Rules help with rules

MONGOR79

Rookie
Country Flag
Hello to all.I am a new coach and I am playing with a dwarf team.I'd like to ask some questions on rules:
1. dauntless is valid only on offensive blocks? (not when opponent blocks you?)
2. when you block a carrier how many scatter rolls you make before attempting to catch the ball? one or two?
3. with juggernaut if you have block and the opponent doesn't you may choose not to push?
thanks for helping

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
1. Yes, dauntless only work when you are the one committing the block - you are rolling the dice to see if your player has effectively summoned up the courage to make the block. When he gets blocked he doesn't get that psychological advantage. (p64)

2. The ball scatters one square, unless it lands on someone. (p11)

3. Providing its a blitz action. Yes, the skill is "may choose" - therefore by that wording, you could equally choose not to make it a push and accept the both down (and knock down the non-block player as a result). (p65)

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Just a point about 2: If you block the ballcarrier you only roll for scatter in case the ballcarrier goes down (is knocked down or placed prone) or you have strip ball and the ballcarrier doesn't have sure hands, in which case a push result is enough (or a defender stumbles converted to a push)

In all cases you roll the scatter from the square the ballcarrier ended up in - even if this is the same square as the one he started in (both down or stand firm)

Also note that stand firm doesn't ever protect against strip ball - only against moving.

(And while I'm at talking about stuff - note that if you are blitzing a wrestler with a block/juggernaut player you can block the victim as if he didn't have wrestle)

MONGOR79

Rookie
Country Flag
tnx for the info.I was just unsure about what to do and uncertainty makes the difference between life and death.by the way,do you know where I can find set up tactics?

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
A good set up really depends on what race you're playing and there's not really a comprehensive guide to setups and stuff. There is loads of good advice in individual blogs in the team development section but off the top of my head I can't give you specific links which is a shame. I can tell you what I try and think about when I set up and show you some of the ones I like. Also on offence it pays to set up according to how your opponent has so it's difficult to give you a cover all receiving formation.

With my High Elves on defence I have been setting up like this.

xxxx-xxLLLxx-xxxx
xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx
xxLx-xBxxxLx-xLxx
xLxx-TxxxxxB-xxLx

Sorry I know it looks terrible :eek: But basically I like this formation for an agility team. Firstly there's no easy route through it. Secondly if it's at it's weakest, it's through the centre. If he does attack through the center I know most of players will be able to reach his receiving threats and be involved with defence. No defence is perfect but this isn't bad. Also the way I've set up on the flanks mean no player can be frenzied out for a crowd surf, this is important too. Another thing is that early on my blitzers are my key players. So I protect one of them to make sure I have a reliable blitzer standing up. The Thrower is also quite well protected. Early on I like to set my blitzers up centrally so they cover most of the pitch. Once I have more Block and Wrestle sprinkled I mover them to the flanks. Against a slower team I could move all the players one square closer to the middle and close off that gap.

However once I have two Blodging Side Steppers, probably the blitzers at level 3, I could change it to this.

xxxx-xxLLLxx-xxxx
xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx
xBxx-xLxxxLx-xxBx
xxLx-TxxxxxL-xLxx

This means that anyone trying to blitz me will be risking not knocking over my player, and I can use side step and set them up for a surf next turn. Also having Side Stepping Linemen is a long term goal as having one or two on the LOS could be very frustrating for the opposition.

Once I have Kick and Catchers, I have a lot more speed, so against a slow team I could set up like this.

xxxx-LLLxxxx-xxxx
xxBx-xLxxLxx-Bxxx
xxxC-TxxxxCC-xxxx

Now this means if my slower bashier opponent wants to maximise his hits, he needs to stack his offence to one side. I can then kick deep to the opposite corner, and whether I get a blitz or not there's a decent chance I can cut his ball carrier off from his bashier players and stop a cage from forming. If he receives perfectly and manages to get the ball carrier safe, then I have the speed to get men in good position behind the ball instead and initiate a stalling defence. Against a fast team this formation would be practically offering them a TD.

But bear in mind they're all options and it's also a matter of what suits your playstyle. I'm not so good on bashy formations, but tend to use something similar to the first example.

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Nikolai II's touch up reminded me of a warning to give for the Cyanide version. If you knock the ball loose and it bounces to your frenzy player during its action, then it'll get buggy and end the player's action (this includes denying the second block if it's got one coming). Be careful who you block with, but even moreso if it's a frenzied player in Cyanide.

MONGOR79

Rookie
Country Flag
hello folks.one qbluestion:when a standing player is adjacent to an apponent can he declare a blitz to that opponent and then use the rest of his movement?

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yes. You can use this when standing up too just take of 3 squares of movement for standing up and one for the blitz.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Under the current ruleset horns will work then. You can also declare the blitz and not move a single square (maybe you didn't knock down the pesky sidestep diving tackler).

You can also move, block, and keep moving (unless you got both down on a wrestler, or used a chainsaw or stab)

MONGOR79

Rookie
Country Flag
when you have dauntless and frenzy at the same time, how many times you roll for dauntless?both?and yes I have dwarves that's why I am asking! :)

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Indeed, you do roll for Dauntless each time as each is a separate attempt to throw a block. This is noted in the Frequently Asked Questions at the back of the Competition Rules Pack. :)

MONGOR79

Rookie
Country Flag
I am in a new league where we have played just a tournament where we were 6 coaches and had 5 matches in league and 2 for play offs.Now we are having 4-6 new coaches and there is a lot of discussion of starting all over with new teams.I personally would like to keep mine.The higher TV is mine on 1630.What's your opinion on this?

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
I am in a new league where we have played just a tournament where we were 6 coaches and had 5 matches in league and 2 for play offs.Now we are having 4-6 new coaches and there is a lot of discussion of starting all over with new teams.I personally would like to keep mine.The higher TV is mine on 1630.What's your opinion on this?

Well here on the forums we have the Crunch Cup, which allows existing teams to be carried forward, but also accepts new teams too. We manage by assigning the experienced and rookie teams to separate divisions, with 4 divisions of varying levels of experience. This allows the group stages to in theory play in more balanced games, whilst allowing potential upsets with the top rookie reaching the final against the top experienced team.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag

That it would have been better to agree in advance. :D

Some leagues do reroll every time, some occasionally, and some accept new and old teams alike. (Most of the latter do usually allow new teams to play some "preparation" games to earn SPP and things like apothecaries et. al.)

Crunch Cup, for example, had "all new teams" for about five cups, then after that all teams from any cup were allowed to play. So that could be a solution. Play a new league with all rookie teams, then say that league three coaches can pick either team (or a completely new one).