1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilgoth's Miniatures (6/9: Coloring Space Wolves)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Been so lazy with my postings but today I finally decided it would be enough, and set up myself for some photoshooting!

These Zombicide heroes were actually finished before the one I posted last time, so here is a group shot.
    [​IMG]

I am very happy with this level of detail, figures are small and are stored in boardgame box so didnt really feel like doing loads of layers with all colors. Tried to have some eye candy in all of them (guy with his purple cape, or the smith with his cloth). Most of them were fun to paint, but I did start to get tired as I painted them all at the same time. Facial details are bad, but honestly some of the casts had facial depth missing (like the woman with her crossbow). I think I could improve it with one more layer (skin color 75% - yellow 25% mix).

Heroes need their enemies! Here is the biggest zombie, the Abomination.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried to focus on this one, since he is the eye catcher. This is the fellow heroes are afraid of, and players keep looking at it to remind where this big guy is about. Ripped clothing is very simple and short on layers, but the skin has total of 6 layers. Proud of the skin, really like the contrast I was able to create here.

Some minions for the abomination;
    [​IMG]

and some close-ups on runners and fatties;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The zombies in my opinion dont need too much work, especially with their feet. Due to the game, you usually have them in groups, sometimes in hordes, running about and you dont really see too much of the figure. Thus no point in making too detailed bases, they are just unicolor with gray random tiling and wash on top (finalised with painted rim). I did not add blood, reason 1 being I dont own proper paints for it and reason 2 - I despise overly done blood effects. ^^:p

And that is it for Zombicide! Zombies were painted during January, alongside the ogre hero. Other heroes were finished back in December. Pretty good pace with 2018 painting so far!

When I started the thread I posted bunch of trolls from Privateer Press. That unit is advancing slowly, but half of them now done!
    [​IMG]

And here is something I am now working on, back to my childhood roots of Warhammer 40,000 universe with some custom work... Zero paint yet, but liking the modelling results!:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Azura, mamutas, Sataric and 1 other person like this.
  2. gamesminiatures

gamesminiatures New Member

Country Flag:
    good idea !

3. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    First squad of Space Wolves Grey Hunters complete. Really enjoy the result of the kitbash. Painting them took a while, seems everytime with new painting scheme I am extremely slow. Also didnt paint much during March :rolleyes::rolleyes: Tried to make rubbled ruins that are getting overgrown with some Autumn colours. One of many squads. These guys will most likely remain as only WH40K collection on my shelf.

Below single-guy shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Sataric, stephB, Azura and 1 other person like this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Again the bases are amazing

5. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    The bases certainly seem my strong suit. Wish I would be able to paint little better.

6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    I didn’t mean the painting isn’t good!

7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I know but I always just feel that way. :D

8. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I've started painting Dark Souls boardgame pieces for my brother, and yesterday I finished their next boss fight - Gargoyle. Strong daylight made some metallic parts bit too bright in the pictures, but hopes you guys get the idea. I held it true for the video games, and gave armor ghostly blue tones. Otherwise very gray/dark brown piece. For practical reasons, I highlighted the cross on the base with brass metallic so the offensive sectors of the Gargoyle are very clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mamutas and Regor like this.
  9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Started on the next group of guys. One guy at my local game shop was kind enough to demo and teach Warhammer 40,000 in its current edition. Was a blast, lot better game than it used to be back in 2012-2014.

SWGHSwip2.jpg

10. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Basic set-up for painting has been done. Just like with the first squad, I paint them in black&white before glazing the colors. These guys still need one layer of shadowing, and then two-four layers of highlighting before they are ready for color.

Work with the bases began, I aim for cool and moving poses so will see how this goes. Guy with flamer(wolf head) will be real cool.

SWGHSwip3.jpg

Sataric likes this.
  11. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Bases have advanced, and now they are at the phase as the miniatures.

Small breakdown on how I make the bases.

Before painting.
    1. Create basic shapes using cork sheet (brilliant stuff for miniature modelling)
    2. You know that plaster you would use to fill holes in concrete wall? That's the light grey stuff I use. I blob it on top of cork pieces. When I use it to bring up the final shape of the land, I also add and put down couple pieces from this jar. NOTE: no clue needed. As plaster dries, it hardens and these pieces are stuck forever.
    3. By using two GW Texture paints called "Stirland Mud" and "Astrogranite Debris", we bring in more variety to the textures. You could easily create same result with fine sand mixed in with PVA clue.

Then onto the painting. Scroll down through the pictures.

SWGHSwip4.jpg SWGHSwip5.jpg

I use Citadel range paints, so here it goes.
    1. Basecoat the bases with Layer paint, "Skavenblight Dinge". Quite frankly? Simple spray can with dark grey would do.
    2. Then roughly drybrush the upper half of the scenic base with Layer paint, "Dawnstone".
    3. With 45 degrees angle to your brush, drybrush with Layer paint, "Ulthuan Grey" all around. From all sides.
    4. Final step. From directly above, drybrush with Ulthuan Grey again.
    This way you create Zenithal highlighting.

Zenithal highlighting is simply a way of preshading a model. In astronomy the word ‘zenith’ means the point in the sky or celestial sphere directly above an observer, so in painting terms it means your highlight comes directly from above the miniature.

[​IMG]

More to come, will continue the "how-to" writing as I progress with Grey Hunters squad #2.

12. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Very cool Ilgoth

13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Took some poster putty, and tried their planned poses and this is how the unit looks.

SWGHSwip6.jpg

One thing I do with this specific collection is I dont hold true to Zenithal highlighting. After I have done it, I once more grab Ulthuan Grey and drybrush from one direction with about 25-35degrees angle. This is to highlight the side of the figure that I wanna endorse, and this is the planned direction of taking the photo of the finished model. I keep it rather light, so the contrast isn't too much. Here's one grunt with the flamer from this squad.

SWGHSwip7.jpg

The pictures aren't perfect, you can see slight difference in values outside the figure as well.

One on the right shows the planned side that got one last set of drybrushing. You can see the difference; edges are lighter, large surfaces have weaker shadows as well, where as one on the left has it all toned down. Not a huge difference, but it does pop up one side a bit.

This is the first phase in painting style called sketching, where the idea is to create contrast within the miniature. By giving one side lighter values, you will enforce shadows overall and with sketching style shadows are your best friend. Aim is to have 40-50% of your miniature with very dark values. This basic principle comes from digital painting and concept art, where you need fast paintings and ideas without losing too much quality.

Obviously I am a beginner with sketching, this is second squad I paint with this style. Here's what one guy can do with it:

example.JPG

But back to my squad. So my current status of the group has basic lighting rendered. Now next steps are.

1. I glaze/wash the shadows in. This is mixture of GW Base "Abaddon Black" 90:10 GW Base "Kantor Blue". Yes, I told you it is black and white, but I use blue. I cheat. Okay? But small amount of blue mixed in fits with Space Wolves since armor is light blue, giving this color tone in shadows allows me to leave the shadows visible in finished model. Note: shadows are put across whole miniature, but remember our last step? I be more careful with the lighter side, and only apply it to the rims and deep pockets in the sculpt.
    2. Very light layering of greys, will use "Stormvermin Fur" and "Dawnstone".
    3. Glazing and blending "Ulthuan Grey", with about 20% of the model. Focused on higher part of the model.
    4. Final highlight here and there with "White Scar", mostly within the strokes of previous step. Stuff like helmet, top of the gun, metal parts and so on.
    That's the plan. Will post pictures step-by-step with one model.

Regor likes this.
  14. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    This post will have all the phases of pre-color painting. I keep editing it as I go. Sadly my photographing skills aren't the best for phase-by-phase, as Im unable to control same lighting for all photos.

I glaze/wash the shadows in. This is mixture of GW Base "Abaddon Black" 90:10 GW Base "Kantor Blue". Yes, I told you it is black and white, but I use blue. I cheat. Okay? But small amount of blue mixed in fits with Space Wolves since armor is light blue, giving this color tone in shadows allows me to leave the shadows visible in finished model. Note: shadows are put across whole miniature, but remember our last step? I be more careful with the lighter side, and only apply it to the rims and deep pockets in the sculpt.
    (difference below, before-after)

SWGHSwip7.jpg
    SWGHSwip9.jpg

And then bases, before-after the shadows.

SWGHSwip8.jpg

Regor likes this.
  15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    And so, the coloring begins. This post has all the color shots.

First, I simply mixed in GW Russ Grey (layer paint) + GW Lahmian Medium (technical) with 50:50 ratio, and then Glazed the armors.

Just one layer, and we already have good amount of variation in blue values.

SWGHSwip10.jpg

Extra detail shot. There you can see how I have build-up the shadows with the cloak.

SWGHSwip10e1.jpg
    Then I used GW Fenrisian Grey (layer paint) with Lahmian Medium, 50:50 ratio and glazed lighter parts of the armor.

SWGHSwip11.jpg
    As my next phase, I used Balthazar Gold (GW base paint) with Lahmian Medium, ratio being 75:25 due to the nature of our metallic paint. Glazed it two times on top of the details.

SWGHSwip11-2.jpg

Then. Our fearsome yellow that as a color is notorious for being tricky to paint. Hard to get smooth finish, and its coverage is non-existent. I believe in my technique, so lets dive in.

Mix Averland Sunset (GW base paint) with Lahmian Medium, 50:50 ratio. Then proceed to do as many glazes as you need to get that smooth finish. I needed three. As last step, use Seraphim Sepia (GW wash) to lightly apply it in the shadows. All phases below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Regor likes this.
  16. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah already looking pretty good

Ilgoth likes this.
  17. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Post above has been updated with more phases.