1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to enjoy my Gobbos again?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Wolbum, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Wolbum

Wolbum New Member

Country Flag:
    Hey folks

It's been a while since I have posted or played BB in general and have popped back for the Christmas holidays managing to play it a bit more. However there is still a bit of an issue I have which was present even before I took a break for my studies: Goblins. Or should I say, my mindset with Goblins.

They're by far my favourite team. I have played them for, I would wager, hundreds of games since I first got into the online version and tabletop. Naturally I went through the process of pure fun mindset, to getting to understand the game, to wanting to get more out of the team.

To put this into context, after the fiery events of the release of CRP and of course my weapons malfunctioning for lord knows how many times, I went back to search some of the old rules (Lrb4) and lo and behold, the Goblins had no roster weapons. I fired them, went for a non weapon roster. Not only did I really enjoy it but it breathed new life into the green gits. Then after a good hoard of games, I popped a chainsaw back onto the team and I am currently back to the present. As a result I began to take on a more serious perception on using Gobbos and since then it kind of stuck.

During this time I got really into trying to get gobbos down right and during this process my mindset also changed to wanting to be consistent with them, being my main team near exclusive at the time. This also meant I would also focus on some of the bad things which occured into the match more often than I would normally and although I did improve my gobbo coaching, that mindset of playing them seriously has also negatively effected the fun I should be getting from them as well and fluctuated my performance.

With all the other teams, even Ogres and halflings, I can enjoy the game 99% of the time, regardless of the result or injuries, win or lose. I am relaxed and enjoy the matches for what they are. As a result I perform better. But as you can imagine from the above, losing with gobbos hurts than losing with any other team. Which sounds rather silly really.

To put this into perspective, when I start a new Chaos team or Vampire team, this is the opposite. I enthusiastically anticipate a Warrior to die in the first few matches and humorously think "Damn Chaos armour!" and keep on like as though nothing has happened. Heck I always enjoy watching the teams get beaten on but goblins I have this "serious" mindset glued to my brain and I can't seem to revert back to just...having a blast with them (unless I am doing well).

Even during the non weapons phase where, I also grew a habit of having a quip over 9 = BH injury rolls with my gobs for being not "genuine" like in the old rules, since it took away from my view, team management opportunities. Yet I have no issue at all or even think of it with ogres or halflings. It's odd but it stuck with the gobbos for some reason.

So my question to you is:

How can I get back to having "fun" with my gobbos?

So how can I get over all this stuff? How can I go back to the mindset I still have with almost all the other teams, Ogres especially, where I can still play to win but with a casual, happy mindset instead of overtly serious. It seems to be the case for me with the Gobbos I would consider them my "main" team and in a way it could be explained that because of this, I want to be best with them over the others. Hence this silly pressure. But I'll leave it at that and I would be interested to see what you all might suggest.

Regards
    Wolbum

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    Play drunk.

3. XanderV

XanderV Member

Country Flag:
    Well, the bottom line is : if you play Goblins seriously and hope to win 60% of your games, you really need to change that mindset. It's like going to an F1 race and hoping to win with a station wagon. Sure, sometimes the others will crash and burn around you and you'll stumble to the finish, but most of the time you can't realistically hope to win because you come in at an unavoidable disadvantage. You'll win less often, but your victories will be that much sweeter.

I don't mean to plug my podcast shamelessly, but we just interviewed a very long-time Gobbo coach who offers his insight and how he sees Goblins very long term. If you don't want to get into heavy strategies and such, perhaps just listening to the first 10 minutes could answer some of your questions. Dalryk (who owns the very popular Snotballz Goblin blog in here) gives pretty much everything you need to know about Gobbos.

Hope it helps. Don't give up!

Orca Cola Cast : A Blood Bowl Podcast

4. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Or consider if Underworld could give you what you want from Gobbos, but be more competitive about it...

5. Wolbum

Wolbum New Member

Country Flag:
    Well, thanks for the responses so far.

Despite being based in Ireland I do not drink but thanks for that :p .

Ah I have a real bee in my bonnet over the Underworld. I don't like goblins who confide with the enemy! Also wasn't too pleased with the blatant design override of the other stunties in a way. I would rather play regular Gobbos than ever go to the Underworld.

Aye, you're probably right. I guess its just a case of sitting down and firmly changing my mindset more so than anything. The analogy with the F1 race and the station wagon was a pretty quirky and clear illustration thanks! Granted winning the F1 race with a station wagon would probably get an unrealistically high amount of hits on youtube.

I'll just keep going at it anyway. I think 60% though is even more eager than what I had in mind! I would be happy with 50% really but even then I guess that is asking a lot. Cheers anyway and that podcast was quite helpful. Just keep your expectations low and keep at it and have fun really. Now I just need to play a few to get myself back into that mentality.

Regards

6. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Goblins rely on a similar concept to norse: remove the opponent faster then they get removed. if this doesnt pan out, then they tend to flop. Halflings on the other hand have the major advantage of the trees. 2 non loners who dont lose TZ or actions, and who are almost always in range of a TTM attempt, so draws (and an occasional win) are a bit more common. Alta and Blasscend can attribute to this.

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Reaching 40% with goblins is like 60% with any other team. Maybe 65%. So aim for that and enjoy your superiority. :D

8. Suriel

Suriel New Member

Cyanide Username:
    Suriel
    Country Flag:
    You seem to experience stress and pressure when playing Gobs.

The solution is simple: More stress & pressure to de-sensify yourself!

Open up a Twitch Channel, session name "CoD - Superfrag Ole LAdizN Jezus"
    Your own username should be: XXXPwnsYarMotherXXX or something similarly ridicilous.

The xxx is of special importance here, don't get it wrong!

Announce on every radical religious site that you will summon and play with vile demons on your stream. Put exact dates. (Attention: Should be after school hours AND not during church service hours!)

Download "Always on Top" and put the Twitch chat of your channel as top window, so you can see it while playing. Let it occupy half of your screen for added immersion.

Stream every Blood Bowl Gobbo game you play for three months. Then get rid of the channel and enjoy the game as you did before. Relaxed and happy.