1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardmen vs. Ogres

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 1' started by Steele, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Steele

Steele Member

Cyanide Username:
    Steele
    Country Flag:
    Hi all

DON'T READ IF YOU'RE THOMAS! ;)

I'm not new to Blood Bowl, but I've never played a Lizardman team against Ogres, and I have a match coming up.
    Both teams are relatively new, so no Break Tackle on my team yet, only 1 Block.
    My current roster is 5 Saurii, 6 Skinks, 4 RR, 1 apo.
    Ogre roster is 6 Ogres and a LOT of snotlings.

I think I will get maybe 150-200K inducements (Cyanide Blitz! rules).

I'm afraid I will get chewed up big time, because I will be outgunned at the LoS, which I am not used to, and the Saurii can't really get away with AG1.

I have maybe 10 matches total with Lizardmen ever, so I could use some pointers :)

Any tips on strategy?

I'm thinking I just need to suck it up, hope AV9 is enough, and get away with the Saurii when the Ogres bonehead or go down, while trying to score and hunt snotlings with the Skinks.

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    As you say, use your skinks and perform skinkrapes on the snotlings. If your saurus with block gets marked by an Ogre then dont be affraid to block it half dice (2 dice against). You will only roll a skull 11/36 times. But dont do it as the first action of course;)

3. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I am not sure we can give any advice if this is the Blitz real time rules? (Or relevant / useful advice anyway)

If there is a blitz mode that isn't real time (Never looked at single play stuff too much), still not sure what gameplay differences this causes.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    It is not turnbased? Then ignore everything as I know nothing about non turn based BBo_O

5. Steele

Steele Member

Cyanide Username:
    Steele
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify:
    No, I'm not playing real-time mode (but Blitz! can be used with real-time).
    Blitz! rules are just an add-on to the Inducements from Classic.
    They're not very well balanced, but there are some of them that are pretty cool, and we got house rules blocking use of the bad ones, like recharging Wizards.

Anyhow, the inducement part is not my primary interest, the tactics question is :)

6. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Well Netsmurfs first suggestion is fine then if it is just those things and is still turn based.

If you get chances for 3 dice blocks against snotlings, take it. Knocked down snotlings are very likely to have armour break, just needs a skink + 1 assist of a saurus with no assits for a 3dice block on a lone snotling.

I also assume the Ogres have no rerolls if they already have 6 ogres? If so then just try to keep some players in a position ready to get the ball or a hit on the ball carrier if the ogres fail something key early on the next turn.

Otherwise, just hope the ogres go stupid a lot.

7. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Keep your Saurus spread so that one Ogre can't mark more than one of them. Accept contact, it keeps the Ogres tied up and allows the rest of the team to hurt snotlings. You want more muscle so a merc Krox or block Saurus if you cant buy one. Play a solid conservative game you will get plenty of opportunities to block Ogres down. You can use skink assists to get 2 die. Mark an Ogre with a skink if it keeps your block Saurus free to blitz Snots. The Ogre team looks scary but if you play a solid conservative game on defense they will find it hard to get through you without rolling alot of dice.

On offense you can afford to spread out and rely on skink hand offs. Keep switching sides and the Ogres will soon be out of position due to their low speed.

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    With Blitz inducements, I'd say you should get a wizard, then AG potions for as many skinks as possible. AG4 skinks dodge on 2+ everywhere, and are better at picking up the ball.

9. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    5 Sauri, no Krox is very little. Get more muscle if at all possible. Maybe drop a RR if this gives you the option to still get a wizard additionally.

Otherwise most is said. Play conservative, wait for bonehead (or mistakes). Use the speed of the skinks. And don't let them gangfoul you, snotlings are mean little buggers.

10. Steele

Steele Member

Cyanide Username:
    Steele
    Country Flag:
    He does have a Dirty Player Snotling who killed 1 and maimed 2 in his last match. Gotta keep my Skinks standing and/or take that one out early.
    Also, a Sure Hands Ogre and a few Break Tacklers are there to create problems for me.

Good news are that 1 Skink + 1 assist is also a 3D block. Just need to roll some :pow:

My team has all of 1 game under it's belt, so I'm thinking that the money loss, long term, from dropping RR wouldn't be worth it.
    I did manage to win that one game 5-0 though, while killing 3 and permanently injuring 2 opponents, but Skaven.... they break so easily compared to Ogres :)

@All: Thanks for all the input. Mostly I've been reinforced in my own thoughts, which is always nice, but there's a few gold nuggets in there that I think I will be able to leverage.
    Also: Crazy reply speed in here!

11. Valcurdra

Valcurdra Active Member

Country Flag:
    Honestly, your gone.

Only nuffle can save you.

You have no reliable way to knock down any of his players.

His ogres are stronger tougher and more agile! And his snotlings are more worthless (actually a good thing).

12. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    No I'm with cj, play conservatively, boneheads and your speed will give you a chance, just keep them spread out.

13. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    3 die blocks on snotlings until its just you and the ogres.

14. Steele

Steele Member

Cyanide Username:
    Steele
    Country Flag:
    For those who care, I managed a 2-1 win with no permanent injuries.
    By far the biggest problem (besides failing rolls at 4 critical junctions, including a triple skull), was when the Ogres and Snotlings just surrounded the ball without picking it up, which left me with a 6+ pick-up, besides 3 stunty dodges.
    Usually, when players surround the ball, you just find the weakest one and blitz/block him into the ball, scattering it. The bloody snotlings made sure I never got the chance at a 2D block on the Ogres when that happened, and the Snotlings have Side Step.
    To be honest, he could have stalled me all day at 0-0 using that tactic.
    I did manage to clear most of the Snotlings out, though only through KOs, so they came back.
    The one TD he scored was a TTM in T8 to 1-1.

I ended up going with 1 Bad Habits, reducing him to 0 RR and 1 extra Apo, which was used.

Thanks for all the input. Will be interesting to see how the return match plays out :)