1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houserules for DuCTA III - the debate

Discussion in 'Dungeonbowl and Variants' started by Netsmurf, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Houserules:

Any team entering must be either new or have only played in previous DuCTA´s.

Only official maps or maps approved by the league are eligble - so far that is only official maps.

Lowest TV team get to choose the map. In case of equal TV you will play on Catacombs.

Only 24 turns! Should a match go to 24 turns then it is a draw. I will create a dummy team to DC in order to ensure that both teams get SPP.

Should we reach 12 teams or more, then the teams will be split in 2 groups, one with mostly rookies. Below 12 teams and we just play against each other.

Playoffs will aim at roughly 2/3 teams to get through - this will depend on number of teams to enter and thus could very well be changed.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    How is this meant to work?

What do I do if my 24th turn starts? Or ends?

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Also isn't the turn counter funny. I seem to remember the team that goes 2nd starts losing players first.

4. Sudonym

Sudonym Active Member

Country Flag:
    Why is there a 24 turn limit in the first place? I thought playing until the bitter end was part of the game (though I've never played competitively, so who knows).

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'd more prefer a "if game ends by a 'depitch victory' the loser should get the 'Smurfy game' where Smurf's specially made skaven team picks up the ball and wins, giving the loser their winnings and MVP.

And games won on pitch clearance can count as draws in the standing, whichever turn they happened, to encourage playing for the goal.

6. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    The only 24 turns game are in order to prevent mindless spamming of AV9 and Stand Firm and just wait out for a win, when all players are warped from the other team. Now you have to do something in order to win. So turn 24 is the last turn in wich a team can claim a victory - when the turncounter reaches 25 it is a draw.

So now you will not get a win in the standings, but only a draw and the opponent will get a match against a dummy team in order to get SPP and monnies. You should still be able to maim and murder all you want until the game ends:powdodge:

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ok, so if I understand you correctly:

The game is always played to the end.

If the game took more than 24 turns, then it counts as a draw in the league standing.

And if someone lost due to depitching, the get a smurf's win afterwards.

8. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Spot on:Dgrrr up to ten

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Might encourage more agility teams, so why not.

How about if someone loses due to depitching in turn 13 - they still get a smurf game?

10. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I dont know about that one, could lead to willing sacrifices or trying to do multiple precarious plays in order to help one self to get of the pitch:confused:

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I was just wondering, since the loss of MVP and cash is annoying, especially if it's all down to lousy luck.

If I say "depitched by turn 23" instead of 13, does that change anything, and why?

12. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Is it certain that the loser does not get any SPP and Monies if they are depitched before turn 16?

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Fairly so, but we could test it fairly easily by having a team depitch itself with excess teleporter use.

14. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Exelent idea, I do not have time until Sunday to conduct a test though, so if any can do it before then you are most welcome:D

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the rule. As Tys says, it potentially swings things too much in favour of the agility teams as they can now simply play for a draw, if a quick win is not looking likely.

At the same time I am no fan of insanely long and boring grinds where one team just waits until the other team leaves the pitch by itself and I do agree that the bash teams have an unfair advantage there.

So something does probably need to be done, but I'm not sure what exactly... :eek:

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'd prefer a simpler rule:

If a game is won due to one team being depitched, the game will count as a draw in the standings and the losing team will get mvp and money by a quickie with Smurf.

Same thing, but no time limits either way. Means the bash teams can stall, as long as they don't overdo it.

(Possibly an additional rule about "you can't intentionally depitch yourself - like overusing teleporters just to get your players sent off - since all replays are on the server this is easy enough to check)

17. Sudonym

Sudonym Active Member

Country Flag:
    How do you judge whether a game was won by depitching, though? If my opponent has a few beamed off and then I score a touchdown, does that count as a draw, then?

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    No, a game ended by depitching is when one team has zero players left on pitch. The game will then end at once, awarding tue win to the coach with players left on the pitch (no matter where the ball is at the moment)

Nothing inherently wrong with that, but the routine Cyanide used for this was the "concession win", meaning the winner also gets both MVPs and both cash awards, and the loser gets nothing. (And in DB the MVP is a sizable portion of the SPP gain)

Hence the addition of the "bonus game" to give a MVP and a roll of winnings to the loser.

The "game counts as a draw" is so the winner will be more inclined to score while there are any opponents left (to save smurf and the loser the extra work of scheduling a quickie), and also since he gets an undue advantage in cash and SPP, so he gets a bonus for winning anyway.

19. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would add that a depitching before turn 24 is over is not a draw - but the losing team will then get a dummy match.

Is this solution good for all:confused:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014