1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kermit!!! I'm your number one Slann!!!

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by chef, Nov 28, 2010.

1. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    So I've decided to abandon my adored flings and give Slann a try, since I hear they play alot like flings to begin with.

Starting roster:

2 Blitzers
    2 Catchers
    7 Linefrogs
    3 Re-rolls
    Apothecary

This equals up to an awesome 1mil.

My priorities are lots of wrestle fend line men, wrackling blitzers, and some dodging catchers.

I feel like kick is gonna go a long way with this team too. So i'll probably put that on my first linefrog to level up.

Biggest question is to Krox or not to krox. Considering I want all four blitzers for screening purposes, I'm pretty sure I need to keep the krox at home to keep my TV manageable.

Other biggest question has to do with blitzers as well. They can be very easily built as screeners instead of blitzers, but I'm looking at GAS access and its tempting me to try some block mighty blow pile on too, but I'm not set on it. Thats one less screen. Maybe give one block tackle mighty blow pile on? Thats a lot of SPPs though and I'd rather my screeners get wrestle.

Anyways, that's all I got currently. I will try to load a match report as soon as i get a game in.

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Take guard on your blitzers and then use a linefrog or catcher to do the blitzing. They have the same potential to hit in the start, but with guard support it should be gage down in no time.

3. happygrue

happygrue New Member

Country Flag:
    I really, really love the Slann. I have started a few teams online, and have one that is doing pretty well in my local table top league. I would argue NOT to put wrestle on blitzers - I did on one and I really regret it. You can get wrestle, strip ball, and tackle on linefrogs, and with leap they are just as good at getting the ball as the blitzers.

What you may realize after you play them a bit (at least I did) is that you NEED SO MANY SKILLS that all the grand plans go right out the window as you scramble to win games. Those blitzers are so amazing (even without skills) on defense, that skills to maximize their abilities are the key IMHO. You want them on your feet, so block is better than wrestle. It also helps them skill up faster. Add dodge and side step and you will cause your opponents to curse you every turn!

But you also need to put guard on them. And some MB or Frenzy, or tackle or... you get the idea. I agree the piling on with MB is great fun, but maybe not until you have at least one blodging sidestepper.

The other thing that I have learned the hard way is to NOT leap very much. The threat of leaping is great, but even with a reroll you still go down 1/9 of the time with the blitzers and linefrogs. Keeping those leaps for really important plays (or not at all) is crucial. A good couch is going to FORCE you to leap to make plays occasionally, but I find that my worst games are the games where I invent great plays that involve "just one simple leap" and then it all goes down in flames. In contrast, my best games are the ones where moving the ball carefully and watch my opponent wonder when I'm going to leap.

In any case, good luck and enjoy the frogs!

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Not played Slann to a highly developed level yet but happygrue's suggestions sound about right.

5. Gerard

Gerard New Member

Country Flag:
    Kick is nice, but you need a spread of wrestle on the Linefrogs first just to get some reliable hitters. You need Guard too otherwise you're going to get seriously bashed. Whether you take it as doubles on Linefrogs and Catchers or on the Blitzers and Krox your really, really, need it.

6. happygrue

happygrue New Member

Country Flag:
    I forgot to mention kick: it really is great. having a player with leap and diving catch means that almost any blitz you roll can result in you getting a free catch attempt on the ball - sometimes even already inside a cage, depending on how well or poorly your opponent has setup.

If you kick it shallow, at the very least, you can make things miserable for most teams (not elves so much) by kicking it shallow on the sideline and forcing them to try to cage in a place they really don't want to, perhaps with too few players. That means they either try to move it (great for you, with a chance of them dropping it in reach), cage without an ideal structure (also great) or if you get lucky and they just fail the pickup (this happens with some regularity against a bashing team that just doesn't have a good player to pick it up with near enough to try the pickup). And if they put their ball carrier(s) shallow then you can kick it deep! Try sending 2-3 catchers/blitzers deep for the ball in a hurry and tying up the rest of his players as best you can with the rest... and watch your opponent squirm!

Slann really shine on defense. on offence you are going to be slower than the fast teams and weaker than the bashing teams - you just try to stay to move the ball and not get too beaten up in the process. But you can get SO MANY turnovers with the right combination of diving tackle and careful play.

Another fun idea: A catcher with wrestle, dodge and strip ball (followed by dauntless). If you are lucky enough to get doubles on a catcher, take guard (forget about passing skills, you don't need them!). A wrestle/strip ball catcher will strike fear into just about anyone. Even if they have sure hands, you can play great defense with your blitzers, and if you get it away from their primary ball carriers and force them to pick it up without sure hands then you are all set.

The biggest challenge in my experience is that you always seem to be underdeveloped against any comparable TV team. That lack of basic skills and reasonably expensive players means that while you are getting block and dodge the other teams are getting guard and tackle. And while you are getting guard and tackle, they are getting all sorts of other fun things. You feel out-gunned every match - but somehow you get that turnover and squeak out the win. They are so much fun to play!

I've been meaning to write a bit more extensively about my slann experience since there isn't as much info about them floating around. Of course, there are different schools of thought on development, and I wouldn't pretend to know "the right way" to play them, but surely I have discovered some mistakes to be avoided by any Slann player. ;)

One final thought: Both of my developed Slann teams picked up a Kroxigor eventually, and I regret them deeply. My style of play with the Slann is to avoid die rolls at all costs, and having a krox is fine against some teams - if you can park him next to two players that arn't going to dodge away and can't really hit him, then you have an instant numbers advantage. If not, then you have a lot of TV tied up in a guy who you wish was a blitzer most of the time. Of course, if you go a more bashy route with your blitzers then you need the Krox to make that style of play work. Enjoy experimenting with that. I'm about ready to fire my kroxes, but I keep giving them "one more game"...

7. Khail

Khail New Member

Country Flag:
    It seems to me that the skills have to plateau at some point re: comparable TVs. Slann start with their vanity skills first (diving tackle, diving catch, jump up), which means at the point where another team is finishing up their vanity skills, you should be caught up on your "basics" ie block/dodge/guard/etc.

It seems like (I've got all of 3 games in with Slann, so take this with a grain of salt) at high TV you should be on relatively equal footing to other teams of similar TV. Getting there in good shape is the hard part.

At low TV every game is an adventure... but at least it's a fun adventure.

8. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    I never planned as using the blitzers as blitzers. I want to level them up as screeners. They don't blitz or even mark people. They just stand there and make it hard for people to get to my ball carrier. The idea behind wrestle WAS to keep my self from leaping too much. If they get blitzers take wrestle, it people decide to blitz them instead of dodging through, they might end up on the floor and able to run through instead of jumping over.

9. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    My first game went really well. Played against a Nurgle team and won 2-1. My catchers were the scorers of this game, mostly because the game was played in the rain for most of the match and I needed to pick up the ball.

My first TD was scored when my opponent decided that putting a cge around my ball carrier would keep me from scoring while he used his blitz to knock down a blitzer that had been getting on his nerves. Big mistake when two 2+ rolls got me into the endzone.

After that, he scored by knocking down everything and walking it down to the endzone.

I got the ball away from him during his second posession with a leaping blitzer into his cage. My catcher picked up the ball and scored.

All together, I thoroughly impressed with Slann. I feel like they're playing to much like a elf team or something though and I'm really excited to get my other blitzers to get some good screening plays started.

My scoring catcher leveled up and I gave him kick off return.