1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide Learning To Elf

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Breidr, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    So I'm thinking of creating a finesse team this season on the champion ladder, actually, probably several. I wanted to get some experience in something other than bashing, but every time I try to play one in a scheduled league, it ends in a disaster. Both my Skaven and Pro Elves became raging garbage fires by the end of their first season.

I did really good with Humans for two seasons, but Brets did horrible in their first season, and the team didn't really get destroyed. I guess I just couldn't coach them very well.

A lot of people recommended I try Dark Elves because they can start with 4 Blitzers and have AV 8, but the Witch Elves worry me. I'm not sure I could utilize them to their full potential.

High Elves seem to be straight forward, but only get 2 Blitzers and have AV 7 catchers.

I could just try to stick to Humans, but I hear they tend to fall off because Stats > Skills. They get all the free reroll skills, but AG 3 seems to stop them from becoming great.

I've heard some coaches say that Dark Elves preform consistently, just like Humans "should" have. I really like Humans as a team, but Dark Elves just seem "better" on paper.

Any suggestions on what I could possibly try now that season III has started. I do not mind rerolling if something doesn't work, and am more than happy to play many teams and races. Practice makes perfect.

2. Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch New Member

Country Flag:
    What did "raging garbage fires" mean exactly? They got killed?

DE have better players, but they are also more expensive. So if you can keep them alive, then they are better, but if not, well... :p

3. Breidr

Breidr Member

Cyanide Username:
    Breidr
    Country Flag:
    Pretty much. I don't really blame the teams though. I understand that agility teams are more fragile. I believe it was my ineptitude as a coach that may have led to that a little.

AV 7 and me have a sad history. It all started with Norse, my favorite team aesthetically, but they don't work out. It was recommended I try Pro Elves as a first elf team because they can start with "everything." I gave Skaven a go when BB2 launched and found myself short of rats and unable to fully utilize my Gutter Runners.

4. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Dark Elves work best as a Hybrid team that can dodge in my opinion. They don't have the speed for a full dash team so they not be the full 'Elf experience' you want. However they could well be a way to get your head round Elf play.

One thing I would say is that most successful AV7 Elf teams I've seen play down in numbers. Not necessarily through choice. So MM might suit Elves better as you get to rebuild against less experienced teams.

I am having similar problems with Elves but every time I try them it just feels like cheating.

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I would start with wood elves. They are the best out of the box due to the wardancers and you have the tree to stick on the line and tie up players.
    While the 0 reroll starting roster is great if you know what you are doing I would recommend starting without the tree so you can get 1 or 2 rerolls.

Pro elves die the quickest , dark elves are more of a running team and high elves take a while to get going.

6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    Dark elves are probably slightly more similar to humans though in that their play will flex depending on the opposition.

You will bash/running bash some teams whilst playing more pure elf non contact maneuvring game against bashers.

3 blitzer 1 witch start is best imho as frenzy is great for sideline play and for surfing against weaker opponents in the ladder (e.g. all the chaos and dorf kill stack morons).

7. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    What I like of WE is that they provide you 2 "natural" sackers from the start. Opponents may kill them, but the next game you rebuy and still have 2 of them. All the other elf teams have the problem that you have to build sackers, and when one die (and yes, they will die often) you are left for many games without a real sacker while you rebuild.

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    AV 8 elves don't need a sacker as much, they bog down the cage with blodgestep + av 8 and can really stop the offense in its tracks. Takes HE a long time to get there though as I'm discovering.

9. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I am biased but woodelves are the best elf team. They work great out of the box and only get better with skills and stat boosts. Yes they die but that doesnt matter. Even a journey elf is a credible scoring threat.

They also get the tree which takes hits on the line, saving elves, and is a massive roadblock, narrowing the field and making defence easier.

Darkelves are not as competative out of the box but the tv rockets quickly as they get good. That is unfortunate in MM as that lines you up with all of the high tv chaos and nurgle who are darkelf bogey teams. No player has a role so you have to shape them and you may find their lack of str4 or guard players stops you playing the bashing game as much as youd like. Humans having 5 str access players is massive for their style.

Interestingly darkelves are the woodelf bogey team.

notafunhater and Reading Rambo like this.
  10. Reading Rambo

Reading Rambo New Member

Steam Username:
    Reading Rambo
    Country Flag:
    I would also advise wood elves. They are just so fast. They can easily outflank and sack ball runners. Just don't leave them in tackle zones. Block your elves free, and then dodge the remaining away if you can't get a two die block

11. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Agreed. Although guard on any dark elf player is great, and once they get a few of them their mobility makes them really good at hitting.

12. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I've seen several successful Dark elf teams that skip the Witch Elves, so that is doable. Lowers your TV and increases your average AV. Does mean fewer surfings though, but many of those coaches will then pick frenzy on a blitzer (go figure ;))

13. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    It can be done but witches add some much needed mobility to what is otherwise an average speed team. They quickly blodge and with only 2 of them they do not often have to be at the front of a screen.

Witches are a great piece. Id take one over a lineman any day of the week.

notafunhater likes this.
  14. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I always pick two witches, and I've seen many successful teams do that too. I've just seen a bigger fraction of the "no-witch" teams do well. (I.e. both of them ;))

15. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Witches are just so good, I can see the reasoning for playing without them, but if you're going to do that you might as well play High Elves. I prefer the 3 Blitzer/1 Witch start. If you're lucky you can get a couple scores on the Witch in your first game and blodge her up. I would play with 3 witches if I could (yay for Roxana in BB2!).

coachman and DireSickFish like this.
  16. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Roxanna is amazing but it is rare darkelves will use her with their sky high TV.

Watch for Amazons though. Roxy adds a huge benecit to their play style. She is in most amazon table top tournament teams and is a real handful.

I usually try to foul her off quick.