1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skaven Is it worth restarting this team?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by lawastooshort, Nov 16, 2014.

1. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

So in their first and only season in our private league, my Skaven finished joint-first and also in quite bad shape. I've now been playing Underworld for 2 seasons.

I'm considering switching back to Skaven for the next season, but I'm not sure if I should just start again, or restart the below. I wondered if anyone has an opinion (and would greatly appreciate it if anyone does) - the gutter runners all have at least a level, but the rest are not doing well. Also, I forgot to name any of them.

[​IMG]

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Well its down to the names. Not naming them is definitely an over sight. Development wise they're fine, str 3 gutter is really nice tackle on SV is OK (mb next) run with loners to build up your bank then buybup to 13-14 in one go.

3. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    I have no clue about anything, but rat elves strike me as a team where you'd end up playing tons of journeyrats pretty soon anyway. Might as well be playing with skilled positionals while you're at it.

4. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Thanks both. The gutter runners are a good start, but I think this will be a heart over mind decision, and the missed naming is what’s going to decide (it was my first team, and I… just didn’t know).

I could also then spend a season on trying to develop the non-gutter runners a bit.

5. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    You will notice the difference between developed gutters and rookie gutters if you reroll. Develop your other positionals as what you want is a good killer stormvermin. Don't worry about your linerats too much although kick is good to get.

6. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Personally, and its because the fluff and feel of my team is the most important aspect for me, I would reroll, if only because having skilled positionals with really bland names doesn't appeal. Considering that I've deleted practically all my teams at one point or another on BBTactics, it's not surprising I'm arguing for fluff. :D

As it is, don't feel forced into keeping the team if you aren't particularly attached to it. Yes, there is a very nice Gutter Runner in the mix, and to roll back to a quartet of rookie ones would be a difficult transaction IF you were using them regularly, but as you say you've been using Uwd for a couple of seasons now - so you haven't been using GRs at all.

The big pros and cons for rerolling are as follows:
    + Naming and fitting fluff will be much easier to accomplish - if that's the direction you enjoy and want to go for, then this is a big point
    + Rookie squad means having somewhat more control of long-term development - at the moment you are restricted in how to proceed by needing to purchase a second Blitzer and realistically you don't want to rely on Loners to make up numbers for the majority of your next season
    + No falling into bad habits of over-reliance on player X who is easily killable - namely that STR3 Block GR

- All rookies will hurt development in the short term - no skills whatsoever will somewhat hurt your abilities from the off, though the long-term benefits are more important in my mind
    - Less chance to win the season - without any development you ought to focus on that as opposed to trying to win the season by sacrificing players. This does however hurt your chances to actually win the season.

My other thought is that you could choose something different, ie neither Skaven or Underworld, for your next season, and see whether or not that suits you. You can always go back to playing your old Skaven/ Underworld if you wish, but perhaps you'd find it easier using something like Humies, Amazons or some sort of Elf.

I know that I'd most likely suit HElven/ PRElven teams due to my focal point of finesse passing, so don't be afraid to try new things. I've tried bash in the last Crunch Cup, and effectively subverted my own goals by turning my Orc team into some sort of Elf team. :D But it proved to me that I'm not a huge fan of bash for the sake of bash, so I achieved the goal I set myself.

So yeah, to summarise:
    1. Don't be afraid to reroll even if it means losing out on a couple of good players
    2. Both rerolling and sticking with your current Skaven have upshots and downsides
    3. Trying something new to see whether or not you are more suited to that particular playstyle is no bad thing
    4. If things don't work out, you can always go back to your current Uwd or this particular Skaven team next season

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Long term all your players will be replaced anyway, so no worries about the player names. Invent fluff for them. :D

8. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    I promise to smack all your generically named players into the ground so hard that they forget their names if that helps :)

9. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    RIght now I think the team is ok, you can play with 3 loner line rats, it is not like they will be doing much anyway apart from getting in the way.

THe problem will be if you get any more injuries to your positional players, then it will start to suck badly.

If you are facing mostly rookie or near rookie teams then I would carry on at least for 1 season, and hope for some light cas.