1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilgoth becomes Game Master [Pathfinder]

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Ever since last winter, one guy in my gaming group has steadily talked about Pathfinder and how he dreams of our own campaign. Things started to move on in May, and we started to set up the idea. Dont know how, why and when - but I was assigned to be the Game Master(GM). Guess it is in the family, since my older brother is pretty experienced GM and he ran multiple campaigns in Stormbringer RPG like 15 years ago.

Master of the universe, know-it-all when it becomes to the rules. So far I've read the rulebook two times and I still feel it's all hazy for me. Guess I will start to understand them better once we get to the playing part. The core rulebook has +500 pages, although not all of it is needed to know.

I've been worldbuilding, and map drawing for a while. Decided to start to blog about this here, since I recall someone asking me to do so over Discord. Hopefully it is interesting to some of you.

I just shared the first fluff text to the four players. Here it is.
    It is the early winter of 1289, two years after the Great Collapse.

Our realm has gone through blood, dirt and bone to rebuild some of what we lost. Well we dwarves are resilient, and we do not bend in the face of a disaster. Or so we claimed.. Ask me and I say we are proven wrong.

The floods came pummeling as the ground shaked incessantly. More than half of our population gone in days. Once the storms seized, many were forced to relocate and start anew elsewhere. Famine crippled the realm and our Great House was forced to haggle with the humans. They sent us the aid we needed, but the lesser stunties did not like the idea of us two getting closer. Thus we got drawn into the grand scheme of things, and now our younger menfolk wear iron and standby the borderlands.

Grudge and sorrow.

The words we have learnt to taste ever since the events. Some seek hope and peace from the gods. In sad times, both old and new gods thrive and expand their divine presence. I hear about the ‘Lord of the Forest’ all around continental part of our land. Day before yesterday I witnessed a man holding a sermon in lower street levels of our capital.

Times of rebuilding, war and the religious. As the master historian, I’ve studied these times during my lifetime. But never had I thought I would live through them at the same time.

Serrit Grundstok,

Master Historian of School of the Enlightened, City of Bogidien

I will share a map of the realm soon, and also share the main story idea of the campaign. Now my only hope is none of them actually read BBTactics.

sbr32 likes this.
  2. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Deciding the player equipment, and usable money for character creation

My group is still in the process of creating their characters, but so far I know two characters with their background stories. To me the following dictate starting money; race, class and background story(gives a small modifier). I decided to give players suitable clothes, and basic equipment for free - also gave a list of daily items wherefrom they can choose one item as well. After they have used the starting money,

- players will roll 3D6,
    - result multiplied by 10, and then subtracted 10
    = the money in character's pocket at the start of the campaign.

This way it was rather easy for me to start building up a nice balance with currency during the campaign, without being too harsh on starting equipment. Players should remain decently happy.

3. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    I failed. I can't spot any differences between two last posts.
    Why subtract 10 though?

4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Hahha, sorry my internet must have been failing on me. Never meant to post twice. :(

It is due to lowered prices early to the game, and also for offering lot of basic items as free (usually things like backpack, torch or food cost you money during character set-up). Otherwise it's pretty much widely used way to handle starting funds.

5. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Got any advice for a guy who recently got Starfinder and is planning to GM a game in the future? I have done no prep for it yet and need to still make monsters / NPCs and a rough idea for a story.

6. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Well, I got the money part, just not -10. So, instead of spread of 30-180, you would get 20-170? Does it really make so much difference?

7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I havent checked out Starfinder at all yet, just know it has some good buzz around it. I have always been more fantasy than sci-fi, so I think it might be a while I even take a look.

But anyway, some general game mastering tips I dare to give:
    - you have to first decide the theme for your campaign. What's the driving feel? Is it constant action and fighting that takes place, or is it a mystery players try to figure out? Usually it varies, and best thing to do is ask your players what would they prefer. In the end, you run the campaign for them and it's supposed to be fun and entertaining (for everyone).
    - whatever the play style, dungeon crawling or roleplaying in a city - have a small story going on
    - make NPCs balanced. Have main purpose for all of them, and at the same time give them flaws.
    - have some encounters in your toolbox, ready on the go. Some random fights that could take place even though you did not plan for them. Players will stray away from planned route, so these will come handy.
    - some encounters have to be easier, and some harder.

Some tips for making the story:
    - the first scene must be strong, it must have a catch that takes players into it. Good character, or a very interesting event that shakes the setting? Maybe an interesting set-up of the campaign (i.e players are escaping a jail)
    - design major plot points, and fill the travel in between them
    - foreshadow, give tips of what is to happen (i.e NPC turning rogue against perhaps an order, after being let down or losing someone s/he loved)
    - find the theme of your story. Is it supposed to happen in a dark setting? Then have it indulge sadness, despair and frustration.
    - good idea to find a driving energy for your story is to know the ultimate goal of the players (players versus the story)

Hopefully this helps @Street - I keep posting how I am shaping up my own campaign. Next post will share the simple world map and the foundation of the story.

In a longterm, not too much but I needed to have tough start money wise in the first sessions. I didn't wanna set it in stone, so I just decided to lower party's chance in it by taking money away. Also to compensate the free items given, to play it safe and ensure my campaign's wealth arches well and healthy.

sbr32 likes this.
  8. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like some solid advice, will be awhile as I do need to work out the overall story, I am also getting advice from someone who will be a player in my group who has GM'd games for 20 years so with that all combined I am sure it will be fine. The book comes with a few good ideas for threats to make an overall story around so I am sure I can make something work with one of those.

Hope your game goes well!

Ilgoth likes this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    # The capital of the dwarves is Bogidien, and it is located in the main island of the realm.
    # White square means a city
    # White circle means a smaller settlement, known landmarks of the sparse land
    # Revered Lands is not united population, the land holds smaller societies formed by Ogres, Half-Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, Half-Goblins, Hobgoblins and so on.
    # East of this region lies a pretty big sea. Land of humans recide on the other side of it, a continent known as Palhappen.

Pre-Campaign events

The realm of dwarves is trying to rebuild their society after The Great Collapse. What is Great Collapse you wonder? It's a major catastrophe of this world, where I imagine the tectonic plates moving so fiercely that it caused worldwide earthshakes and mass flooding (sea floor changed, underwater volcanos erupted). The percentual land mass is less than it was before this event, the sea level rose permanately. For example, what used to be clear and intact coastline - is now a lesser landmass with smallish archipelago in front (the old high grounds formed islands). Since the land and the world was reformed, it also meant the change in trade routes and mass deaths of full populations meant changed markets. No longer clients for herbalists, new poverty meant no buying high-quality necklaces from jewellers and so forth. Your all-around expanding village was now perhaps excluded, out of new main roads and had no demand around it. People relocated, some seeking opportunities instead of rebuilding - some giving up all together and seeking aid instead of fighting through it.

The Great House of Dwarves got aid from humans, which made the neighbouring realm of gnomes become furious and disappointed towards dwarves. As the bearded stunties used to be bigger military-wise, now they were struggling to keep their land together and gnomes saw an opportunity in this. Now gnomes and dwarves find themselves in a conflict, waging war on each other and setting up a future battlefield on the northern border of dwarves, close to the Knollteeth Mountains. The disaster of the nature, and a war - dwarves live crippling times.

--------------------------------------

In the next post I give you the showcase of the player characters and the starting scene of the campaign.

sbr32 likes this.
  10. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    So instead of a looking into the characters of our campaign, I am writing about our first Pathfinder session that we took as a tutorial. There were 3 players + me as a GM, one didn't show up sadly this time. We played a premade module (made by Paizo), it was called 'We Be Goblins' and it is supposed to be played in one sitting. Though I have to be honest, playing it in one sitting and fighting all the combat encounters would propably take about 5hours from novice group. We fought 3/7 fights and we played for bit over 3 hours and just barely got it finished (I went all out stupido in the final 'boss fight').

- I believe the group had fun, at least I did. Lot of learning to do, I felt some had no clue of the basic rules so that's definately something all in our group have homework. Learnt their way of playing, also figured out my comfort zones with GM'ing. I really like describing the lands and surroundings to them, doing the narration. My clear weakness is improvising dialogue, but hopes it is something I gradually improve on.
    - The group can throw jokes at each other, and I see some good chemistry going on. Playing premade goblin characters isn't too easy, so their roleplay did not go too deep and in detail, BUT I could tell they have the general swing in it. What they did not seem to do well is imagining what is around them. Like while I paint the general wipes, describe some items and the ambiance - they did not add anything into it but focused on what their PC was doing and to what target.

For now I am waiting to see the 4th and last character sheet, and to receive the concept of its background. Once that happens, I represent them here with the starting scene.

williamspd likes this.
  11. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Sorry it's been a while.

My group decided to change two of their characters last minute, and I allowed it - which caused us to delay things a bit. But here, the post about the party members.

Before players created their characters, I told them I would like to brainstorm with them one-on-one - and have a goal to come up with a background and a secret. Something that only the player and GM knows. I believed this would create depth to the character creation, and tools for me to figure out cool events. Something that drags them from the past. Will make a pretty cool questline at some point, and also bring in diverse roleplay! So now that we have the characters done, and the secrets pretty much as well - time to take a look!

(also note, I asked them to choose an actor they image playing their character)

edit// for the sake to be safe, I do not share the secrets here publicly.

Character #1 - human Bard (Arcane Duelist) lvl1
    Before the Great Collapse, Clemens was the childhood star of his home city, bringing glory and fame to his family through singing to the noble crowds. As 'a reward', his parents used some of the money to hire a fencing coach that taught clemens the use of a short bow and rapier - the common weapons of human culture. Sometimes a rebel against his parents, Clemens caught in some fights and showed-off his training by beating less-well-faring teens.

As Clemens was on his first contract, protecting a regular farmer, The Great Collapse took place and ended his childhood by killing off his parents. Home city destroyed, and sunken to the ocean - Clemens has continued singing for peasant crowds and being "a-sword-for-hire".

Character #2 - dwarf Monk (Drunken Master) lvl1
    Devoted to self-improvement and seeking of light - Raigon has traveled his whole life for adventures and knowledge. Thus, the Great Collapse didnt really affect his daily life on the road.

Taught by the masters of Temple, worshipping God Iris, Raigon knows his martial arts and fights with bare hands - mostly under influence of Grog (dwarven ale). Almost in a trance like state, Raigon fights fluently and in rhythm, rather than coldy calculating like regular sword swingers. Ale swollen mind, and rather friendly (in dwarf standards) fellow follows his path towards perfect life.

Character #3 - human Cleric lvl1
    Raised in the temple of Saranrae, Elrowyn was left behind as his parents (who worked as slaves) decided the temple would keep him safe out of the miserable lives and faiths. Just and faithful follower of his beliefs, Elrowyn knows the local area well after moving around, spreading his faith.

Tall and big-sized, out-going in his character - his presence can easily be noticed from bass-toned loud laugh. Biggest goal of his life is to provide safety heaven, or eternal dismiss, for the heathens.

Character #4 - halfling ranger lvl1
    Not much is known about Eldon. Eldon is rarely in the mood to talk of his past, he acts friendly, yet mysteriously cautious, rarely letting his crossbow out of sight. Eldon prefers to stay hidden in the shadows. When he does show his face, he seems to constantly gaze at any present dwarves. One could say his eyes tell of fear. Eldon is not known to stay long in the same place. It is as if Eldon is on the run from someone - or something. Perhaps it has something to do with the dwarves. Then again, one can never be too sure, as he is a halfling.

It is said there are only two words to describe any halfling: small and cunning. Eldon tries his best not to draw too much attention to himself. Unless intoxicated, of course. While intoxicated(under influence), Eldon has sometimes mentioned a name, "Eldor". When asked about, Eldon goes silent. Less than a drink later Eldon is nowhere to be found.

There you go. Just tonight we had our first session and I will break it down tomorrow and share with you here. Lets say I enjoyed it a lot, and gladly - so did the players.

Maybe the greatest feedback was from the dwarf monk players, quoting him here; "I've been doing nothing else but playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 for the last two days, and I thought it was amazing and had me hooked. To be honest I feel, this campaign of ours has me more interested in this story than Divinity's.":D:D:)

12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Chapter 1 - first session

-imagine huge guy dressed up in a hood, riding a horse-

"My memorium begins in the rough times, two years after the Great Collapse.

I was travelling to the city of Fromach. After riding the whole night and the early day, I arrived to valley of Bluna and a lovely - but rather rough open area spread in front of me. I noticed a campsite, where lot of other travellers and merchants had set up to rest and seek opportunities. Travellers of many races and sizes, made noise that kept the wild life away.

After arriving to the site, I fed my mare and checked the condition of my riding equipments. It was time to check my surroundings, and I remember a farmer dwarf having a quarrel with a fairly drunked elf. About prices it seemed... At the same time, I noticed three wagons leaving the site in a rush. I couldnt help but to wonder, why would anyone leave this site in this rain..."

At this point I described these three wagons, how the first one was filled by 6 soldier dwarves. The 2nd wagon was steered by Braylen Londerstead (main NPC), he was accompanied by Raigon Turek (player). 3rd wagon belonged to two cotton farmers, Jon and Jeor (both dwarves), and they had contracted Clemens Boru (player) to protect their journey to Fromach. Two other players, Elrowyn and Eldon Thornwood were riding in the 3rd wagon, they were let in to freeride their way to the city.

Encounter 1:
    Here players started to roleplay, mainly to ask random stuff - talk about things. NPC Braylen kept boasting how he once steered his lonely boat, through the fog amidst water ruins and smuggled onions to a forbidden region. This was rather annoying for Raigon, who seemed to pay no attention. In the 3rd wagon, Clemens was very keen why a shy and quiet halfling was traveling through dwarven realm. Eldon (the 'fling) kept quiet, as by was his natural character. He even refused to tell his name to other characters.

# Succeeding Perception roll, Raigon spotted a tree that was falling on the road. The tree fell, and smashed in the middle of wagon of the dwarves.
    (GM note: if this roll had failed, the 2nd wagon of Raigon and NPC Braylen would have hit the smashed wagon in front)
    # Clemens reflex roll succeeded, in other words he managed to stop the wagon in time as well, this made contractors very very happy and proud

The soldier dwarves noticed how two of their comrades had been hit by the tree, one clearly dead and other severely injured. The dwarf soldiers rushed to try and lift off the tree, only to realise their strength werent up for it. To GM's surprise, the party members jumped out of their wagons to help the soldiers (honestly, I did not expect them to do this nor I was prepared for it). With the aid of the party, the soldiers were able to move the tree. Party continued to help and cleric Elworyn used his healing spell of the day to save this dwarf. The almost chopped off arm was mostly fixed, although wounds and cuts still remained and you could consider the dwarf still injured. As the cleric did his deed, NPC Brayled lead by Clemens went to check the spot where the tree had fallen - it was too fitting that it happened to fall just now. With multitude of perception checks, they came to a conclusion that the trees surrounding them also seemed thin and rather risky for such accident. It was deemed to be an unfortunate accident (which is correct by GMs writing).
    (GM note: I know everyone expected there would be an ambush when the tree fell. It's an extremely common way to start an adventure, we could even say its very stereotypical. I wanted to play into this stereotype, and then just flip it - no ambush happening nor chance for it. Making a stereotype seem most likely to be true and then turning it upside down, is one storytelling technique that creative writing classes will teach you.)

Cottom farmer dwarves wanted the soldiers to join their wagons for the rest of the journey. The party members did not pick a side on this, they didnt really care. Farmers failed their diplomacy with the soldier dwarves who decided to turn back. The party and the cotton farmers continued their travel. NPC Braylen suggested that Raigon would ride their wagon as he wanted to take a nap. Raigon accepted.

After an hour of riding, Raigon Turek noticed(due succeeded perception roll) a lonely house by the left. Without any input from GM, the player suggested we should just stop here and take a look. No one said anything, the two wagons head towards the site. NPC Braylen woke up to this, being bit annoyed by this non-sensical detour. The rain had also stopped.

Encounter 2:
    As the party agreed, they parked the wagons bit further away from the lonely house. The cotton farmers seemed bit frightnened, so they wanted to stay in cover out of the rain. One player pointed out that yo, it just stopped raining. Farmers returned this with; "oh yeah well but I dont like the soaky mud", and they just hid inside the wagon.
    (GM note: pre-shadowing, some NPCs clearly just getting out of the picture with a very-very-shadowy reason.)

[​IMG]
    (my drawing of the area)

So I described this place, a lonely cottage that looked to be a suitable home for a rather poor family. A pond to its right, an animal pen behind it. 7 children running about the yard, few of 'em throwing rocks to the water. As players slowly approached this place, one of the children danced happily towards them and started to rhyme. I actually sang it to them.

(please note that this was originally written in finnish, and this is just me trying to translate in a very fast manner)

Men arrived to the pond, found there a girl
    A dwarf burst a vein and yell, "I can feel mother's pain"
    ~~
    Monster took our mother, the mom cried "younguns leave me for other"
    ... Soon it laughed, "how to drink yous, how to get fat 'n fed"
    ~~
    No more mother, or the uncle kind of other
    ~~
    We burned our cats, sucked the bones clean from the fats

(one more child appeared behind them to say;)
    "ONE TWO THREE - get the tad out of--- 'EREEE"

[​IMG]

The party seemed rather stunned at this point. They had no words for a moment, until Raigon just blatantly said "this place is fucked up". Clemens was already preparing for a brawl, his player said in off-character that it would be rather safe to just slay them all. The whole purpose of this little rhyme was to set the mood for this place, but also be very honest of what happened here.

Halfing immediately took stealth rolls to sneak into the forest, expecting a fight. Clemens and NPC Braylen did their best to talk to the children, who were very inresponsive - diplomacy checks kept failing. Cleric decided to burn out a feat, that allows him to sense evil in a context or substance (feats succeed). He directed it as AoE, within 60 feets. I was forced to tell that cottage had "the touch of evil and sorrow", but an actual evil isn't there while the cottage does resonate evil vibes. Party kept going in a very slow manner, Eldon the halfling sneaking behind the cottage to spot a window ( and saw someone was laying on the bed, thoroughly covered in sheets (although he failed a perception roll for something else, I rolled for him so they do not know this). Raigon approached the door, made perception check to listen what's inside. Succeeded, he heard faint moaning. During this, cleric managed to bluff and agreed with the children that the party could shelter in here if they gave food in exchange.

Raigon opened the door, and I revealed the interior of the cottage. Party moved in, spotted one more child to their right - unconscious and clearly very sick. The cleric rushed in, made dice checks for his healing skill but he kept failing (rolls were hard on purpose). He did not recognise the disease or what would be the cause, but he was able to tell some symptoms. The party was just inside the main room, they had a closed in door next to them. Party was inside, NPC Braylen was guarding outside and watching over the children. Players took this as another sign a battle would happen inside, as once again - NPC "just happens" to steer further from their spot.

(to be continued)

13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    (we had miniatures for all the heros + main NPC)

Clemens opened the door, and also spotted the figure under the sheets (halfling player did not share his information before going in - this is very important to notice game-wise). Clemens yelled what he saw, and NPC Braylen panicked to rush inside and see, and he tore the sheets away; a dead dwarven woman - mid-torso torn open and clearly been dead for a while. Also looked to have been suffering from starvation prior to her death. Cleric Elrowyn was saddened, and decided to take a wooden object from his pouch - went to place it on the stomach of sick child and made few prayers to the his god.

Clemens and Eldon investigated the room, Eldon noticing through perception and tracking that the wooden floor has scratches and claw markings all over it and some of it clearly go towards the door of the cottage. Clemens opened a chest, only to find it empty but having a wooden lever inside. Hastily without thinking, he opened it and party heard a mechanism beneath them. Raigon investigated the floor and in time found out that the carpet hid something. Moving the carpet, and they found a hatch leading to a cold cellar. Two of them went down and lit up a torch, since it was decently dark in there.

This cellar had two items that required some rummaging and party succeeded with both rather well - Clemens found the "Tome of Despair", which is written in ancient Hellion (an old culture of the world). If the party manages to look into this book, they will find a lead with main storyline and one sidequest. Another finding was a small pocket-sized plate made of marble - it was a token of proof and a key for a safety vault in a noble bank that is located in the city of Fromach. In player-language - valuable loot!

While these two went through the cellar, after noticing one of the children was missing - Eldon lead NPC Braylen and the cleric to investigate the tracks (OH OH - PARTY SPLIT). Cleric kept making "Sense Motive" checks on Braylen, he found him rather odd at this point. Succeeded in one of them, where I revealed that NPC Braylen was truly interested from what the cleric could tell. Tracks ended soon, as the forest floor changed to be rough and softy, so no clear tracks remained. No one did not recognise the creature what would leave such tracks. The party regrouped in front of the cottage, Cleric and NPC Braylen questioned the children once more and were successful to find out that group of creatures had run out of the cottage four days ago. Elrowyn asked the children if he could help them somehow. A girl came to pull his hand and said, "you could get them out of there", and the girl pointed towards the pond - three more children floating in the watersurface, face down. Party stared at the pond, NPC Braylen shaking his head.

--end of session--

Hopefully it is an interesting read for someone. Like I said, whole group enjoyed our first session and they seem to be interested in the storyline. As was their wish, more story themed with mystery and not too much blood-soaking combat.

Being a GM is tough work, already players did things that forced me to improvise and figure out solutions - faster the better. Based on the feedback I succeeded rather well, I havent revealed anything yet or post-session discussed with how things went down. Will be interesting to see what they will do here.

Some notes I made;
    - cleric is happy to help strangers
    - the group of dwarf soldiers got aid from the party, I could write a follow-up on this. Maybe they encounter them again in a positive context due their own act -->another reward.
    - they decided to help children, instead of abusing or simply not caring
    - Eldon the Halfling never said his name to the party(!)

As a player in pen&paper RPG, it is always important to realise the difference between you the player - and the character. What you know because you sit in the table, does not mean the character knows it. Halfling spotted the figure on the bed, did not share the information and all players realised to play into this - they did not know what was in that secondary room and so acted accordingly. They avoided 'meta-gaming' here.

14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Chapter 1 - second session

Party took cautious action towards the pond, checking out possible pitfalls. They also used ability to sense magic, which gave them that this pond emits it but source is not the three dead children. Long legged fellows of the party hauled the child bodies to the shore, and started to investigate one girl and two boy child dwarves. Boys had one big, somewhat horizontal cut through their torso that seemed to be the cause of death. The cut on both of them were similiar, and for sure made with a weapon. The girl had no marks of violence, except marks on her throat. Party took this as a sign that girl was held underwater until death. Halfling noticed something under water surface on the left bank, and they investigated. A dead carcass, an odd mix of monstrous vermin and dwarf (image below). Reason of death was left unknown.

[​IMG]

After serious assessing, and the realisation of the sun going down in the horizon, party decided to burn the dead. The dead woman inside, this monstrous being and the three children. The group of children, and the party had a small funeral as they watched the dead burn.

One of the children whispered, "Farewell Mrs. Wallflower", as she watched the fire.
    Raigon noticed how the monster's body emitted yellowy smoke.

Group decided to sleep over night in the hut, and they set turns to take watch.
    [2 AM, Raigon only one being awake]

*a horrendous scream*
    Raigon rushed to watch through the window, saw nothing. He woke the rest of the group, and rushed out - others following his trail. One of the cotton farmer dwarves ran towards them, as screaming continued - the cries came from his direction. "Please help, they have my brother", cried the dwarf as his arm was covered in blood. Two monsters were rushing towards their direction, and party soon deemed these creatures to be the same kind as the dead one from the pond. Clemens and Raigon rushed in frontline to welcome the monsters with their blades, and with the aid of some spells - one monster was dead with one blow as one was stunned. As party seemed to handle the situation well, they noticed more creatures coming on their left flank - from the pond. Cleric rushed to duel one of them, but sadly kept missing his strikes - just like the monster next to him. Clemens heard immense crying and screaming inside the hut, and ran inside - one monster had gotten in from the window and was growling on the table. The beast charged and clawed - striking his side as he tried to dodge. Clemens felt he was bleeding. Raigon came in aid and with an uppercut unarmed strike, the beast flew into the fireplace and burned to death. Braylen and Raigon were sure the fight was over, and as they noticed the wound Clemens had - a huge shockwave came and windows shattered. Cleric Elrowyn and the halfling were knocked down. A huge, agile beast was standing in the front yard (image below)

[​IMG]

Halfling tried to get on his feet, but the beast grappled him with his tail and threw him aside. Children cried and the party stood shocked as the monster hit part of the front wall broken. Both of the tails came in, and grabbed one child each. Monster said, "Master awaits", and turned its back to utter words. A portal opened, and monster disappeared through it - leaving yellowy smoke behind.

--end of session--

This was the end of the first chapter of our campaign that goes by name "Trusted Nails".

15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I finally got the will to try, and start writing our journey in english too.

Session 3

After meeting the monster, party decided to stay at the scene over night and travel come the morn', their goal to take the children to the monastery at the city of Fromach. During travel they had bit of RP, basically I allowed them to brainstorm the events that had happened. Once arriving to the city, they saw a big line of citizens waiting at the eastern city gates - eventually ignoring this and they took turn right for the St. Vorsodi, the monastery that was just outside the city. There they were greeted, and offered a place to rest and stay - also during their ride Clemens noticed that his wound was glowing with yellow tone. Monastery healer focused on helping the sickest child, and then took a look at Clemens. Healer did not recognise the disease, but was certain it would be the same condition as the child. Party cleric Elrowyn didn't believe this, felt the healer was being dishonest so Sense Motive throw took place - I told them healer was authentic, and didn't really know that much. Then healer gave Clemens a smallish potion, hoping it would suffice (normal antidote for poisoning).

Party insisted they wanted to meet Mother Rolliken, who was the head of the monastery. A student called @Regor (sorry mate, had to improvise a name!) promised to do his best, and arrange it next morning. This allowed party to sit down, and try to get to know each other bit better. Evening went by, then for some reason even GM doesn't know - Halfling Eldon said that he isn't Eldon, but Elgor. Dwarf Raigon made some jokes about sudden name change, being the drunk monk he is, and caused halfling to leave the table and went for a walk in the gardens. There halfling player felt he really wanted to try and climb the wall of the monastery. Tried, got half way and fell - may we blame the wine used at the table. Annoyed by his failure, and told by the students - he went back inside and behaved.

Party slept well, and woke up. Soon meeting the Mother. Players really wanted loads of information here, they ask'd about the hut at the pond, the small and the giant monster - Mother Rolliken got caught up by surprise as she didn't expect such a hailstorm of questions. Cleric Elrowyn described the symptoms he figured from the children, and show'd great worry about the kids. Bard Clemens who was not feeling too well, wanted to if the giant monster was something she knew about and even drew a picture for the Mother. Not knowing the monster she felt being unable to help the party, but suggested they should see the captain of the city guard - although warned about his tricky character. Dwarf Raigon wondered, and wanted to know more. Mother said the captain was not a dwarf, but a half-breed - describing further as crude and cold.

Students came, whispered to the Mother, and Mother looked slightly worried. Then she offered that once city guards come, and take the children to local fort of Plaguemonks, they should join them and this way get inside the city fast. Here, Bard Clemens could quite possibly get help along the children.

--end of session--

Plaguemonks are a concept of mine in the world I created. Slightly religious, but more about alchemy and science. They handle great diseases and outbreaks, which were slightly common during war time. Now after the Great Collapse, lot of people move around and through the land - spreading diseases. At its core, they are an order that are devoted to alchemy and believe it is the solution to most problems, be it a sickness or a monster that needs to be killed. They serve under the city rulers, out of their own will. There has been times, when the city of Fromach and plaguemonks didn't get along - and old grudges could easily be lightened again especially with the crude captain of the city guard being in the equation.

Regor likes this.