1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilgoth's Miniatures (12/6: SW Wolf Guard WIPs)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Decided to start own thread for my mini painting stuff, and leave art thread for more traditional art.

Last winter I shared the Bouncer beast that I painted. All these minis are from Trollblood range, made by Privateer Press.
    [​IMG]

Same stuff continued with a guy from Fennblade unit.
    [​IMG]

Regor, TwoScoops and Sataric like this.
  2. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Damn, if I was half as good as this, I'd be damn pleased with myself.

Ilgoth likes this.
  3. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Very cool Ilgoth, thanks for sharing.

Ilgoth likes this.
  4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. :)

And 2nd man from the Fennblade unit is done.

[​IMG]

Regor likes this.
  5. Axtklinge

Axtklinge New Member

Country Flag:
    Those look really nice, congrats.
    Love the detail of the bases.
    Thanks for sharing!
    A.

Ilgoth likes this.
  6. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Bit of a blog post about what I plan to create in the near future. (sorry for my poor handwriting)

[​IMG]

I started to plan out a blood bowl pitch, which has been a dream of mine quite a while. To me these folded pitches just dont deliver the feel, and I always thought scenic blood bowl pitch would look cool on my shelf.

Being an evil self-centric person, I pretend I am making the stadium of Wurthûgel Wardens (my human team in BC2), and in my team blog I said the team is renting Goadmalice Park. Which is actually a stadium for ogre team in official blood bowl fluff. I figure that structures there are, would be made of stone. Still I don't limit myself too much with that, and most likely will use some wooden stuff as well.

pitch=
    all playing spaces
    floor=pitch + extra room around it, including dugouts

Like in the image, I plan to cut the pitch in half. Total length of the pitch is 91cm and width 52,5cm + the extra space around it - to me that is too big to keep in one piece when you think about logistics. After thinking a while, I'm also wishing I can make the actual pitch elevated and have sides of it nicely decorated. Supported in the middle as well, but this would give me hollow space under 'the floor' and provide storage. Possible space for the teams! (this would mean I need at least 7cm space below)

I believe, that if I made the floor 110cm long and 65cm wide, it will be big enough for playing. I was thinking about rolling the dice, which could be a bit problematic with the floor size, so maybe one of the decor buildings would work as a dice tower? Will see. The floor material will most likely be a cork board that is supported from below with something more firm. Cork board makes brilliant material since its very light, can take paint and is easy to craft/cut.

That's all for now, still brainstorming it.

Mikko likes this.
  7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Took a trip to our capital city, and grabbed a little gift for myself.

[​IMG]

sbr32, TwoScoops and mamutas like this.
  8. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I have modelled all the bad boys in, and now I'm facing the challenge to paint them all. ^^ I have my team colors already in mind, and I actually acquired warhammer 40k ork guy to test the theme. In short breakdown;
    • Orange armor
    • Grey/white trousers with purple freehand (dont know what kind)
    • dark blue leather items, bands belts and possible cloths under the armor
    • "worn green skin with light sand tint in it" (dont ask)
    My goblin team starting line-up is this:
    2x trolls – 220 000
    1x fanatic – 70 000
    1x looney -40 000
    11x goblins – 440 000
    3x RR – 180 00
    = totaling 950 000 (leaves me cash to buy one bribe for the first game)

I wish to buy the doom diver early on and try him out, I like the concept.

In other words, off to order another troll and that special weapon pack...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Street likes this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Wanted to share my theme testing phases, so here you go - this is my planned skin for goblins.

[​IMG]

The recipe for the skin:
    Basecoat: Citadel Straken Green (two thin layers)
    Drybrush: Citadel Ushabti Bone
    Drybrush: Citadel Screaming Skull
    Wash: watered down Straken Green (30% paint, 70% water)
    Wash: Citadel Nuln Oil
    Drybrush: Citadel Ushabti Bone
    Highlight: Citadel Ushabti Bone
    Highlight: Citadel Screaming Skull

I really like the outcome, it's not the usual greenskin color we see around, but it's still "orcish".

TwoScoops, Regor and Sataric like this.
  10. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Interesting that you did not completely assembled the miniature - I see no hand attached, right?
    I usually assemble them all before I start painting, which of course lead to some hard to reach spots and similar problems.
    But I am not a master by any means, so I am curious how do you the master do it? Assemble f

11. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Yea this is pretty much the reason. This guy is a holding an assault rifle kind of weapon with both of his hands, and it pretty much blocks the stomach and legs from front. While not actually obscuring them completely, so you would see all the unpainted stuff. :/ I always prefer to clue all the parts if I possibly can.

The guy is almost ready, so most likely will post pictures soon.

12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    A groupshot of my trollblood collection, so that makes the Bouncer + 3 fennblade grunts done. Pretty bad image, gotta do proper photoshooting once I got more finished.

[​IMG]

Seven more fennblades to go, then I have the warlock Gunnbjorn to do (very good looking mini!). Then I've painted all the trollbloods I own, most likely expand them eventually with a huge piece of Dozer & Smigg.

My theme testing figurine is still WIP, but here he is.
    [​IMG]

Loads of details to do around the gun and grey parts. I do like how the combination of orange, blue and the skin work.

13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    So here's the theme test miniature, pretty much done except his base is WIP. Bit hasty camerashots. I like the contrast between the skin and the orange, should look beautiful in goblin team! For gobbos, the pants will be white with purple markings.

[​IMG]

Regor and Ravers like this.
  14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I decided to work four goblins at the same time to be more time efficient.

I will use light grey basecoat, so the end result is as a bright as possible. The skins are done, though one guy's nose went brilliantly bad (first image, 2nd from right). Most likely I will now proceed to paint the underlying clothing/leather, which will be dark blue.

(sorry for bad images, seems my phone's camera is really bottlenecking with things this small)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regor likes this.
  15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I decided to make DYI-lightbox for photoshooting my minis, and here's the outcome.

A shoebox of my new shoes, cut the most of the lip open and covered it with baking sheet (it lets through some light).
    [​IMG]

The setup:
    [​IMG]

And a test photo:
    [​IMG]

It is bit yellowy outcome (my light's bulp has yellowy color), but I think it allows decent photos whatever is the weather and time of the day.

mamutas likes this.
  16. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    As others have said your bases are just awesome.

Also the pictures do show what great minis those gobbos are.

17. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Goblins advance, armor pieces almost done!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    mamutas likes this.
  18. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I will be playing a friendly match on tabletop against Chaos Dwarves. I dont have my 2nd troll and special guys, so not playing on a regular lineup. Unless my opponent agrees that I can just declare some minis to be something they are not.

19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Sounds painful

20. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    First tabletop match has been played, went against Chaos Dwarves with my gobbos! Lost the game 0-1.

(note that I did not actually check if his line-up was legal or not, trusted him blindly)
    Chaos Dwarves line-up:
    4x hobgoblins
    9x blockers
    4x RRs

Goblins line-up:
    15x goblins
    1x troll
    4x RRs

and 1x bribe

He won the toss, and started in offense. Have to say that compared to the coaches I've met here, he wasn't too skillful and his offensive was too broad and spread out. I managed to isolate his blockers here and there, and gave him obvious route to go for which I then effectively crushed from three sides. He soon ended up in a situation, where ball carrier would have to dodge twice + two GFIs for TD. He failed, and I managed to scoop-up the ball, and took the game to his end. It was looking very promising, but sadly I made one screening error which gave him a window to blitz my carrier. Soon half ended, pretty much nothing happening.

Surprisingly I had the numbers for my half (11vs10), and it was promising but with a special play card that gave -1 to pick-ups, catches and passes until the end of the drive, my ball handling wasn't there. After slipped hand-off, I never got the ball back and to my sadness - one Hobgoblin managed to take the ball and run for it. I tied him up with two goblins, and even threw one goblin at him - but hobgoblin was determined to take the ball and with lucky AG rolls, he made the game 1-0. I tried to one-turn with team-mate throwing, but the initial hand-off the soon-flying goblin failed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

My initial experience with goblins was great, and I dare to say I managed players well. Sadly my line-up is below mediocre, with special weapons I would have been able to win it. Maybe even with just one more troll, and it would have tipped the game for me. Tackle made my day harder, but I can live with teams such as (chaos) dwarves. Fun game, and throwing a gobbo at ballcarrier was the highlight.