Chaos Just started and need advice on next move

denthegod

Rookie
Country Flag
I just started playing the game and decided to go with a Chaos team. I didn’t know where to start with so I decided to play the first tournament (the three match one) a couple of times against the AI to learn the game a little.

I made it to the finals the first time and lost and I just won the tournament on my second play through. The problem now is two of my players are injured. The Minotaur has a broken collarbone and one of the Beastman has a broken neck.

I know the Beastman is gonna be permanently injured and there’s no recovering from it. But what about the Minotaur? Will he recover or is he permanently injured, too?

Right now I have two re-rolls and about 180k. My next move if I didn’t have the injuries was to invest in another re-roll and get an apothecary but now the landscape has changed I was wondering what you guys would do? I was thinking just getting two Beastmen so I have a full roster for the next game and get an apothecary to avoid any more injuries. I don’t know what to do and I just wanted to see what you guys think. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know I’m only 6 games in but I do not want to start over. I really want to go further in this game with what I have and try to deal with these situations and learn from them rather than run away from it. Please help me and give me some advice so I can understand exactly what my situation is and what my best options are. Thank you so much.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
Hi there. Welcome to BB Tactics. Broken Collarbone is -1 Strength I believe so that's a sacking. Beastman broken neck is -1 Agi. You could hang on to him for now.

If you want to have a mino fire and replace. Keep the beastman for Line of Scrimmage duty and replace when you have the cash.

The AI in this game is pretty awful so I would seriously recommend using it only to learn the basic mechanics of the game. Once you have done that play online vs real people. You will probably lose at first, but honestly it's the only real way to learn this great (albeit frustrating!) game.

Chaos are a great team but hard to start with by the way. Having no skills means every block you make is likely to be a 1 in 9 chance of failure. Best of luck!

denthegod

Rookie
Country Flag
Hi there. Welcome to BB Tactics. Broken Collarbone is -1 Strength I believe so that's a sacking. Beastman broken neck is -1 Agi. You could hang on to him for now.

If you want to have a mino fire and replace. Keep the beastman for Line of Scrimmage duty and replace when you have the cash.

The AI in this game is pretty awful so I would seriously recommend using it only to learn the basic mechanics of the game. Once you have done that play online vs real people. You will probably lose at first, but honestly it's the only real way to learn this great (albeit frustrating!) game.

Chaos are a great team but hard to start with by the way. Having no skills means every block you make is likely to be a 1 in 9 chance of failure. Best of luck!
Hey thank you for replying so quickly. I just want to be clear for myself: Based on your reply to me the two injuries I mentioned are permanent injuries meaning neither will ever heal fully and therefore their stats are permanently decreased, right?

As I mentioned before I have 180k in budget right now so I'm thinking two new Beastmen and an apothecary now and hold the injured guys in case I need to replace guys on the field in mid game from knockouts and injuries. What do you think?

And you're right, the AI does make some weird decisions but here's the thing. I bought this game when it was on discount not even knowing it was a turn based strategy game. The last strategy game I played was Romance of the Three Kingdoms back on the original NES of all things. I'm horrible at them and anyone that plays me now is pretty much getting a free win. I definitely have a lot to learn before jumping online. Hell, I have no passing game and am just starting an Elven Union team now to learn the mechanics of passing (if you have any suggestions on this I'd love to hear them, too). I'm just here to ask as many questions as I can and learn as much as I can to get as much enjoyment out of this game as I can. Whether I will ever be good enough to win a game online is up in the air for the foreseeable future.

Coincidentally, I read that this was originally a board game so I went to my local board game shop and asked about it and they tell me there's a couple of guys that come in on Saturdays to play it every week so I will be checking that out this weekend to see if I can pick their brain a little and learn something new.

Thank you for your help and please if there's anything you can suggest in terms of teams or team composition or even game plans I would love to hear them.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Welcome to blood bowl.
As Ravers said you should sack the ST4 mino but you can keep the beastman as the -AG just means he doesn't want to be picking up the ball or dodging but you have lots of other players to do that.
The 1st few games can be tricky as there is a lot to learn but the AI makes a lot of mistakes as well so don't just copy what it does.
I would just play against the AI until you know what the basic skills do and then try playing against real people. That way you don't pick up any bad habits.

The skills you should be looking at are
Block , Wrestle , Tackle , Dodge ( you will need a double for this as chaos ) - Skills to knock players down and stay on your feet when they hit you. Most of your players want Block for their 1st skill.
Guard - Lending assists while in tackle zones make this arguably the most important skill in the game
Mighty Blow , Claw , Piling On - Cause more damage
Sure hands , Extra arms , 2 heads - Make picking up the ball and dodging easier

The other skills are more situational so I wouldn't bother with any of them until you know the basics.

The rules for injuries are fairly simple.
When ever a player is knocked down you roll 2 dice and need to roll more than their armour ( MB , Claw and PO effect this ).
If you do this you roll 2 dice again. MB adds 1 to this if it wasn't used for breaking armour and PO can reroll it.
2-7 = stunned
8-9 = KO'd
10-12 = injured

If you get injured you roll 2 dice again. This time a D6 and a D8. The D6 is the important one.
1-3 = Badly Hurt so you are back for the next match
4 = Miss Next Game
5 = Some sort of permanent injury
6 = Dead

Which permanent injury depends on the D8 and can be a niggle , -AV , -MA , -AG or -ST.
Hovering over the injury icon on the player tells you which injury it is.

Coach has written some great strategy guides. If you go to the home page instead of the forum you should find them.

Ravers

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Ravers
Country Flag
Hey thank you for replying so quickly. I just want to be clear for myself: Based on your reply to me the two injuries I mentioned are permanent injuries meaning neither will ever heal fully and therefore their stats are permanently decreased, right?

As I mentioned before I have 180k in budget right now so I'm thinking two new Beastmen and an apothecary now and hold the injured guys in case I need to replace guys on the field in mid game from knockouts and injuries. What do you think?

And you're right, the AI does make some weird decisions but here's the thing. I bought this game when it was on discount not even knowing it was a turn based strategy game. The last strategy game I played was Romance of the Three Kingdoms back on the original NES of all things. I'm horrible at them and anyone that plays me now is pretty much getting a free win. I definitely have a lot to learn before jumping online. Hell, I have no passing game and am just starting an Elven Union team now to learn the mechanics of passing (if you have any suggestions on this I'd love to hear them, too). I'm just here to ask as many questions as I can and learn as much as I can to get as much enjoyment out of this game as I can. Whether I will ever be good enough to win a game online is up in the air for the foreseeable future.

Coincidentally, I read that this was originally a board game so I went to my local board game shop and asked about it and they tell me there's a couple of guys that come in on Saturdays to play it every week so I will be checking that out this weekend to see if I can pick their brain a little and learn something new.

Thank you for your help and please if there's anything you can suggest in terms of teams or team composition or even game plans I would love to hear them.

Yeah those are both permanent injuries. They will be MNG (miss next game) but will stay on your roster, and once the MNG has passed will add to your TV (team value). Part of managing your team is controlling the TV, if it gets a lot higher than your opponent then they get to spend their deficit TV on various stuff, the AI probably won't do this wisely but a canny real life player will:eek:.

Mechanics of passing are basically you make a roll to pass. The higher your Agility the easier it is, the longer the pass the more difficult. So an Agility 4 elf will typically make a short pass on a 2 plus D6, whereas a (for example) Agi 2 Khemri Throw Ra needs a 4 plus to do the same. Then you need to roll again for the catch. Generally an AGI 4 catch is a 2 plus, AGI 3 is 3 plus etc. Skills/weather/tackle zones etc can modify the roll.

So to pass you need to make 2 dice rolls. Blood Bowl is a game where everything can fail. Roll a 1 and no matter what your agility etc is, you fail. Roll a 6 and you make your play. So you should see that passing is very risky. You have 2 chances to fail, 1 on the pass, and 1 on the catch. This can be mitigated by the pass and catch skill (each give you an automatic reroll if you fail), but still, risky!

The beauty of the game is that at any time you can roll great dice, and succeed in your plans. The downside is, at any time you can fail. The dice can screw you. Quality Blood Bowl coaches try and minimise the risks most of the time, but now and again will see an opportunity, will chance their arm and roll the dice when the payoff is worth it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. If you understand probabilities you have a good chance of success. It also helps to accept when it does not go your way, which happens annoyingly often:p.

re teams and team compositions, as Tys said, https://bbtactics.com/strategy/races/ and https://bbtactics.com/strategy/players/ should cover the basics. They are quite old so not all skills are there.

Lastly, you can quite happily ignore all the above and just have fun playing. If you are against the AI then once you get the basics down you should be able to win most of the time. When I started playing with BB1 I must have played hundreds of game vs the AI, had a great time. Now I could play the AI with any race and win (barring insane dice:rolleyes:), not because I am great, but the AI is that bad! Playing against real people is a lot more challenging, but ultimately a lot more rewarding too;). Ask the table top guys to teach you, learn all you can, then crush them:p.

Last edited: