1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf Lorren Lightning OCC S20 4A

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Etheric, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Holy shitballs! 7-0? Thats crazy!

2. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Was always going to be a tough game vs a powerful dark elf team, and getting 270 inducements, just took an apo and a wizard.

game started well with a blitz, and me securing the ball, but could not make it stick.

He managed to knock over my catcher with teh ball and recover with his 7458 blitzer. had quite a few 1d strip attempts and one other hit with my tackle guy plus fireballed the cage, but could not stop him and he stalled out to score in t8.

My 1tt attempt was ruined by a pitch invasion knocking over my tree who was going to make the first block and the guy he was goign to block.

2nd half I got the ball forward, and he managed some elf BS to knokc the ball loose and recover again with his star blitzer. This time I actually managed to get him down 1d, and pull off some elf BS with my wardancer to score.

Then I let him run in the last one as I was out of apos and had my strip ball dude off MNG anyway.

My d6 were -8.8 overall, with 25% ones plus 20% :skull: so was really hard to get stuff done.

Was a bit of a frustrating game, as once I had used my wizard and he got the ball with the str 4 dude was really hard to do anything.

Ah well 2-2-1 on the season.

3. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok next up we have a Khemri team with TV 2020. My current TV with loners is 1690 giving 330.

I guess standard wizard, apo, babe to try to keep 11 on the field.

His team looks like [​IMG]

Not that much tackle thankfully.

Hopfully can get a steal with the wizard and score on my offense and win 2-1. Only one wardancer for this one thoguh.

Current team

Tree : Block, Grab, +1MV
    WD : Strip Ball, Tackle [MNG]
    WD : +1 MV, tackle
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge
    Thrower : Strong Arm, Dodge,accurate
    Catcher : Block,SS,fend
    Catcher :
    Catcher :
    Line : Wrestle,dodge, tackle -av
    Line :
    3RR, apo, 8 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach

Have now got 140k in the bank, so could get two linos to go to 12 players. Having 2 loner linos is not too bad thoguh. A kicker would be handy though.

4. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Probably safer to wait til you have some cash reserves after the purchases in case you lose a positional or two... He's got some pretty weird levels there, probably a rookieish coach or a very old team I guess?

5. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah the guy lost 4-1 to the pro elves in the division (a good coach). As you say there is some wierd stuff there for sure.

Accurate and strong arm on a throwra? He does have an agi 3 guy to pass to, but still wierd. The other one has accurate as well. With agi 2 and strong arm/accurate it is a 2+/3+/4+/5+ to pass the ball, but it is still hardly reliable. Will try to make time to watch how it went against pro elves. And make a rain dance :D.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    It's actually slightly worse than that: 3+/3+/4+/5+ because Strong Arm does not affect Quick Passes.

7. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Another week another crappy game.

Ah well.

[​IMG]

8. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Hmm just watched the replay of that one.

His d6 were a bit bad, but mine were worse. Was only 3/6 picking up the ball, which is always a pain.

Of course the highlight was when he tried a pass and the catch was failed, then it scattered to one of his players who also missed the catch, and then scattered to another of his players who managed to catch it.

The tree being 2/6 on take root did not help either. Was pretty useless the whole game :(. Getting two double skulls in 16 blocks did not help much either.

Got a net 0 spp as well, with my catcher taking the mvp and getting a niggle :(

Team

WD : Strip Ball, Tackle
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge
    Catcher :
    Catcher : [niggle], *** skillup *** [MNG]
    Line :
    3RR, apo, 8 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach

Got some money so going to sack the niggled catcher I think.

Hoping for some better d6 next game.

9. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    That sucks Etheric - I thought you were going to school the passing Khemri for sure. But if the d6 abandon you, there's not much to do as elves - I've experienced it myself all too often. Better luck next game!

10. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Another week another bad d6 game. -4.23 this time.

[​IMG]

Was a funny game.

Stygger thought he was kicking so set up to receive, but the kickj went short (badly need a kicker).

Then moved forward. I used the wizard and got the ball loose, but was 1/5 knocking players down. With some lucky d6 managed to pick it up and get it relatively safe, and complete the steal.

1-0 half time.

Then my d6 took a turn for the horrible. Possibly should have been a bit more conservative, and just picked up the ball and moved back, but tried a pass, got a snake eyes and a bad scatter and we spent the rest of the half going back and fro after the ball.

I had one good chance and needed a 3+ 2+ 2+ 2+ to score, but got 151, then it was just a complete scrum around the ball, with him getting better d6, and me occasionaly stripping the ball lose.

At least there were no perm injuries. My thrower should level as well as he picked up the MVP.

11. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok decision time.

Levelup of my

+agi, dodge, strong arm thrower *** Normal roll**

Think I will just get leap.

I have a niggled catcher with 10spp as well who is probably going to get sacked.

With 210k in the bank could get some more players, but as the next opponents are these guys

[​IMG]

going in with 2 loners should be ok. Am open to suggestions though.

Team now (as the gif is updated)

WD : Strip Ball, Tackle, SS
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge *** normal roll ***
    Catcher :
    Catcher : [niggle], block
    Line :
    3RR, apo, 9 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach

12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    What about Safe Throw? It's 2+ with Ag 5. I don't think that Leap has good synergy with his existing skills.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Or Block, if the intention is to throw him in harms way to snag loose balls..

14. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Safe throw is a really marginal skill.

I have played 558 games in cyanide. I have intercepted the ball 12 times and been intercepted 10 times. It is not that hard not to give an interception chance. It can make things easier, and avoid some rolls, but it is so rare.

Scoring is rarely the problem, at least when receiving. It goes wrong when you get snake eyes or if you get your team smashed.

I have two good throwers. The strong arm, accurate guy is a passer, the agi 5 dude is to pick up balls in traffic. That is what I normally use him for. So it is safe hands or leap for me. Either make it easier to get to the ball on the floor or easier to pick the ball up when there.

15. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    In that case I would go Block or Sure Hands before Leap.

16. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Indeed. Block prolongs the players life, making her useful longer. Sure hands saves on a reroll, allowing more for the dodges in, the GFI:s out, or for the receiver to run away with the ball.

17. akirilus

Country Flag:
    I personally might be tempted by Accurate here, to complete the trifecta - +Agi, SA, Accurate = Long Bomb passes on 2+. It also doubles as poor man's NoS for short range distribution. Otherwise, Block it is, for the obvious benefits of blodge.

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeh, but thing is, 3+ with Pass skill is already plenty good, and actual need of long bombs is also quite marginal for the most part. A vast majority of my passes are always shorter. I usually only use long bombs for desperate plays when greatly outnumbered, keeping the ball back and passing straight from the midline to the TD line etc.

Etheric is planning for this Thrower to play as a defensive one, so from that point of view Accurate is probably not that attractive. As mentioned, Leap, Sure Hands or Block are probably the way to go in that case.

Leap will get you to a lose ball faster. Sure Hands will increase your odds of stealing those lose balls as long as they are in standard MA7 reach, and Block (blodge) will add to the general survivability of a player in Defense so to do his job more often.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  19. akirilus

Country Flag:

SH feels like a bit of a waste to me, in this situation, but probably just personal bias. I definitely see your point, Via. Also - not used to wood elves :) .

20. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    That´s true, specially given that the Thrower has already two in built RR´s one for dodging away after the pick up and for chucking it away to safety. You can in theory plan to keep the team RR for the pick up, everything else being "safe".

From the risk point of view Leap would add one more "risky" roll to the equation, while Block would be the safe bet.

In other words, and with regards to stealing lose balls in defense we have roughly that:
    - Leap would represent higher risk, higher reward with probably the shortest lifespan for the Thrower.
    - Block would be the low risk, low reward but longest life span.
    - Sure Hands will probably be somewhere in between due to lack of block but lower chance to remain exposed and most efficient stealing sequence (assuming ball in reasonable reach of standard MA7) due to pick up inbuilt RR allowing Team RR to be used elsewhere, i.e. dodging away from Tackle or in the catch after chucking away etc.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014