1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goblin Ill-Fated Alliance (BC)

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Dionysian, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
  2. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    Ill-Fated Alliance lost their sponsors just before the start of season 3 and while it didn’t take long to secure alternative funding the unfortunate timing meant they had to defer the start of their BC career to S4. Or so they thought. ‘Tis the season to ragequit apparently, which created enough room for a few well-placed bribes to grease Alliance’s way into MD2.

First up Street’s Chaos side: The Skorned. Of main concern were the block tackle warrior, Skornfield, and Juriskornsult, the blodge beast. But, with MNGs bringing Skorned down to a bare 11 man roster and being close to the sweetspot in tv diff at +450 (Ripper + 3 bribes hubba hubba) I was pretty confident about this match-up.

Ripper starts the match intending to feed the fanatic, but KO’s his beast instead. Chucky the looney KO’s his too. Great Goblin just dances around his beast, so Skekso tries to 3d it - only to end up with a BD. Ugly, but the resultant Cas means Skorned are down to 8 before Street even gets to move a piece. RAWR.

Chucky KO’s another piece next turn and Smeagol gathers the ball. But, it’s been a couple of months since I coached Goblins and the first of 2 big mistakes crops up here when I isolate my fanatic. Tragically his injury next turn was a niggle, so he misses MD3 against the dwarves.

Phil Urich kills Skorned Beef the mino with a stamp. Sadly Cyanide didn’t implement the special CRP rule that states apo’s and regen don’t work when playing stunty teams. Apo not only saves the big lump but patches him up ready for the next drive.

T6 Skeksil finally stops going stupid and gets a Cas on Skornfield. BOOOOM. No more tackle. Chaos have 5 on the pitch and max 9 for the rest of the game.

T7 Smeagol is a GFI short of scoring and it’s slightly awkward to wait, but anyone who has played me will be unsurprised by my decision to go for the perfect 8 turn drive. Juriskornsult takes 4+ and 5+ dodges to get 2d on the BC and successfully knocks the ball loose, but Skorned have no more players to do anything with it. Alliance needs a 3d push from Ripper then a .89 pick up to score. Previous goblin play has left me terrified of 89% scores but this one works for Harelip.

Halftime 1-0 to Ill-Fated Alliance

Skorned try to hand off to Juris, but fail. Goblin fans can already taste the win when Smeagol picks up the loose ball and goblins flood the Chaos half. Juris gets 4 dice on Smeagol but fails to find the :pow: or :bothdown:. Smeagol has a 79% chance to bury the game with a 3+ leap and a 3+ dodge to score. 2 reroll 1.

Miskornstruction gets the loose ball and heads to the opposite flank. However, Ripper dropped back to play sweeper and nails the move boosted beast next turn. Crowd sends the ball back to the centre for Urich to grab, but Juris could double GFI hit him – :pow:. Urich is gone.

Second big mistake here as I fail to spot Skeksil had no babysitter, burning our penultimate reroll on his RS fail, while losing tackle zones on the ball and Juris into the bargain. Barton is blitzed onto the ball, but it scatters straight into Elvis’ hands! Elvis sprints upfield but is left exposed to yet another double GFI Juris :pow: when Harry Osborn trips trying to seal the screen.

Biskorn grabs the ball. 2 reroll-less GFIs and a handoff to Miskorn would pretty much seal the draw, but he slips and KO’s himself. Alliance stop trying to score a second and just surround the ball. Skorned have one final chance. A 5/6 blitz, 4+ pick-up, 6+ throw, 3+ catch (TRR available). Reroll burned on the pick-up. Miracle throw achieved. Miskornceived pitifully squanders his chance at glory with a dropped catch.

Final Score: Ill-Fated Alliance 1-0 The Skorned

Alliance MVP is wasted on Chucky.

Thanks for the game Street, second half was tense with Juris working incredibly hard and possession switching every couple of turns.

3. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Good to see your goblins in and off to a good start Dio! I imagine this match didn't do much to help Street's goblin withdrawal...

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Elvis and Crunchaball? Have you cleared this with their owners?

5. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    The second half was indeed tense, the highlight for me was still no Perm injuries and Mino leveled up after getting the 4spp he needed from just this game. Sadly Skorned Beef only got a normal level up roll.

6. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    Homage. Or cynical marketing ploy - by the time fans realise they're ringers whose parents simply named them after their favourite stars people will already have paid for season tickets. Arses on seats, yo, Alliance gots to pay the bills from a shoestring budget. Ringers are cheaper than legends and we saved money by not needing a necromancer.

7. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    MD3: vs Foebreakers (Dwarf - Netsmurf)

While I don’t find Dwarves a particularly difficult race to play against in general, this isn’t the easiest match-up for Goblins. 860 TV down I took Morg, Ripper and 3 bribes. On reflection the bribes should almost certainly have been a wizard vs Dwarves.

I didn’t really see how I could get a result without running hot at the beginning. Unfortunately the start consisted of losing the toss and 2 players (one from a thrown rock) before I got to move a piece. That first turn also ended when Harry Osborn quad-skulled. Things didn’t get any better for the Alliance when Magma Fury killed Ripper on a -2D block on T4. Magma certainly enjoyed himself this match notching up 5 casualties. That should have been gameover, but Smurf got a little greedy moving his AG4 runner back to the midline for assists rather than keeping it in scoring range. That let me -2D blitz the blocker stalling on the endzone and I nailed the 11% takedown. I can’t do anything to reduce the 45% blocker dodge, pick-up GFI TD, but have the fantastically bright idea to stand up my trolls and Morg and bait him into blocks that might eat his reroll. I click end-turn and see the chainpush I’ve left. Smurf jumps on the mistake straight away to push the AG4 runner into range for a 90% TD, but Alliance get a reprieve when he fails the required GFIs.

All Alliance need to do is hold onto the ball for a few turns and they have a massively unexpected shot at victory here. Inexplicably I make a break to the left with the ball carrier and friends that would be completely standard with most races, but was a huge error here as it separated the BC from Morg and goblins present a papier-mâché defensive structure. Smurf put TZs on the BC and the pogo failed his getaway as he’s prone to do. No more errors from Foebreakers as they put the game away 1-0.

Fair enough result. Although the dwarves o-drive failure was largely self-inflicted they also got pretty unlucky for the runner positioning error to matter. Also, Alliance don’t deserve an upset victory when their coach does dumb things.

[​IMG]

8. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    MD4 vs Nuts for the nut god (Wood Elf - Squall)

Down 960 TV vs Squall’s division leading 3-0-0 woodies, Alliance induce Ripper, Morg, Wiz and two bribes.

Nuts win the toss, choose to receive, get a reroll from the KO and take out two gobs on T1. The one bright spot is Nuts end the turn by offering the niggled catcher, Walnut, to the saw. Chucky can only manage a KO tho, also KO’ing a lino on T2 before getting taken out himself the next turn (reducing gobs to 7), at which point he decided to spend the rest of the game asleep wasting a bribe.

It's looking horrible for the Goblins and perhaps sensing the potential for a high scoring win Squall runs it in on T4 in the first of two rapid-fire decisions Nuts would come to regret later.

Opening blocks, the fanatic and a foul yielded 3 KOs at the start of te return drive. SkekSo also killed the elven kicker on a blitz – controversially apo’d to BH. With the elves reduced to 7 and 4 turns to play the goblin bleachers wake up and start chanting the sexiest words in any language – TWO ONE GRIND.

T8: Acorn, the sidestep diving tackle catcher, only 4 pts shy of superstar status and one of Nuts two best players, marks the ball-holding Morg on the goal-line. One pities the coroner who has to make the call between death by misadventure or suicide. Zap. Funeral dirge.

Halftime: Ill-Fated Alliance 1-1 Nuts for the nut god

Alliance receive 11 v9 . No removal this time around, but Morg gathers the ball safely. T11, Morg kills Hazlenut, the promising young strong arm thrower. An enraged Chestnut has had enough and tries to -2d leap-strip Morg, in a graceful move not unreminiscent of an elephant ballerina. The ref calls a turnover with the horribly fluffed "landing", and after a closer look waves on the undertaker as well.

Flexing and strutting for the crowd Morg walks it home on T16 to cap a legendary performance.

With 4 elves on the pitch that should be game, but one is the move boosted Coconut so the quick snap gives a slim OTTD which the distraught elves don’t bother to attempt.

Final Score: Morg N Thorg 2-1 Nuts for the nut god

The Alliance coach tried to console his opposite number by reminding him that Woodies were the team best equipped in the entire sport to win with rookies and loners, but it remains to be seen if the franchise has a future or if the Alliance have claimed the first of many forced retirements.

The grist next up to the goblin victory mill are jounisii's Wood Elves - Greenpeace Sucks, clocking in at 1920 TV.

MD4 Match Report:
    [​IMG]

Greenpeace Sucks:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    I wonder if Jounisii will be at all intimidated considering what happened to the Nutters. Also good job. Sounds like it was an awesome game, for you.

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Sounds even worse than the way Squall told it - god I hope my rats can avoid these gobbos

11. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    MD5 against Greenpeace Sucks sadly fizzled for the goblin heros. The toss was lost yet again and the elven cowards chose to receive rather than bravely face down the Great Goblin. Chucky killed Nuclear Meltdown, in a brief flash of promise (goblins hopes mainly rested on removing the two strip ball dancers), but that was sadly apo'd to BH.

Goblin fans go wild when the elven catcher snake eyes to drop the ball and Morg collects it, but it's at the cost of exposing Chucky who gets his hand smashed by a wrestle elf. Chernobyl -2D strips Morg and elves score on T8.

The 1TTD attempt lands a square too short and the heart goes out of the goblins somewhat who don't try hard enough to get the ball back into Morg's hands. The goblin ball carrier is no match for the dancers. Morg would probably get stripped again, but we should at least force the -2D roll. Inducing a suicide leap with it would be all the better.

Thanks to jounisii for a highly enjoyable strategical battle.

12. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    J-dawgs roster
    [​IMG]

Tricky decision time coming up when (if?) Nordland rolls over into MD6. I generally consider MNG to be a firing injury on a looney and had planned to fire/rebuy, but then the fanatic got injured too.

This is a game I probably need to win to achieve my personal goal of finishing above .500, and with the complete lack of tackle and only the Ogre having MB I would love my chances with weapons. Firing and rebuying both leaves 0 gold and may get us into trouble long-term, but I'm not sure the looney alone is going to cut the mustard...

13. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Tough choice, question is how much inducement will you be getting? Assuming your front page roster is up to date you have 950TV, Lets say 990 as you rebuy the looney but leave the fanatic for the moment.

That would give you 600k inducements.

420k can be spent on Ripper + 3 bribes leaving 180K left over, you could use this to buy a loner fanatic if you really wanted to, even one with a skill like MB or Grab!

Of course buying a loner for the game has its risks due to loner and rerolls. I guess it really depends on if you would rather take a short term risk for this game. Or a long turn risk by rebuying both the looney and the fanatic.

Something definitely to consider I would say.

Edit: You could obviously do the above but the other way round, getting a loney looney for the game but rebuying fanatic. Tho loner on a 1/6 roll vs loner on a 2 or 3 dice block from fanatic I would say a loney fanatic is the safer option for not causing turnovers(Provided you don't make GFI's with your fanatics very often/at all).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    I generally consider my fanatics to be MV5 :D

15. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Well in that case, I would not recommend a loner fanatic, unless you can go a game without making GFI's on him unless absolutely needed.

It is a tough choice to make but you really need to keep some money in the bank.

Still the previous post is what I would likely go with in your situation, I personally do not take GFIs with the fanatic unless I really need to get him somewhere or hit a certain player. The risk of him falling over is too great as it will cause a turnover and KO the fanatic(Or worse), even though goblins need to take risks sometimes I don't like inviting Nuffle to screw me over.

16. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    I'd say buy the looney and loner up with a fanatic and babes.
    (the babes are rather than the skill on the fanatic... they will serve you well.)

i'll see you on MD7 btw. ;)

17. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    I considered rehiring looney, and taking Morg and 3 bribes. I came really close to leaving the weapons, firing the pogo and taking Morg+Ripper with no bribes to save up bank. But, this game is crucial. A win means I’m fighting against the elven cabal for promotion to altdwarf and virtually safe from relegation. A loss means a relegation dogfight. So with that in mind, going balls out seemed justifiable. 110k bank fully invested in rehiring weapons. Ripper, 3 bribes, 2 babes as inducements. We’ll know in about 90 mins how ill-fated the Alliance’s promotion prospects are.

18. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    MD6 J-Dawgs (Human) - Juriel (Human-ish)
    [​IMG]

Alliance finally win a toss and receive with great excitement, but fail at both the anticipated pitch removal and picking up the ball for a couple of turns. Chucky does gets a ko on the catcher T2, and a stun on the thrower T3, but that doesn't really cut it and he bites off more than he can chew the next turn going for the ogre, failing and obv getting promptly cas'd out. Smeagol finally gathers the pigskin and gets it out to the side, but is swiftly surrounded. Big chance to shine for the pogo on T5, as he's notoriously bad at .89s and has to make two to get clear of the dirty humans. He does this and makes the first gfi to get semi-safe, but is still in dodge+double gfi range of a prone lino. So 97% for an-almost guaranteed T6 score. 1 reroll 1. Alliance are forced to scramble to stop a defensive score, with Proto-Goblin doing fine work locking down the ball-carrying human thrower.

Proto-Goblin does his best to save the game, making room for Skekso to BT blitz the BC, but in the most horribly careless mistake of the game selects the wrong square for the final push, making Skekso's BT a 4+ instead of 3+. 2, reroll loner pass, 3. We're normally big fans of mistakes being properly punished, but that's borderline cruel.

We thought we made another big mistake later taking a .89 dodge before moving an open player as the failure left Proto-Goblin exposed, but on reflection its not hard to engineer dice on the fanatic unless both gobs are in the right place, so that was fine. From this point it's a case of trying to take down a blodger from a skill-less half die... unlikely. So Alliance save a reroll and pray for the 1 turner. All good until the throw scatter which comes back to us 3 times. Still a faint chance with Proto-Goblin needing 2 gfis and 3 hits on the ball-holding goblin to push him into range, but he only makes 2/3 and with that Alliance see their promotion prospects wither on the vine and have to start preparing for a relegation fight.

Thanks to Juriel for the game. Kill you next season.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  19. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    A tip for the TTM attempt, you want to have the gobbo you are going to throw on the LoS. use some of your other players to clear the area around this goblin. Then hand off to the goblin and move Morg/ripper/your own troll (These are in order of best to try throws with of course) 1 square into the opposing half then try to throw the goblin with the ball.

This either makes it impossible or highly unlikely (Not sure which) that the goblin throw won't be in range to score.

Otherwise it was reasonably well played and unlucky that you couldn't score in first half.

One other tip however is if you have Ripper you can use his Grab to help force 2 enemy players 1 space apart, doing this when receving and placing the fanatic correctly can allow the fanatic a 2/3 chance to hit an enemy player with his first move rather than 1/3 chance like in your game.

Hope these help.

20. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    The problem with that is that you automatically lose all chance to a PD - as occured. You reduce the odds of the ball landing in range to even have a TTM attempt and if your opponent sets the back defence properly to cover your landing zones the extra square(s) you gain are mostly just landing in TZs.