1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elf [LinCon] Thinking of first Tournament

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by SorroW, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Hey hey!

I am starting to feel that I really should go to a tournament, and play some RL bloodbowl. And since LinCon is really close by, I am starting to realise that I really should go there and get the snot beaten out of my elfs.

And I have no idea how to think with the team and skills.

First the tourneys rules:

1 200 000 gc to buy players, re-rolls, support staff and inducements. Any inducement except Wizard allowed, including cards.

Then the team gets to place skills on players according to these rules:
    -Two players get Three skills each.
    -Three players get Two skills each.
    -Four players get One skill each.

-Total of 2 Doubles, +MA or +AV. These two must be placed on different TYPES of players (Two mummies can't both get block for instance).

- The rest of the skills must be normal skills.

So Starting Roster @ 1200 TV:
    2 Blitzers @ 110kgc
    4 Catchers @ 100kgc
    1 Thrower @ 70kgc
    4 Lineelfs @ 60kgc

Add 4 Rerolls (Yes I know many think 4 is too many, but I kind of need them) and an Apothecary.

Or should I aim for more players? And what about skills. For me it looks like there will be loads of highly skilled players. I mean, 2 Blitzers with Dodge, Tackle, one with StripBall, and the other with Guard. Perhaps?
    Catchers with Dodge, one block, one with DumpOff
    Thrower with Accurate and (Safe Throw? KickOffReturn? Block? Surehands?)
    And 1 lino with Kick. And one with Wrestle.

Or I am thinking about this the wrong way? What is good in this kind of setting?!

Please help a noob out.

And give a shout if anyone of you are going to Linköping! :)

/SorroW

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Catcher with Wrestle Dodge Stripball
    Catcher with Wrestle Dodge Tackle
    Catcher with Block Dodge
    Catcher with Dodge

Blitzer with Dodge and Guard
    Blitzer with Dodge

Thrower with Accurate and Strong Arm

Line-elf with Kick
    Line-elf with Dirty Player (Or wrestle, or dodge)

Is one suggestion..

3. Grumbledook

Grumbledook Member

Country Flag:
    wow that's a lot of skills for a tournament, not seen many comparable, hardly any let you give more than one skill per player but it is becoming more common

so my initial thoughts:
    11 players is a massive risk at TV1100 at TV1200 I think it is suicide
    with so many skills rerolls become less important
    passing skills are a low priority most of the time in tournaments

Catcher with Block Dodge
    Catcher with Dodge and Guard

Blitzer with Dodge

Thrower with Leader

Line-elf with Kick
    Line-elf with Dodge

with so much dodge and also Leader, you could swap 2 rerolls for an extra linemen and 40k left over so 2FF 1 coach 1 cheerleader

few variations you could do instead, use that 100k for a wondering apothecary
    2x babes

drop the guard from the catcher, put diving tackle on the other blitzer, drop the thrower for a lino and use the other double for leader, this turns that 40k left over into 50k to get a babe (I think the second guard is prob best tho)

so you get 12 players an apoth and with leader you still have 3 rerolls but 7 of your players with dodge that should be more than enough

you could really push it and drop yet another reoll, that will get you 2 reserve linos and leave 30k over for 1ff 1 cheer 1 coach, so hopefully you win more on the kick off table, or at least certainly will contest them

4. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    My god, I was hoping I could stay away from LinCon due to presenting my thesis etc. about the same time as it, but with Magic and Blood Bowl tournaments, I don't think I can.

On-topic, I agree with Dreamy's choice of skills etc., but I'd like to add that you ought to drop a re-roll and get another Lino for a substitute (if I'm correct, you get 1180 with your roster right now?).

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you are dead set on 4 RR (which you shouldn't need) then the below could work.

Catcher with Block Dodge
    Catcher with Dodge

Blitzer with Dodge

Thrower with Accurate and Strong Arm
    Thrower with Leader

Line-elf with Kick
    3 Line Elves

3 RR
    Apothecary

Still fragile, but at least you can put 3 linos on the line. And then once the leader reroll is used you can put that thrower there as well. :p

6. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Interesting noone has gone for the staple of a pro elf team

Blitzer with dodge and diving tackle, they are really really annoying to agi 3 teams, and something of a pain for agi 4 teams (a 4+ to dodge away even with a RR is quite risky)

2x 3 skills (2x catcher)
    3x 2 skills (2x blitzer, catcher)
    4x 1 skill (1 line elf, 2 throwers, 1 catcher)
    doubles, guard on blitzer, guard on catcher

blitzer with dodge and diving tackle
    blitzer with dodge and guard
    (220)
    catcher with wrestle, dodge, strip ball
    catcher with wrestle, dodge, tackle
    catcher with block and dodge
    catcher with guard
    (620)
    thrower with leader
    thrower with accurate
    (760)
    lineelf with kick
    3x Line elf no skills
    (1000)
    3RR
    apo
    (1200)
    That gives you 12 players (which really is the absolute min you need) and 4 RR with leader.

13 players is possible if you convert a thrower and a reroll into two lineelves. I would then take wrestle on a lineelf i.e.

blitzer with dodge and DT
    (220)
    catcher with guard
    (620)
    thrower with leader
    (690)
    lineelf with kick
    lineelf with wrestle
    4x Line elf no skills
    (1050)
    2RR
    apo
    (1200)

With either team you can then play the pro elf way. If he has a normal cage you blitz a cage corner and try to stand your DT blitzer next to the ball carrier. With dodge and SS he can be trick to dislodge, and with diving tackle getting away from him can be tough.

I was thinking about giving him tackle instead of the catcher but I think it is better this way.

You also have 2 ball hunting catchers, if your opponent makes a mistake they can surge in and hit the ball carrier (i.e. if the cage corners are in contact with a player etc). The catcher with only guard is a bit vulnerable, but you need two guard pieces and could not thing of a better place to put it.

The blodge catcher is your outlet receiver. Pro elf offence is very very hard to stop without a few 1s. If your blodge guy is on his feet and within range of the endzone it is still a pretty decent chance to score even with 3 players on the pitch.

7. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks all!

Now to find a friend to harrass into playing a couple of test games against.

BTW, what kind of team would you think would show up in a tourney with these rules? Any specific that you think would be really strong?

And if you have time and would be so kind, how would a orc team look? Since I have a feeling there will be loads of orcs, and I tend to have trouble against them overall. So thought I should try to get my friend play orcs against this team once or twice... :)

/SorroW

8. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking wood elves would be another good team with this sort of thing. They normally do well in resurrection tournaments.

So
    2x3 skills (line elf, wardancer
    3x2 skills (tree, wardancer, thrower
    4x1 skill (3 catchers, line elf)

Tree - Block and grab/guard

wardancer - strip ball, sidestep
    wardancer - tackle, sidestep, diving tackle

2xcatcher - block
    catcher - wrestle

thrower - dodge, accurate

line elf, block, dodge, guard
    line elf kick
    2 x line elf no skills

3RR
    Apo

That is a bare 11 players though, so maybe it should be regigged a bit.

Possibly more of a problem would be the traditional orc killer build

blitzer - tackle, MB, PO
    blitzer - tackle, MB, PO
    blitzer - guard
    blitzer - guard

black orc - block, guard
    black orc - block, guard
    black orc - block, guard
    black orc

thrower - block
    2xline orc
    Troll - block
    Goblin
    3 RR
    Apo
    That only has one double though. Possibly only one killer would be enough and you get a blodger blitzer instead, or one with diving tackle.

Or a dwarf team which has a lot of tackle

blitzer dodge,guard, tackle/MB
    blitzer MB,Guard,tackle
    troll slayer MB,PO
    troll slayer MB
    runner block,dodge
    runner wrestle, tackle
    3xblockers - guard
    3xblockers - no skill
    4 RR
    1 apo

That much tackle would be hard for an agility team to deal with for sure. And two blodgers would give decent mobility for dwarves. I also played an orc team with diving tackle, which was quite irritating as well. Without SS it is easier to negate, but still can be tough.

Lizards would be fun with a krox with block, stand firm, guard, plus proably a block/dodge skink.

Krox block, stand firm, guard
    Saurus wrestle, tackle, break tackle
    Saurus, block, guard
    saurus block, guard
    saurus block, break tackle/guard
    saurus block
    saurus block
    Skink, block
    skink diving tackle (or something)
    3x skink - no skill
    3 RR
    Apo

then again you have the annoying Krox which is str 5 with block and SF and is -1 to dodge away from which you try to stand next to the ball carrier.

The hard balance for the bash teams is do you go with extra guard to deal with the other bash teams or do you get some tackle. It is hard to find a lot of space for tackle (apart from dwarves who get a lot and have a lot of starting skills anyway). Of course most teams should find room for a block, tackle MB, PO dude which is very nasty vs av 8.

9. Grumbledook

Grumbledook Member

Country Flag:
    I did mention diving tackle on a blitzer as an option, I just think all the other skills are higher priority, especially guard

10. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ah sorry missed that, that is what I did, but then I dropped dodge from the catcher rather than guard. For sure you need 2 guard pieces, and that leaves the the catcher with just guard a bit vulnerable for sure.

It could also be done with
    2 blitzers
    4 catchers
    1 thrower
    6 linos
    apo
    2 RR

with leader on the thrower it should be ok, and gives 13 players.
    blitzer with dodge and diving tackle
    catcher with guard
    thrower with leader
    lineelf with kick
    lineelf with wrestle

Would take wrestle rather than dodge there as there is likely to be a lot of block around anyway

11. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    You will probably use Dodge a lot more over the course of a game and it also saves on rerolls. It offers the same odds of protection that Wrestle does vs a Block player anyway but is a bit better vs non Block players as they won't tend to pick :bothdown: results if the can avoid it.

12. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    I was looking at that there was probably a lot of tackle and block around as it is a high skill game, but maybe the tackle pieces are all tied up with the positionals. Wrestle is also very useful when blocking especially if you need to get an opponent who has block to the floor (which is not that uncommon with elves, your opponent makes a mistake, you need to get THAT guy down and you can blitz the ball carrier etc.) and with 5 dodge players already maybe you don't need the extra mobility of a 6th.
    I agree there is not much in it but I would prefer wrestle in this case. With elves you can't dodge away ALL the time, it is important to block back as well to stall the cage sometimes. But sure if you want to take dodge feel free, I would just prefer wrestle.

13. SorroW

SorroW Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks loads! For the tips and help with other teams aswell... Now I have snared a friend and made him promise to take the orc team out for a spin... :)

/SorroW