1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide Looking to join a league or tournament

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Cianybeasty, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    When does the next season start? Would love to sign-up .... again.... Thinking Necro, Skaven or Humans

2. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The divisions have basically been done now although new people come in all the time when there's dropouts. I would apply anyway if I were you, but I think the entries are now finalized for this season.

3. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I have to say that despite this forum seemingly turning into OCC lite, I reckon Sturm von Stahl is the league I'd most like to join. Apart from future CCs of course!

4. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Not sure what I'm going to do right now, was tempted by OCC and a couple of others, but after nearly a year of Nuffle handing me my ass I'm not feeling very motivated to join a league where I can lose some more but in a more humiliatingly public arena.

Felt really positive going in to CCV and I'm already 0-0-2, given my performance in CCIII was 1-0-3 and my stand in matches for CCIV were 0-1-2 I'm getting to the point where I don't think I'm improving and I've lost the enjoyment in playing loss after loss.

After I'm eliminated from CCV in the group stages I might take a break and hang up the dice for a bit...

5. Creamster

Creamster Member

Country Flag:
    Ok found my issue with OCC, they never activated my username on the forum so he been left in limbo. Do I need to register on the forum beforehand?

6. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I don't suppose there's a chance you registered on the old forum?

Orca Cola Championship

That's the link for the current forum. I don't know anyone else who had problems on that score, so this might be the reason.

7. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Don't get depressed, GB. Your bad run has to end sooner or later. And even if it's 'later', try to sit back and enjoy the game for the game alone. Winning is nice, but You should not pressure Yourself to expect victory in every match, as that will only get You frustrated.

My recent record is very similar to Yours. My Goblin team in CC IV did not win any matches (I only got one admined win due to opponent not appearing) and my new Ogre team is probably going to repeat this impressive feat. :D My best team so far is a Khemri one with their 3 wins in 9 matches. Actually, none of my teams has ever won more than 3 times. So what? :D

Your win % in Cyanide is around 46% - that's pretty impressive from my point of view, as I recently struggled to increase mine from 30% (around April) to 40%. What helped me was changing my attitude, relaxing and realizing that I like playing this game, because it's cool, not just because I like seeing my opponents beaten and defeated. Of course, if that happens, it's a nice bonus. ;)

8. Cianybeasty

Cianybeasty Member

Country Flag:
    Don't quit man! You've got SO MUCH to live/play for!

We all have tough periods, so maybe try a new team, organise endless matches against Halflings and Ogres, whatever works for you, but NEVER SAY DIE.

Keep playing my friend, you're lways in with a chance, thats the beauty of blood bowl :)

9. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I didn't win a game last CC season but I toughed it out to the end and I'm now 2-0. In the long term the dice average out. Are ou playing the right team for you? Have you checked the replays?

10. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    To be fair, I try out a lot of teams, after nearly a year and 350 games I'm still not totally sure what suits me best, except to know dwarves and skaven are both cursed for me and that most of my teams will die horribly somewhere between 7-12 matches in to their life.

I keep being determined to improve my agility game, but in all honesty I probably do better on average with bash teams, but it feels like a bit of an easy mode choice.

As for viewing replays, I've kind of given up on it, I know there are a lot of things to pick up in my game play, but there's only so much you can improve when the dice also suck game after game for the most part.

I'd love to improve my high elf offense, but since they can't manage a 2+ throw it seems kind of pointless as I never get the ball up there to learn anything from it.

Whatever happens, a league record of 1-1-7 combined from 3 CC isn't going to set the world on fire, so if I do make it to CCVI expect me to go on a "kill maim burn forget the ball" rampage since I've pretty much given up on scoring touchdowns :D

Chaos and Orcs are the only ones that have held their own after more than a handful of games for me, which will pretty much see me reviled across all of leaguedom :p

11. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I find it interesting as I find woodelves the "easy team". Bash n cage teams seem much harder to use for me. My orcs even won thanks to TD passes...

We all get shit dice, I have missed a few 2+ passes with my elves too but its about trying to position yourself to recover should the worst happen. You will have other games where the dice do miraculous things.

Work your defence and it will help with all of your teams. Its all about the columns baby.

12. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Bum luck GB, but just think of Coachman and his Nurgle team in CCIV. After 11 or so matches they had 2 draws and 9 losses and he still stuck with them to the end. And now he’s living large and kicking butt with his Orcs. Whilst I am personally an anti-Orc person, if you are really struggling I would suggest submitting an Orc team for next CC. They really are a great team off the bat and you should at least do ok with them. Otherwise I would suggest not playing on mm (it makes me depressed too) and instead just play on friendly open leagues like CTA.

13. Cianybeasty

Cianybeasty Member

Country Flag:
    Thats a point, when is the next Crunch Cup. I joined the forum too late for CC5, but I have no idea how to join, or even when the CC is. Care to enlighten me anyone?

14. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The Crunch Cups seem to have evolved to a rolling basis from CCIII as CCIV and CCV have followed with very little break.

CCV is currently in Week 2 of the group stage, there are 5 weeks in the group stage with 4 teams from each of 4 divisions going to play offs, meaning 16 of 24 go through so week 6 will reduce it to 8, week 7 to 4, week 8 to 2 and week 9 the final.

So in about 6/7 weeks time I'd expect CCVI to be on the cards, possibly a little give and take since the structure may be changing to a more divisional format. Keep an eye on the CC forum section to watch out for developments there.

15. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    I guess I am pushing this more offtopic now.

I did use to struggle a lot with elves. I started with woodelves in a different compertition as I so enjoyed smashing the computer with them, and lost horribly. Then I went to the more bashy teams, dwarves, orcs and undead. Even a bit of Khemri, but they are a bit boring. I had lizards for CCIII and really loved them, but got some bad inuries so did not get that far (but further than I expected, and lost ot the eventual winner as I recall).

I would say though that over 350 games the dice MUST have averaged out. One game you can get nuffled, but not 300. The key to the game is to think before every dice roll, how screwed would I be if this fails, and to know the odds. For me especially with orcs it is the old 3+ with a reroll that is the dangerous one. It is about 90% success, which makes it pretty safe. I have lost quite a few games for relying on it though, that is for sure. Need to be more careful with 3+ rolls :D.

Against a weaker opponent you can take the dice out of the equation easily. I have had a few draws while getting nuffled vs weak players. might even have sneaked one, cant remember. Do remember one where I had horrible dice all game, but still had a 3+ to pick the ball up and score. Against an opponent of similar skill then it does come down to luck, but that is ok, it is a dice game after all.

Anyway gallows what I would do is go back to basics and orcs and get some wins. If you want agility I would suggest dark elves. If you want speed lizards. I would also suggest doing what we suggested before and making a lets talk about this replay thread. Even if the dice are horrible there is always stuff you can do better. I learnt A LOT from a string of getting nuffled. It is nothing like expecting a 1 on your next dice to make you think, ok before I risk a turnover is there anything else I need to do?

16. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I see where you are coming from Etheric, and a lot of that I have done before, it just never feels like it works. I'm stuck in a loop and watching replays isn't helping me much any more and I feel like asking for views on my own private MM matches would be unfair on the forums here. Maybe CC is a chance to change that and get some feedback there.

As for the dice, its frustrating that BB Manager can't seem to join a league up and look at dice in total as I've loaded a good 125 of those games up, but I've got to trawl through each one to get the averages out. My gut feel from looking is that I'm slightly unlucky on average and perception makes that worse, but there we go.

Right now I'm trying the approach of "if you can't beat them join them" and gone back to a Chaos team - cliche but probably wise for the MM environment. And for the first time without being an all-beast lineup, so we'll see how those warriors get on for the first time.

I'm hoping to avoid the style of my last Chaos opponant though - my poor Necro team faced no less than 7 sets of claws...

17. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I love Etherics idea. It would be like a book club. We could have one replay a week posted, we all view it then discuss it with a different replay each week. That could really bring everyones game on if done right. Who wants to start?

Gallows?

18. bintz

bintz Active Member

Country Flag:
    Im not sure going back to chaos is the way to go if you feel rather unlucky. With the lack of initial skills on the player, it's one of the more turnover-prone team imo.

Anyways, I think it would be nice to analyze one replay a week or something like that. To keep it fair, maybe that could be replays from past CC?

19. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I 2nd coachmans idea, which was originally Etherics. Lets do it as a once a week thing and all those interested can watch and make comments. We should take turns in submitting a match.

And instead of really watching the match and giving tips, we can instead drink liquor and gossip about our neighbours. Thats what people really do in book clubs, right? :p

20. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    On an unrelated note - I watched the replay of Your match against Vusfnuv's Lizardmen and I think You should try to work on Your positioning. Your startegy against the lizards was good, but execution somewhat lacking. For example, marking two Saurii with one Lineelf is not enough - he will just get pushed away by Saurus #1 and Saurus #2 will then be clear to move.
    I make this kind of mistake often myself, btw. It's far easier to notice it in other people's games than during Your own.
    Also, Your setup when receiving could be improved. Vusfnuv's defensive setup was pretty good, but You still could try punching through the middle or one of the wide flanks. Instead You tried to make Your way through the side-middle, which was the most difficult approach, forcing Your players to dodge a lot.

After watching the above mentioned replay, I'm inclined to disagree. Your dice seemed worse, but actually was quite even with Your opponents. What defeated You was wasting Your re-rolls early in the second half (first one on a dodge into two tackle zones, second one on a failed pick-up, which would have left the ball in a safe place anyway). After that You had to dread every single roll and adjust Your tactics accordingly. Your team only has two re-rolls, so You should probably preserve them for the moments You'll really need them.

On a general note, You might want try blocking a little more with High Elves (You only made 15 block rolls in the whole match, compared to Creamster's 53 :powdodge:), while trying to reduce 1d6 rolls (dodges and GFIs). If two of Your elves are standing next to a Saurus it's much more viable to bring there a third one and block with 2d6 than to dodge these two away. Two consecutive AG4 dodges with no skill will fail 30% of the time (and with three dodges it's 42%), while an unskilled 2d block fails around 11% of cases.

EDIT: I would be very interested in the "replay of the week" club too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011