1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardman How do I stop a one turn scorer?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by mattmcd31, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mattmcd31

mattmcd31 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Nuffle_Hate_Me
    Country Flag:
    In my league championship I'm facing a nearly unstoppable one turn scoring threat.

My Opponent is playing a very experienced Skaven with a Gutter Runner with Dodge, +MA, Sprint, +AG, Big Hand, Leap. So he doens't need a push, and Dodges AND Leaps on a 2+.

I have a fairly young Lizardman team with only a few Diving Tackle Players on the team so I don't pose much of a threat that way, as they can easily be avoided.

Traditionally he only lines up this Gutter Runner when receiving Kick Offs and scores in one turn. No chance for Hits, Fouls or Wizards. You can bet if I get a shot at him I may do all three.

Short of hoping for a Blitz or taking enough rats off the pitch forcing him to field this player, the best I can come up with is this:

3 on the line and then lining up alternating squares one square in from the goal line and the sideline. This make him at roll 3 - 2+ Go For Its, a 2+ Leap and a 2+ Dodge with Dodge Re-Roll. Plus he would have a regular Re Roll available.

Any other ideas?

2. mattmcd31

mattmcd31 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Nuffle_Hate_Me
    Country Flag:
    P.S. This formation also limits him to a single 1 die block with 2 of his other Gutter Runners, none of which have block. Thank god the GR with Block is MNG!!

3. Ian

Ian Member

Obviously it depends on what variety of 1-turner it is, but the main thing I try to be sure of is that if any players may have to deal with the player on their own (e.g. the players at the edges and the like who can only force one tackle zone against the sideline) are the ones who have dodge-impeding skills.

So put guys with Tackle and Diving Tackle and the like right at the ends of the line so the opposition has to choose between similarly difficult dodges. Staggering players is also an option to try and force them into MORE dodges rather than harder ones, and I also keep my non-LOS players right back at my own endzone so that they can't usually get much by way of blitzing support.

The key decision I guess is whether you want to try and force them into a long series of easier dice rolls or a few really tough ones.

4. mattmcd31

mattmcd31 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Nuffle_Hate_Me
    Country Flag:
    I guess I'm looking for advice for the specific 1 turner I described above.

One school of thought is line up as normal and hope he fails one of the pickup, hand off, Leap, Dodge and 3x GFIs but all are on 2+ with his team.

The alternate is line up one in the goal line where he can't really block me every other square starting on sideline. But it really doesn't change the math of the Rolls.

Essentially here are the rolls:

3+ Pick up with Sure hands or 2+ Pick Up with AG 5 other GR
    2+ Hand off to the AG 5 MA 10 GR
    2+ Leap no matter what
    2+ Dodge no matter what with Dodge
    3 x 2+ GFI's

All with one other team re roll.

I really need a Perfect D or Blitz or failed something to stay in this game.

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    How much do you get in inducements?

6. mattmcd31

mattmcd31 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Nuffle_Hate_Me
    Country Flag:
    Inducements will be 470K

150K - Wizard
    280K - 2 x Skins with Diving Tackle (League allows Mercs in playoffs)
    20K - Cheerleader (House Rule Freeboot Cheerleaders for 20K)
    20K - Asst Coach (House Rule Freeboot Asst Coaches for 20K)
    Opponent has 1 each Asst Coach and Cheerleader and I have none

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. otzenpunk

otzenpunk New Member

Country Flag:
    Well, maybe you just need not stop him. Try the 2-1 grind. Choose to kick*, let him score in one turn, and then use your eight turns to score. (If you regularly score quickly, and can't stall the match for eight turns, try to score around turn 3 or 4, let him score again, and score in turn 8 for eqality.) If you manage to reduce his number of players below 12 during the first half, it will force him to field his one turner for your offense at the beginning of the second half, and you'll have plenty of time to remove him from pitch. If not, you could at least reach a draw, as long as you don't lose your offense. If you're lucky, you get Perfect Defense at the very last turn, when he prepares to equalize with his one turner.

Additionally you can force him to throw one or two more dice, if you happen to have a kicker. Kick the ball as far to the opposite corner of the pitch as you can, that he has to do a real pass instead of a hand-off.

And if your league doesn't forbid star players, take Helmut Wulf instead of one of the merc skinks. He will probably be a great help decimizing your opponent with his chainsaw. Remember, you have to reduce his sqad under 12. But think about him getting sent of after one drive, so don't field him in your opponents (one turn) offense, and don't play on 2-2 until half time, but 1-1, as stated initially.

Maybe dump the other merc, too. More than twice as much money for a stunty player with one skill is not worth it, imho. Better take wandering apos or bloodwiser babes, or take a bribe to keep Helmut Wulf on the pitch.

*Coach has written some enlightening articles about those strategies in the "Articles" section of the page.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    Some of this advice might be a bit late but maybe it can help you out next time.

Kick – a player with kick can let you reliably get the ball deep and force a short pass. Another chance at a turn over.

Pass Block + Diving tackle (+side step or stand firm if you can). It might be too late to develop the players now, but if you can get 2 with both these skills (probably skinks) and set them up next to the wide zone and 2 squares back from the los then they can put a tz on the GR when the pass is made. This forces your opponent to at least have to block them away and possibly (especially if they have side step) have to dodge the GR past a diving tackle. When used with a 5-5-1 formation this can put 2 TZs on the GR if they haven’t cleared the first one, enough to force a 3+ on the catch :p

Drain his rerolls – if he has to score in turn 8 and/or 16 make sure he has no re-rolls, the leap and 3 GFI’s even at 2+ could easily cause a fall. Even better if you can feed him this opportunity when you still have a turn left to play as a gang foul can solve your problems for the rest of the match :p

Get lucky on the kick roll. Blitz is favourite as you can give him a good gang fouling into the bargain but perfect defence and riot? (the one that stuns all the star players) can both stop him too.

Play a 5-5-1 formation. With 5 on the LOS (3 spread on the line and 1 in each wide zone) you can cover the entire LOS with TZs, place tackle krox and sauri on one flank and tackle skinks at the back on the other flank so that each side has additional threats, the middle will be a little weaker without tacklers but that can be bolstered with the 11th man. If he has more than 1 turn left set up the back 5 so that they can get back to your endzone and recover a dropped ball if he fails his GFIs

Maybe a sacrificial lamb play if you’re really desperate. Put one of your players on the side line and see if he’ll risk the blitz to crowd surf him. You’ll probably get ignored or crowd surfed but it has been known to work.

Basically make him roll as many dice as possible then when he does score hold the ball and grind his team to dust. The 5agi and leap makes him almost unstoppable but he still has to GFI 3 times to make it so there’s always a chance and any time he has more than 1 turn to score in and scores in1 turn gives you longer when you receive.

9. spworldtour

spworldtour New Member

Country Flag:
    Well, I think you've hear about all the strats that I could come up with, but I'll add my voice to the one I think is the best option for you.

Just be okay with him scoring in 1 turn.

Honestly, as one of the Agil players here, I'll tell you, I don't LIKE scoring in one turn. It gives my opponents grind too long to work. I have to play Def for too long and I end up exposing my players to a lot more hits. The THREAT of the 1 turn scorer is WAY more useful than the actual follow through. Most coach's tend to over compensate for a 1 turn scorer, doing things like putting people all the way at the end zone or other crazy things. This gives the agil team WAY more options and ability to control the LOS.

As for your set up, there is actually NO way to force him to deal with 2 sets of tackle zones, other than lining up your 'wideouts' on the LOS and this does more damage to your long term strat than just allowing the 1 turn score.

The only time you actually want to set up a D against the 1 turn score is when that's all he's got, turn 8 or turn 16. Then, spread your guys out as best you can, force as many rolls as you can and go for it. And note, I recommend MORE rolls, not harder rolls. I would MUCH rather make 1 3+ roll than 2 2+ rolls. Basically because I only get 1 reroll for that turn. a 3+ with a reroll has decent odds. 2 2+'s with a reroll fails about 5% more often than a 3+ with a reroll.

10. mattmcd31

mattmcd31 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Nuffle_Hate_Me
    Country Flag:
    Postscript.

Lost the game 2-0.

I received the kickoff in the first half in a Blizzard!and by the start of his turn 3 he had 4 of my players off the pitch (2 MNG, BH and KO ) casualties, including 2 Sauruses and a DT Skink. The KO Saurus never made it back in the game. I also lost another Skink fouling one of his passers but he did take out the hail marry passer, SI -1 AV! I was able to grind until turn 8 where I double failed a Dodge to score.

Heavily depleted I fought hi pretty tight but he was able to score midway through the second half, but the Blizzard kept the 1 turner on the bench, who never saw the pitch. I tried to mount an offense but I was just too outnumbered and had bud luck with die rolls and using up re rolls early in the second half. He scored on turn 8 just to prevent the miracle TD on my part.

11. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Well that was an unforseen way of stopping that turn 1 devil;)