1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf Local tabletop league

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by dodger, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Hi All, just checking in here on my team development for my first tabletop league.

I'm halfway through the season with 4 wins and 1 loss, leaving me in good standing to make the playoffs. However, my next three matches will likely be tough ones.

My roster so far is:
    4 Blitzers, 3 with dodge skill.
    1 Witch Elf, with block.
    1 Runner, with block and dodge.
    6 line elves, 1 with dodge and 1 with wrestle.

3 rerolls, 1 apothecary. 7 fan factor and no coaches/cheerleaders.

Up next I have Orcs with block on all the black orcs, and with TTM threat in a troll and 2 gobbos.

After that I have Skaven with a break tackle Rat Ogre, a good thrower and 2 blodge Gutter Runners.

Then I have a full strength Lizard team with break tackle Krox, who I played once already and were my 1 loss so far, mainly do to phenomenal early game armor breaking dice on his part.

The high priority skills I see for my next few skillups are probably kick on a line elf, 1 or 2 tackle on just about anyone, and then probably some sidestep, possibly strip ball.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on upcoming skillups?

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Not much response on this, probably because what you have looks very solid. Only thing I'd say is make sure you grab guard on those doubles :)

3. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    I'd say get the second witch as soon as possible. Consider giving her wrestle instead of block.
    Controlling the sidelines is great.

Disclaimer: I'm bad at elves.

4. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Had another game and win, so I'm now at 5 wins 1 loss. I was able to add dodge to my final Blitzer. (Turn 16 winning touchdown with a handoff, pass, catch, GFI to move the ball across nearly the full length of the board.)

However, I have a blitzer and line elf MNG for my upcoming match against Skaven. The line elf lost 1 STR so he'll need replaced. He was however my 12th man. I have 70,000 treasury but since I'm down 2 for next game I'm just taking the merc and running with 11 for the match.

I plan to run with no bench until I can afford the second witch after another game or two, barring the need for more replacements.

5. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Hey all, Looks like I've made the final match with a chance to take the cup. However, my opponents are dwarves and that's going to a tough match up for me.

Here's where I'm at:

4 rerolls
    Apothecary
    Blitzer with Dodge
    2 Blitzers with Dodge + SS
    Blitzer with Dodge + Guard
    Witch Elf with Block, +1 STR, Tackle
    With Elf with Block, Mighty Blow
    Lineelf with Kick
    Lineelf with Block + Dodge
    Lineelf with Wrestle + Guard (gotta take the Guard where it comes, ideal or not)
    Runner with Block + Dodge

2 lineelves MNG
    170k in the bank

So I'm down to one wrestle player and will have a Journeyman. I'm still waiting for word of how much I'll have in inducements. I'll probably want to induce a 12th player of some kind.

I don't have all the info for my opponent's updates from last game but here's what I know:

3 rerolls
    Apothecary
    3 Blockers
    3 Blockers with Guard
    Blocker with Guard, +1 STR
    Blitzer with Guard
    Troll Slayer with Juggernaut
    Troll Slayer
    Runner with +1MA and a skillup pending
    Deathroller

190k in the bank

It's a final so this is an overtime possible game. I haven't played him before bu there's not much variety in Dwarf tactics... I'm told he'll probably induce a bribe for the deathroller even if that means using some petty cash and make a thick cage/blob of dwarves and run them down one side with the ball wall the deathroller + some guards cover the center.

My plan when I receive is to draw him to one side then use my speed to break away and score, without leaving him time to do so as well.

When he receives probably the best I can do is screen to stall and pick at his edges, hoping I can slow him enough to prevent the TD or frustrate him into taking some big risks to try and make it there on time.

My concern is that it will end up a tie with a coin toss for who gets the third drive and whoever wins that toss will win the match...

The only crazy inducement scheme I can come up with would be to take Eldril for the Hypnotic Gaze on a cage corner which gives me a chance to move in a Guard and then blitz the ball carrier... but he's quite expensive and it'd likely still be a 1D blitz or a 2D with my +STR witch elf, followed by a 2D against if she frenzies to a second block...

Any thoughts on possible inducement options or other stratagems I'm missing out on?

6. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    If your going to run in with Eldril you need to be kicking and have the kick skill using it to expose the Dwarf lack of speed early on purely because Eldril will be off the pitch 4-6 turns into the match at best.

Who do you play next? because with the players missing you could get battered in this one so an extra apothecary could be the answer.

Honestly though if you want to win this match up a wizard is the way to go, it will force your opponent to play with a far more loose formation which will give you the chance to jump in. Remember you do not need to score loads or even get the ball lose simply stop them scoring by giving them no way though and not allowing them any free blocks.

7. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    The above game is my next and only game left in the season. And yeah, I almost never take any star players, just for the reason you note above.

Yeah, a lightning bolt at his runner or Fireball into the mob of dwarves could really muss up his plans to score.

8. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Kick if you can.
    This gives him the choice beween a TD in the first half or a deathroller in the second half (if he takes the bribe).