With movement 8 and access to catch, hand off plays work very well if you need a quick score or want to move the ball a long way fast.

13. Patchwork

Patchwork New Member

Yeah. Skinks are awful at passing and anyway, hand offs are more then good enough for skinks to stretch a dwarven team or leave them in the dust if they ignored the possability.