1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro and Questions...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AnarchyUnlimited, Feb 22, 2010.

1. AnarchyUnlimited

AnarchyUnlimited New Member

Hey, AnarchyUnlimited here. Long time listener, first time caller... umm, yeah.

ANYWAYS! :)

I've been playing Blood Bowl really casually for a few years, but really liked the v5 / v6 revisions and got back into it recently. We've got a little league going with 5 teams, hopefully expanded out to 7 soon, and I have a couple of questions:

The league is set up as a round robin style, with the top 4 teams going to the playoffs. Points are 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 for a loss. In case of a points tie at the end of the round robin, we add total touchdowns scored and casualties caused as a tiebreaker. Seems to be working well so far. Playoffs are semifinal / final format, single knockout.

QUESTION!

In case of a tie game during the playoffs, how do I determine a tiebreaker? Doing two extra halves takes too long, doing a single extra half favors the team who receives, and doing two 4-turn halves favors the speedy teams over the bashy ones. We also thought of using Casualties for a tiebreaker, but that favors the bashy teams over the finesse ones... any ideas?

Completely unrelated, but I'm running a Dark Elf team. I REALLY like the new flavor for the team, but I'm having an issue running up against the two bashy teams in the league (Orcs and Dwarves). Any tips on how to open up the game so that I can run / pass a bit more, or how to shut down the damn cage so that the Dwarves don't just steamroll me in 7 turns like they do every time they receive? I haven't played many serious games until now, is there a common method of opening up the field that I'm just missing?

Thanks a lot!

-AA

EDIT: Sorry, one more quick question! What are your opinions on a TV1100 league. We only have 8 games in the round robin, and the extra 100k would really help out the more expensive teams (like our poor Wood Elf player!)... or does this just allow the Orcs to buy 6 rerolls and unbalance the game?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Thanks for signing up and good luck in your league!

A TV1100 league shouldn't be a problem, it just shifts the balances of the rosters initially a little bit.

For your tie breakers I would use TD difference rather than scored and then the cas difference. TDs scored favours the agile teams more and then cas inflicted the bashing teams.

In the playoffs you can do all manner of things, the cas from that match, the TD diff overall, roll a dice (there are a few different dice rolling playoff penalty shoot out systems you could use). Whatever you use you are best overall deciding before you need to get to it though to save arguments. If someone is unhappy with it then you can look to change it for the next season.

To help against Orcs and Dwarfs your best weapon would be the kick skill, read up my article on it if you haven't yet.

3. jamesprobert

jamesprobert Member

For a tie breaker, I'd probably say 1 8 turn half, with a randomly determined kicker, because, lets be honest, most teams can score on the defence and although it seems to favour agile teams, a bashy team has had 16-20 turns to get them down on numbers, which is then their advantage in OT, so it should be fairly even.

Other than that, make sure everyone knows the tiebreaker rules so that there are no complaints.

4. Marlow

Marlow Member

We just went with the Penalty Shoot-out on Page 15 -
    If neither team scores, then the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out; each coach rolls a D6, high score wins, re-roll ties! Each unused team re-roll adds 1 to the D6 score.

Nothing wrong with giving Teams an extra 100k, the other option is to increase winnings by 10k or 20k each game or giving maximum winnings for the first three games to give teams a cash boost if you are worried about some teams just buying extra re-rolls at the start. Alternatively limit all teams (except Goblins, Ogres and Halflings) to only starting with three Re-rolls.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. AnarchyUnlimited

AnarchyUnlimited New Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

Coach> I've got the Kick skill (as per your article) and it does help a lot, it just seems that the bashy teams can shut down the game and turn it into a real slog pretty much whenever they want. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, like luring the play to one side of the pitch, handing off and moving it to the far side, then passing up and heading for the endzone, but the other teams are getting wise to stuff like this. I was just wondering if there were some standard things that passing and running agility teams can do, just as there are standard things the bashy teams can do (such as the 2-1 grind and the cage).

6. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    You can grind the clock down for a 2-1 play like the bashing teams.

Switching play from side to side like you say you have been doing works a treat. Bashing teams do this as well to keep the cage moving, just faster more agile teams can move around and risk handing the ball off with lower risk.

Is Kick not helping you prevent them getting the ball in the cage in the first place. If you stop that then they can really struggle trying to recover.

7. Ancre

Ancre Member

Aye, with kick you can kick very deep to slow them down to the point of running out of time to score, or you can kick very close to you to have the ball within immediate reach. I do that sometimes with my elves, depending on the bashy team (the slower they are, the better it is), and it usually means I can get the ball I just kicked with a little bit of work.