1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm Stobelius...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Stobelius, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    ...and this is me introducing myself from eastern Finland.

My first contact with Blood Bowl was in the early nineties as a teen when me and a few friends of mine bought the game. We only had few matches as we only had one box and two few players anyway. Also time was a problem as we played quite a few RPG's (GW's Rolemaster in LoTR-world as the main game). So the excitement withered and died after a while.

A couple of years ago a Facebook friend (of a friend actually) posted now and then some cryptic status updates of Dwarves making Touch Downs, Elves' amazing passing plays and whatnots. I't soon dawned on me that there was a version of BB playable online and after a while, and discussions with this friend of a friend, I bought the first version. Even though Cyanide's code was crappy and the game buggy I found myself playing day after day and having fun! Soon we were recruiting friends everywhere to found a private league of our own. We got six guys, including our selves, for the first league and now there's about twenty of us playing two private leagues. Almost all of us early nineties RPG-geeks with jobs and families today so Blood Bowl is an excellent (fantasy) game for people like us who can't just jump in any game any time anymore.

As a player I'm really down to earth kind of guy. I used to be an active online poker player so understanding words like statistics, probability, variance, game theory and such gives me the edge not to cry my self into sleep after a few lost matches. Imo by taking playing too seriously kills the fun. (Winning is of course more fun than losing no matter what I try to say here.) :)

I don't have a favorite team nor a team I'd hate. All of them have their perks and downsides. With a right mindset they all are fun.

At the moment in our private leagues I'm playing with Skaven and Khorne Daemons which, by the way, has been one of the hardest teams to master since I started.

I've been following bbtactics since I started online Blood Bowl but for some reason haven't registered until now. Almost everything I know of tactics is based on the articles written by the Coach. Thank you for that. :)

This introduction seems to have gotten out of hand so I'll stop now. Good matches for all!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Hi Stobelius, what took you so long! Glad you finally posted :pow:

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forums, Stobelius (anything to do with Topelius?)

You should join OCC or CC so you can match up against Juriel ;)

4. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Hello and welcome.

5. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    Yes, my nick is a mash up of Topelius, Sibelius (Jean Sibelius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and finnish slang word for a pint of beer "stobe". I came up with the nick some twenty years ago and have used it everywhere ever since. :cool:

I may end up joining Crunch Cup though I have too little time.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. Mikko

Mikko Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mikko
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forums Stobe, thumps up for the nick:)

7. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    Now I've applied for the Crunch Cup XI. Hopefully there's still room for me.

8. Austeniitti

Austeniitti New Member

Country Flag:
    Hello Stobelius and welcome. Eastern Finland you say? I'm living around the same hoods, so where do you live, then? (If you dare to reveal that classified info...) :)

9. claaaams

claaaams Member

Country Flag:
    Hello from a fellow former online poker player turned Blood Bowler, halfway across the planet from you. I seem to remember getting check-raise-all-in-semi-bluffed by Finns back in the day, so Skaven sound like the perfect team for you. ;)

It's really cool to hear that there's about 20 of you that managed to organize your own league! Hope there's more that find your way to the established private leagues. Welcome!

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    So your nick is just missing some Lönnroth then? :p

Two hours per week. Could be manageable ;)

11. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    I'm living in Pieksämäki. Almost three years now.

12. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    I used to be more of a rock type player. Among other things it requires some check-raises and all-ins with flush draws and such once in a while to keep the bank balance healthy. :)

13. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    You just can't mash up everything. It get's tacky.

I applied for the Cup and if I understood I'm one of the last ones to be accepted. 56 for seven eight team divisions and I was number 54.

Those two hours seem to pile up. I'm already managing and playing one private league and playing in another. So it's closer to six hours per week + management. :)

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Oh, yea, several leagues do add up, since you need to come up with suitable times as well..

But you have Lönnrot in there - Stopelius :p

15. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    Perhaps I should change my nick to Stobelias.

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Heh. No worries on my account - I just like the name Elias since I named my son that. Just have a Stobe and take it easy :D

17. claaaams

claaaams Member

Country Flag:
    Ah, then more of a Dwarf coach, on the felt. ;) Me too, which makes it funny that you and I are both Skaven players in Blood Bowl (The equivalent of a hyper-aggressive
    poker player, I'd say).

18. Austeniitti

Austeniitti New Member

Country Flag:
    Cool, Stobelius. I'm currently living in Savonlinna so same province for us, then. GL in crunch cup! I didn't apply at it. Dont really know why.

19. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Austen - You mean "won't apply" - still a couple of days left to report interest ;)

20. Stobelius

Stobelius Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. There's still time to apply Crunch Cup. ;)

We're probably the only people in this province who have even heard about Blood Bowl. :)