1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Language filter - change request

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Mico Selva, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Is there a possibility to change the forums language filtre so it does not automatically replace "d orf" (without space) with "Dwarf"?

I don't really see the point of its existence, as it is very easy to circumvent (with "d0rf" for example) and does not allow to write words such as "Altdorf" - which already affects Crunch Cup Courier articles.

I don't know the reasoning behind putting the filtre there in the first place, but if there's some deeply rooted hatred for the word itself, and the filtre has to stay, maybe there is a way to exclude composite words containing it (such as the aforementioned city name) from being affected too?

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Don't use that city. Or call it "Old Town" which would be the translation anyway, or perhaps Altdorrf

Already answered this elsewhere, it makes the search results less useful if people can't search for "dwarf" and get the dwarf articles.

I tried to make an exception but that doesn't appear to be possible. If people start using d0rf I'll have to set up a filter for that as well...

3. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    From a programming perspective it would be way easier to make a search on 'Dwarf' include the term 'Dwarf' than the other way around, but I guess you might not have access to the search code?

Edit: The second 'Dwarf' is supposed to be... well, ya know.

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Perhaps, but I don't want to go messing around with the code functionality, while the replace feature is built into the software.

5. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I can respect that decision.

6. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Coach
    I don't really understand, why You can't just trust that the users here won't use the word extensively.
    It seems a bit weird that You assume profanities such as "fuck" will not be abused (so they are not filtered), but every occurence of "d orf" is automatically changed, as if You expected people to use it at every opportunity, and not just occasionally, as a joke.