1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilgoth's Miniatures (4/28: Ork Kommandos)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    This is really shaping up to be your best work yet, in my opinion. Keep it up, mate!

Ilgoth likes this.
  2. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Finally got these guys finished. Well, sort of. Noticed couple of details I forgot to do. But YAY they are game ready.

Wolf Guard, Squad number 1.

WG1-ryhmä-edit.jpg

Wolf Guard, Squad number 2.

WG2-ryhmä-edit.jpg

And then the leaders and their more posed squad mates. I tried to make one better posed fellow in both squads, and think I did well.

WG-highlights-edit.jpg

Couple of little details; squad leaders are white-haired dudes instead of the bright orange I've gotten on everyone else. Lore stuff... Wolf Guard is the veteran status within Space Wolves, which means you are combat experienced. Figured it would make sense that leaders are more aged, and stand out a bit. Within their respective companies, Wolf Guard units are always the company leader's trusted, usually working as their personal guard or heavy duty unit. I went with latter; these guys are equipped with jump packs - meaning they fly around the battlefield ignoring terrain problems. They can also arrive later to the battlefield, as deep striking reinforcements.
    - also better guns known as Storm Bolters. If whole unit fires an enemy within 12", it is 20 shots volley. :D
    - they have storm shields. If they get a wound, on a roll of 3+ the wound is ignored (unless mortal wound). :D

Oh and if their shield has that ornament, it means they survived a mission as a wolf guard. I made couple of them without it, meaning they are new recruits to these units. More on that once I paint one great character for my company. ;)

Also made a quick layout for a family shot so far, also revealing two next squads on table. 2x scout squads, packing shotguns and one heavy bolter (basically a machine gun).

perhe1-joulukuu18.jpg

Borke, Orielensis, Sataric and 3 others like this.
  3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Nice! That looks like it took a lot of hours to paint!

Ilgoth likes this.
  4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! I think I did use about 15-16hours to make the recent 2x 5-man squads. Somewhat same as with previous guys. I have gotten faster, but new guys had more plastic in them (and I had to paint before assembling all of it).

Three bears with their riders took way too much... But had so much detail in them.

edit//

I will be taking these Space Wolves to two competetive tourneys in couple of months.

First being local tourney, I got no idea what sort of missions it will be. But level of players is high. Second tourney happens late February, I will be traveling to our capital city to play for two days. Should be fun time!

5. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    post art.jpg

First competetive tourney, "Graintown Winter Wonderland", released its rules package and announced it is a beta test for that giant tourney "Winter War" I plan to play on. So I get to play same sort of missions twice, unless they swap them out completely. ;) They look pretty interesting, and most were released this month, so we are most likely one of the first to play it in tourney format.

---------##---------------###-------------##----------

Mission 1:
    Eternal War - Modified Vital Intelligence
    Maelstrom of War: Decapitation Strike

turnee-missio-1.JPG
    Blue markers are the locations of the game objectives. (objectives are numbered)

Scoring: Every objective is worth of 1 point, but every turn "active one" is worth of 2. Active determined by game rounds, so round 1 the objective 1 is active. Round 2 --> objective 2, and so on.

Extra points awarded from destroyed enemy units, line breaking (having an unit on the enemy's deployment zone at the end of the game), Tactical Objectives -cards that you gain which are basically side missions for your battle. "Defend objective 2", or "Destroy enemy unit in your Fighting phase." for example.

Game Length: 5 turns, but can continue. T6 happens on a roll of 3+, T7 happens on a roll of 4+. Turn 7 is the last possible round.

------ ## ------ ANALYSIS ------ ## ------

The way I see it, by turn 4 both of you have same amount of points from holding objectives assuming either players havent lost one. Also assuming objectives are numbered in a fair way.

My force is decently mobilized, as I have 2x APC tanks that has both close combat fighters and shooters inside. A such tank can move up to half-way of the table by turn 1, assuming it was deployed on the front of my zone. So I can choose if I want to be aggressive, and try to break opponent's force on one of the flanks. On top of those two APCs, I have one large tank that will have heavy infantry inside. I could use it as support unit, deployment close to midline on the side I plan on being on the offensive.

That leaves me with two squads of shooters, scouts unit, a battle walker and psyker to try hold my own end - while still having the jump pack units I just painted as reinforcements, ready to be deployed wherever. Sounds doable.

Mission 2:
    Eternal War - Narrow The Search
    Maelstrom of War: Distruptive Signals

turnee-missio-2.JPG

Scoring: At the centre of the battlefield is the objective for Eternal War mission. Simple take and hold, modifier being that control area shrinks every round. It is 18 inches at first, and keeps shrinking 3 inches every game round.

On top of that, players by taking turns, place 6 other objectives on the battlefield that are used for Tactical Objective -cards, aka Maelstrom of War mission.

Game Length: 5 turns, but can continue. T6 happens on a roll of 3+, T7 happens on a roll of 4+. Turn 7 is the last possible round.

Special Rule, Null Field: Invulnerable Saves cannot be used when within an objective.

I expect this to be pure mid-madness with both sides somehow using the flanks, depending on location of other six objectives and Tactical Objective -cards we happen to draw out of our decks. Depending on that draw luck, I think I am not forced to commit my main force on holding the middle.

Special rule is bit annoying, as my jump pack guys did have that 3+ invulnerable save. Instead of trying to hold a distant objective with them, they might end up being used to drop into hotzone and set up a shooty stronghold within cover.

Here my mobility doesn't help that greatly, I think this could be the hardest for my troops. My guys are kitted with stronger short range weapons, so "in your face" mentality could be surprisingly good.

Mission 3:
    Eternal War - Modified Supplies from Above
    Maelstrom of War: Strategic Gamble

turnee-missio-3.JPG

Scoring: Four different objectives placed on the battlefield, again players taking turns in it, so both place two. Holding an objective is worth of 1 point.

Tactical Objective -cards have special ruling here. You can discard a card at start of your turn to draw a new one. If you score the new one on that turn, it is worth double the points.

Extremely good deployment format for my troops. Being so mobilized, I should be able to spearhead the midtable. Vital strategy being, I hot drop the jump pack units on table during my Turn 1. Narrow table means it is easier to deny the landing (you cant land within 9" of an enemy unit).

My lack of artillery hurts a bit (I am low on weapons that have long range with hight strength & armor penetration).

Mission 4:
    Eternal War - The Four Pillars
    Maelstrom of War: Visions of Victory

turnee-missio-4.JPG

Blue markers are the locations of the game objectives. (objectives are numbered)

Scoring: At the end of each game round, if you control more objectives than your opponent, score 1 point. If you control them all, score 3 points.
    Special Ruling: Only Troop units can control an objective.

Special ruling, "No Prisoners": At the end of each game round, score 1 point if you destroyed more enemy units than you lost during that round.

There will be placed two more objectives, one by each player, for Tactical Objective cards. Those two are ignored for objective scoring (they are for the cards only).

Mixed feelings, as I only have 4x troop units. I have hard time controlling objectives, if the enemy is able to target and destroy these units. All of them are somewhat easy to take down (kind of applies to all armies on this unit category), but main problem is short amount.

I think I have to aim to control 2x objectives my self, and simply disrupt opponent on one of them in order to gain advantage. Scoring through Tactical Objective -cards is important here.

Mission 5:
    Eternal War - Modified Beachhead
    Maelstrom of War: Modified Scars of Battle

turnee-missio-5.JPG

Scoring: There will be four objectives, one on each deployment zone and then two objectives on that center line, one placed by each player. For turn 1 all are worth 1 point, but from turn 2 and onwards, objectives in the middle are worth of 2 points.
    Special Rule: taking over the objective on your opponents deployment zone scores 3 points.

Tactical Objective -cards have special rule for this one. Opponent decides one category of cards, and it will be discarded. Total of six cards, in other words.

Good mission for my mobile force. My ability to harass all over the field helps out, and I can create good pressure towards the objective on opponent's deployment zone.

Overall I think it is decent set of five games, first three played on Day 1 and remaining two days after.

Knowing the current balance in game, there will be lot of armies that have high body count and low amount of vehicles. Overall my force must be one of the most mobile ones, but I have no huge walkers to spearhead into enemy lines. They are very popular at the moment, so I only need to counter them with right weapons, or force them into a close combat with some cheap troop unit.

Some missions force me to leave simple 5-man unit w/ snipers to sit and score, and hope opponent is unable to contest there by placing my forces in correct way.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Sataric and Orielensis like this.
  6. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Good luck sir!

Ilgoth likes this.
  7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! Will be loads of fun. I still have 8x models in mail, so will have busy time making them game ready. I need to come up with Callsigns to different squads, to have some storytelling starting sith heroic deeds.

8. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Been busy making the army tournament ready. I am painting those 10 scouts at the same time while I built Bjorn the Fell-Handed, a dreadnought that I customized for personal look.

bjornwip1.jpg

I gave him legs from different range of products, and then kitbashed pieces to make it look like original design. Once it is all painted I will take some closeups on what I mean. Painting wise I've only made first tone of the blue armor. Busy busy.

Scouts behind have blues finished, working on their combat fatigues at the moment. Pace is good; if I get all of these done this weekend, it's looking strong and possible to get all of them done for the tourney.

edit//

I just enjoy making the yellow parts now that I have started to get it right (smooth). Three on the first row have yellow finished outside couple of mistake fixes.

scouts1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Borke and Regor like this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Sadly it seems that my three character miniatures did not arrive in time for the tournament, and I am unable to model those three without them. So my participation in the first tourney is cancelled. :(:( I will still go there, and see how it goes around though.

This time of waiting I've used in other stuff that I will post soon. Been learning about reposing miniatures. Aka chopping them into pieces, re-arranging them into more dynamic pose and then complete it by sculpting.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Lot of work done, and posting them here in one big bunch.

New addition is the high-end battle tank, able to carry squad of heavy infantry inside. Only assembled, ready for heavy painting process. I paint weapons and their platings before clueing them on, as there is lot of visible areas I would be unable to paint if you clue them first.

LRCwip1.jpg

Slightly excited and worried painting that. Weathering a tank, and making it look believable seems hard!

My walking robot advances as I work on other stuff. This way I am unable to rush it, as I really wanna make it look good.

bjornwip2.jpg

Getting the basics in. Blue armor is slowly getting there with still more lighting to be done. But liking where it's going! Fancy to have custom built stuff in collection. :D Once I get guns done, I will clue them on. Front armor plating has lot of intricate details in it, will be hard to paint them bronze without making a mess on blue...

A shot from behind.

bjornwip3.jpg

Making the machinery below mainbody is somewhat tedious. But I am getting there! Not too far from finishing that area. The engine and exhausts on his back need lot of love... Due to custom legs he is about two and a half centimeters higher than normal. I don't mind that, and I am sure no opponent will cry about it while playing.

The scouts are done minus bases, as I plan on mass-basing day. Get couple of units ready, and then assemble production line. Alcohol must be induced... Oh and their transports already basecoated!

scouts2.jpg

Transports fit in 10 guys, so two remaining units unassembled will accompany the scouts. Vehicles are called 'Rhinos' for some odd reason. Only pack cheap machinegun on top of them, pretty pointless gaming wise. I guess it is couple of bullets more for lucky rolls. :rolleyes: Their purpose is to take these guys to more distant objectives, before exploding and taking couple of guys with them...

Collection getting big!

I also decided I would roll Orks as secondary army. Because I love them, @stephB made me realise how great this magnificent race is. They also provide seriously amazing base for personality, and oh boy what I have in mind. :p I plan on chopping them into pieces, and repose most of their models for completely unique look. I've never done it before this week, and since I once got a unit of them as a gift, I already got to try working custom poses:

kommando-wip1.jpg

Looks more dynamic I think! Tried to form a pose where he is launching that homemade tankbusting bomb into air. Leg was cut from two joints, re-clued together and filled gaps with modelling putty.

kommando-wip2.jpg
    Pretty decent for first go!

stephB and Orielensis like this.
  11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I love 40k orks no other race worth your time. I played Eldar myself briefly and they were alright, but no orks. Looking good

12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Finally took some time from other stuff to make it come true. Here are the kommandos, first addition to collecting "greenskins".

Kommandos-1-ready.jpg

Pretty unorthodox theme from me, but I cant help it - I wanted to boost up ferocity. ALRIGHT. Blue skin and warm base brings in easy and strong contrast too... Combined with muted clothing and gear, we are fine. :rolleyes: Blue warpaint there to indicate they follow the deathskulls culture. Which is pretty simplistic, they just believe blue makes them extremely lucky... Have to say though, now I understand why we don't see painted ork armies shared over internet too often. Huge horde faction, and still models are extremely detailed with lot of stuff. I personally had a go at armylist making, and it requires 177 models for standard size game.... But loved painting these anyway, different stuff that I have done previously.

I made these collages from three of them that are fully done. Two of them had some fixing to do... Starting with their boss.

boss-close-up.jpg

Proud of how his face turned out, was bit worried I failed it. From these shots you can tell I have that painterly style, I dont overly smooth my colors. I think gritty brush strokes with orks too well. His base has a rusting marine corpse, and from his backpack you can see how he decided to grab a helmet as a memory. Is good one too. :D

Next one the guy who I reposed back in January.

grunt1-close-up-reposed.jpg

Problem of painting these guys are the backpacks, which are never ending labour. Little strings, collected rusting bullets attached to the pouches, more bombs, more everything. These guys are bad sort of hoarders. :(

grunt2-close-up.jpg

Last guy I'm very proud of. Face succeeded well, and the grid in his pants is my best freehand work so far.