1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Looking for some information

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Minnels, May 21, 2014.

1. Minnels

Minnels Member

Cyanide Username:
    Minnels
    Country Flag:
    I've been playing tabletop for around 4 years I think but I have never played in any real tabletop tournament except our own small ones that we make up. I know that tournaments around the world use other rules than the league rules and I am wondering a bit, what are the "best" and most used ones out there? What are the strengths and weaknesses of them? The reason I am asking this is because I may be able to host one of these tournaments in the future and want to try it out beforehand. Some of the people I am playing with have shown some interest as well in trying it out.

If I am hosting a tournament later this year, how important is it to register it with the NAF? I guess it will attract more people but I am not sure how interesting a non-stats tournament is for the players. I am not aiming for something big here I just want some "outsiders" to come and play :)

Second thing... I know there are these Spiky Cup and Chaos Cup... cups and I am wondering a bit if there are any special rules for those? Have there been? Thinking about how points are scored to see who wins. Maybe Cas are worth more in chaos cup or something... I don't know :) Also have there been any special prices for the winning team in the different cups?

2. Dr Rudolf von Richten

Dr Rudolf von Richten Member

Country Flag:
    Ok, I haven't posted here in ages, but this one I'll answer.

First off, definitely register with the NAF and make your tournament NAF sanctioned. The requirements are very simple, the main ones being that it needs to be open (i.e. available to all comers) and that you need at least 8 players and at least 4 games, but it means players at your tournament will earn(or lose) points for their NAF ranking with their team, which is a big draw for many.

It also means the NAF wil help and advise you to run the tourney. Don't expect anything spectacular from them, but your local (i.e Swedish) tournament director can be of assistance, plus you get a NAF trophy to give to the winner! Also you can put the tourney up on the NAF site, which should certainly help draw people. So get with the NAF!

Second, the typical tournament has the following rules:

1: LRB 6, except for the following exceptions
    2: 1.1 million starting money (instead of the typical 1 million)
    3: No Inducements, except Bribes for Goblins and Masterchef for Halflings, both of which can be bought (i.e. be on the roster structurally) for their normal price.
    4: A resurrection format; no SPP are earned, all players are healed to full health for free at the end of a match. (i.e. your team stays the same throughout the tourney except as under point 6 below).
    5: A swiss pairing format; for the first round, players are paired up randomly, for every subsequent round, players are paired of by number of points they have* with the exception that players never face each other twice in the tourney. This way everyone gets to play all matches (unlike a Knockout format), against increasingly similarly skilled opponents, so as to keep it fun for all.**
    6: A skills package; either all teams get a number of skills to distribute before the tourney (4 normals and one 'double' is a standard, with max one skill per player), or all teams get a certain number of skills at set points during the tourney (for example, teams get one (normal) skill on one player (also max one skill/player for the tourney) after each match, after the third match, this may be a 'double' instead).***

There are tournaments with exceptions to all of these points, but for your first tourney I would stick to the basics.

You also need to think about prizes, venue, cost and possibly accomodation, as well as about having a 'spare player' (often this is a tourney staff member, such as yourself) in case you get an odd number of participants.

The 'named' tournaments in the rulebook (Spike, Chaos Cup etc.) have nothing to do with the actual tournaments run under those names. The Chaos Cup is run in Chicago in the fall, the Spike in Canada (I forgot where exactly) a few weeks later. For all intents and purposes, they are normal tourneys, except that they're quite big (the biggest ones in North America, IFAIK).

*Note: you need to think about these things too: how many points for a win, a draw, a loss, how many points for (net) touchdowns/casualties.
    **Amongst its many other advantages, the NAF has (or has access to) a program (called Javatool, If I'm not mistaken) that does this whole 'pairing' thing automatically; just enter all the teams and your tourney's scoring parameters, and then enter all the results after every round and you get the current ranking and the matchups for next round!
    ***Note: One common option in both systems is to give more or better skill options to lower-tier teams, so that playing, say, Goblins or Vampires becomes more interesting to play.

I hope that this is enough to get you started, so go to the NAF site, register, contact the Swedish Tournament Director and you're off! :)

3. Minnels

Minnels Member

Cyanide Username:
    Minnels
    Country Flag:
    Sweet. Lots of information there.

Sounds like joining the NAF is the way to do this ^^

I didn't know that the different cups are actually played as large tournaments. We have always been pondering about doing one and have some special price or something for the lore part of the game.

Thank you! :)

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Many leagues play them as cups as part of their league play, with local rules for what the awards mean etc.

But there are also huge tournaments with the same names, so if you want to make a tournament those names are taken, but as part of your home league they are of course free if the commissioner so wills.

5. sann0638

sann0638 Member

Cyanide Username:
    sann0638
    Country Flag:
    Hi Minnels,
    the Swedish and Danish NAF tournament scene is quite popular - it's the Danish Open in the next few weeks, consider going to that! Check out thenaf.net for all the info.

Mike

6. Gsson

Gsson Member

Country Flag:
    Google SweBBA, Swedish blood bowl alliance, its a site for alot of the ongoing tt action in Sweden. The SWE NAF representatives also hang there.

7. Minnels

Minnels Member

Cyanide Username:
    Minnels
    Country Flag:
    I wish I could go to a real tournament and atleast look. Sadly the summer is the time when I work the most... so others can be on vacation :)

I'll check out SweBBA. Think I've seen the site when they started it up. Got a couple of facebook groups that I check at times.

You guys are so friendly and helping. Is that a sign that there need to be more tournaments? ;)
    Last year we had a game convention here in town and I were concidering to host a tournament back then but as the information and help from people arranging everything else I said no. I think we are going to have the convention this year too but I am not as involved as last year and I don't even know if I still live here in a couple of months or not so I can't say anything for sure.

Still happy for all information I can get. I really love the game and the best way to play it is in tabletop form, if possible :)

8. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    Reading this is once again stirring some thoughts I have had during the last 2-3 years, that maybe I should possibly try and resurrect a BB tourney (maybe even only for one year) that me and my friends used to play annually for a period of time in our town back in the day (something like 97-98'ish to 01-02'ish). After that... well life happend and the gaming group I was part of had basicly dissolved by the time 2003 came around, which ment that the people around my gaming group also went away. We where never part of NAF or any officla such thing though.

Many of us would also play in BB tournaments on con's in Sweden. Most of them was on Gothcon, but some on Sydcon and Lincon as well, possibly a few other cons. Don't think any of those where "officla" tournaments though. I think we also had one tournemant on the very shortlived "Kriscon" (took place in Kristianstad) that we had in my town (think that con lasted 2 years... and it's name fit as well, "Kris" is Swedish for "Crisis").

I even won one such tournament at Gothcon one year (do not recall which year)... although, I have a feeling I would not have if one (or both) of the two best players from my group had been part of it though. Those two won some several con BB tournaments through out 97 to 01/02'ish. Think one of them won a few years in a row on Gothcon towards the end of the 90's. The same guy usually won our own tournaments.