1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by patbou73, Jul 29, 2020.

1. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    AV7 team (Amazons), against Orcs. Opponent got enough inducement to buy Ugroth, that 5339 chainsaw dude. I didn't get to choose, but if I did, should I receive instead of kick (which is what I usually do)?

Also, how should I play against a chainsaw? Could it be that forming a line, instead of columns, would be the right play? That way, when the culprit attacks one of my unit, I'll at least have 2 block attempts on it?

What bugs me is that, unlike Helmut (who is 6338), Ugroth's armour is quite strong at AV9. Trying to remove him from the pitch is very tricky (and kickback less likely to hurt ; last time I hired Helmut, he died on first attempt, and I got a turnover).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    It isn't that hard to remove it. Even without MB his armour is broken over half the time as the chainsaw makes his AV only 6
    I wouldn't change my play at all except maybe to blitz him rather than another player.
    Forming a line will mean black orcs can move up and mark multiple players and if they get the guard in the right place you can't easily move them.
    That is worse than the opponent blitzing with a loner that turns over 1 in 6 of the time.

3. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Tys' point is good to remember. The chainsaw adds to armour roll if you knock him down, so really he's armour 6, not quite as good but certainly you'd be happy to face it in any other situation. Blitz, block and foul is the simplest way without suffering other drawbacks.

4. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. I forgot his armour was down to 6 because of chainsaw! :)

5. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    If your opponent is using the chainsaw to Blitz, that's to your advantage because the Chainsaw prevents him from moving after Blitzing which should leave him exposed to an opposing blitz. Chainsaws are more useful for fouling.

6. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Really? I've never seen a coach using a chainsaw to foul. Is it really the best way to use it?

7. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    If your opponent has some good Blitzers, he should really be blitzing with those. A foul with a Chainsaw also gets the 3+ to breaking armour. I think Gobbo coaches Blitz a lot with Chainsaws because they don't have good blitzers lol. Orcs should though.

8. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    In theory it is all true.
    I played as DElves vs Goblins with chainsaw. The little dude killed 2 of my players (one of them Blitzer, in the very first game!) and manage to withstand all my blocks and blitzes until 2nd half. Which was sent to field after a successful bribe, but I finally managed to injure him then.
    So, your mileage may (always) vary.

9. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I have used them to blitz when needed but if not he will be fouling. He is about to get sent off anyway.

Though I did have a game recently where I could afford a saw and a bribe. He lasted the entire game. Stunned for a lot of it but it was a glorious game. I don't remember my race or the outcome, just the sound of the saw screaming for a turn and a half while he was stunned.