Ilgoth's Miniatures (8/1: Ork Stormboyz)

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
And the squad is finished! I feel these are lot better than my first squad. Armor is a tint lighter with more contrast and using yellow on guns instead of red works beautifully. Need to go back to first squad and bring them to same level.

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-ds.jpg

And invidiual shots. Starting with regular grunt.

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-1.jpg

Continueing with the squad leader (can tell from the totem on top of his back).

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-2.jpg

Another grunt, who I think has the best shading overall. Really smooth, for example on the helmet or right leg.

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-3.jpg

Special weapon guy is the wolf head. Guy who u watched through the work.

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-4.jpg

And the fifth guy, regular grunt.

SW-GH-SQUAD-2-5.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
While I paint Dark Souls heroes for my brother, I am converting and modelling the next band for the Wolves.

SWTBCwip1.jpg

That unit usually rides giant wolves, but I preferred giant bears. ^^ Gonna be three of them.

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
My squad of three thunderbears is pretty much ready for paint. Lacking the bases though, bit unsure what kind of style I want with them. Gonna be awesome. :D:D

SWTBCwip4.jpg

SWTBCwip3.jpg

SWTBCwip2.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
Bears getting ready for color! Like the preshading here, contrast is spot on. Bear is really readable on the table.

SWTBCwip5.jpg

SWTBCwip8.jpg

SWTBCwip7.jpg

b6a059c958464533113a2ae06ad32ec8_68634.jpg

Last edited:

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
Finally got myself around to doing work on the bases. Tomorrow after these are dried, I can put in smaller gravel and texture.

pOsePnB.jpg

LordLauri

Rookie
Country Flag
Woot, another Trollbloods collector. I really like the colors you're using for them, makes them stand out nicely. And that rusty armor has some lovely weathering going on.

Love the idea of using bears instead of wolves. Some might call it heresy but tell that to a power armored genetically enhanced pseudo-human, haha.

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
Woot, another Trollbloods collector. I really like the colors you're using for them, makes them stand out nicely. And that rusty armor has some lovely weathering going on.

Love the idea of using bears instead of wolves. Some might call it heresy but tell that to a power armored genetically enhanced pseudo-human, haha.

Thanks! Wish I had more time at the moment, would love to buy The Mountain King for trolls. :D

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
I've had basic idea of my collection in my head all the time,but finally got it set with "official fluff" as well. From the 13 companies that are given to us, I decided to go with The Grimbloods.

"In Fenrisian myth, the Fire Wolf burns hot without being consumed. Some whisper Kjarl Grimblood bears a gift from his sigil; that he can reas the futures in the fires of war. True or not, his his company uses many flamer weapons, exulting in the smell of cooked flesh."

I will enforce this in my weapon choices to some extent, already can be seen in my two grey hunter squads that pack a flamer in them. I wont be doing the shoulderpads though, will see if I bring up company mark to the miniatures somehow! Once I got more guys done, will be painting squad markings in.
1772e261fe9321e183cfa662dbdc3291.gif

Sadly the bodies I used for grey hunters has been taken off the market, so I am stuck with ones I have. I still have 10 unused, and all of them reserved for future ones. Meaning my collection will have total 20 grey hunters that look the same. Should be doable, game wise I mean.

Cant wait until I get to kitbash and figure out Kjarl Grimblood's mini, since he doesn't have official one.

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
Been working on the details lately. First time doing anything like this, making squad / battle role markings is not easy... Same goes for detailed banners.

SWTBCwip12e.jpg

SWTBCwip13e.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
To my strong suite, making bases. These are pretty much ready paint wise, might do one earth tone layer and then will be applying flock and all that...

SWTBCwip14e.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
My Thunderbears are finally done, although I noticed some errors while taking the photo so I need to fix those. But yeah, done (finally).

started 24.06.2018 – finished 19.11.2018

SW-TBC.jpg

Next up in line is 10 models, two times of five-model units - Wolf Guards. Their bodies ready for assembling.

WGs-wip1.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
My train has no breaks at the moment. Before todays stream I assembled them, and got ready for painting. Didn't take a photo, but actually started to work on bases as well!

I might add detail/decoration bits to their shields, so it goes along with the warhammer setting.

WGs-wip2.jpg

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
Painting continues, I've reached the longest process of painting their theme. That is creating the blue armor.

WGs-wip3.jpg

The guy on the right has the blue basecoat only, where as guy on the left has one layer of highlight. Difference is pretty big.

WGs-wip4.jpg

After giving both of them the highlight, I then gave guy on the left the shading (mixture of black and dark blue, watered down). Now it isn't so flat looking anymore. The way I see it generally; shading gives the model better readability, while highlights give them that "pop" effect.

Steps to come are;
- 2nd highlight layer, with same color as previous highlight
- 3rd highlight layer(optional), depending on the result of the previous one, same color as 2nd
- 4th highlight layer, with brighter color
(possible wash on this stage)
- 5th highlight layer(optional), I do this if I feel the 4th did not achieve enough brightness, focusing on top 33% of the model

These guys will be a banger, really love their details.

Last edited:

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
One more step done. I believe I will skip the optional highlight with this color, as one seem to be enough.

WGs-wip5.jpg

Same as before. Guy on the left has the highlight after shading. If you compare it to first image of all of this, you see there are more values thanks to the shading process. It could have been skipped completely to simply build up through dark --> light -layering, but to me that never achieves same level of vibrance.

Steps to come are;
- 2nd highlight layer, with same color as previous highlight
- 3rd highlight layer(optional), depending on the result of the previous one, same color as 2nd
- 4th highlight layer, with brighter color
(possible wash on this stage,if so, very minimal and precise)
- 5th highlight layer(optional), I do this if I feel the 4th did not achieve enough brightness, focusing on top 33% of the model

Whenever I look at my pictures after taking them on my phone, I am happy with how they look but every time when I view them bigger on PC monitor, I am very sad. :(:(

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
And the blue armor on guy on the left is finished!

WGs-wip6.jpg

I have a good pace with these guys at the moment. I think next I do all sorts of metallics, then furs and yellows!

Ilgoth

Courier Staff
Steam Username
Ilgoth
Cyanide Username
Ilgoth
Country Flag
I have been busy bee. Yellow parts are getting there, still need to "black line" some shadows and see if I highlight weapons a bit. Bronze parts on armor somewhat finished, so are the furs! About the backshot, blue armor visible there will mostly be hidden by the jump packs! They arrived yesterday, been assembling and basecoating those.

Next stop gun metallics.

WGs-wip7.jpg