1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf Lorren Lightning OCC S22 3B

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Etheric, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

Really felt the lack of a kicker in the end. GOt to try to stop a 4 turn TD with 7 players and no war dancers. A deep kick and maybe I could ahve lucked it.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, personally I'd say you were a turn too early with the leaping - but then again it could have worked and you were in a good position, so why not (and fouling the dancer out stalled his advance)

The bigger thing was following that when you locked up the sideline advance tightly, but left a free approach down to the middle. Better that he keep squirming down the sideline, no?

3. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that is a good point, should not have let him back into the middle. Forcing up the sideline would be better. So rarely play collumns. Need to think about it a bit more. For sure if he had been on the sidelines it would have made setting up for his turn 8 a lot easier, and maybe would maybe have let me protect the wardancer.

Was wondering before the game of taking an extra apo vs having 12 players. Not sure there is much in it. In this case the apo would have been a lot better.

4. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
  5. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    You lost to the Chorfs? Daymn.

6. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yeah stygger is a good coach, and 6 tackle players makes it tough.

Makes it tight at the top of the division now. I should still get promoted as everyone has to play everyone still at the top, but a draw would have been a lot better, particularly if stygger beats the vamps and lizards.

7. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Some solid play by the dwarves, he did make it difficult for me. His team is so beaten up though it was tough.

Got a wizard inducement, and choose to receive as he had a bare 11 players and one of those the is the death roller.

The good

[​IMG]

and my tree finally got a 3rd cas for a skill.

The bad

At the end my strip ball wardancer gets hit by a rock for a dead apo dead.

Ah well rookie wardancers are good anyway :D.

Got the cash for a new one though!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  8. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok 2 skillups for the last game. A bit undecided.

Tree : *** Double ***
    WD :
    WD : Tackle, +1mv, SS
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge, sure hands, leap
    Thrower : Dodge **** normal roll ****
    Catcher : Block, Guard, SS
    Catcher : Block,SS,Fend, Guard
    Catcher :
    Line : wrestle
    Line : Wrestle,dodge, tackle, -av
    Line :
    Line :
    3RR, apo, 10 FF, 1 cheer, 1 coach

The backup thrower is something like an extra lino, so might just get block for him, probably would then take accurate on the next skill just incase something bad happens to my main thrower.

For the tree it is a choice between block and jump up I think. Probably will get JU, having a tree that can just get up is so useful for protecting the rest of the team.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  9. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    And oh the irony. His Sure hands, Extra Arms, Block, +Agi, KOR dude is MNG (and his only sure hands), and my strip baller died in the last game :(.

Will get a wizard if I drop a cheerleader though.

10. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    I'm all about outside-the-box thinking, but I don't see how you can go past Block for the Tree.

Jump Up will certainly be useful, but it only comes into play if he's on the ground in the first place. But Block will be useful al the time.

It will keep him on his feet more often, and stop him from causing turnovers. And because of that you can afford to use him more aggressively - taking 2d blocks early in the turn and leaving him unsupported against multiple players.

11. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Well Hwaca (currently struggling in Div 1) has got a Jump Up, Grab tree. He got +MV later as well.

For me the tree is mostly a distraction and to get in the way. People occasionally gang up on him which is great as it takes a lot of players to get him down. I did have a mv 3, block tree before which was great (until he roots :D).

BLock is a valid choice as well for sure. Hmm well the game is tomorrow evening got some time to think about it. Might just give jump up a spin anyway.

12. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, it's all about what annoys you the most - prone trees or trees rolling triple both down when you just want them to poke someone out of the way..

13. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Heh well makes a big difference in this game...

[​IMG]

Been a while since I got one of those games..

20% 1s
    he gets +15 on breaking armour

Manage a good steal with the wizard and that is about all I can manage.

my experienced wardancer gets a niggle
    An experienced catcher gets a -av

All in all one of the reasons BB pisses me off :(.

14. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Yay, we are the champions, we are the champions. Only of division 3b, but my first division title. Also gives a much needed 100k boost to the treasury.

[​IMG]

Before the game I sacked a coach to prevent the bribe. He instead took another ghoul, which was probably the right choice. Not sure he saw I had got rid of a coach when he got the ghoul.

Anyway he won the toss and elected to receive, which for sure is a strange choice, and probably bit him in the end.

As he made his first 5 blocks including 2 cas it was tricky to stop his drive and he did a fairly textbook 8 turn drive that I could not stop really. Had one shot at the ball, but needed quite a few GFI etc and that failed, so then I was just playing team preservation until he scored on T8.

Thankfully I managed the 1TT. Having a catcher wtih sidestep made it reasonably easy with how he set up. Did need a few 3+ and 3 GFI though, but my luck held and it was 1-1 on half time.

His defense was really not that great. The way to stop elfball attack is to send 1-2 players after the throwr and use the rest to smack my team. When he commited too many forward (and I got lucky giving a MNG with no regen to one of his wights), so I could score reasonably simply on turn 12, after stalling a bit - the first time in the season I have stalled, but this one I needed to win!

That gave him 4 turns to score back. I tried to kick deep, but it still went reasonably short and then bounced towards his ghoul, and he caged moving up the field. On his T15 he had to take a risk though, and gave me a chance to do some elf BS. I dodged out my wrestle/tackle guy for a 1d hit on the ball carrier, getting a :bothdown:. Then did some real elf BS with my catcher to pick up the ball and put it next to my end zone.

His turn he got a :pow: on the 2d to get my catcher down, but I could SS backwards to make the final play harder. Giving him a 2+2+4+4+3+ with just a team RR to equalise. He managed to snake eyes the last catch giving me a 2-1 win and the title!

Took 4 cas, but only a lino took anything perminant, with a niggle. That lino also picked up the MVP which is fairly typical I guess :D.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  15. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Final standings :

[​IMG]

Also the indivdual stats

[​IMG]

Giving my thrower 27 passes on the season, which is 3nd on the all time list of passes in a season. If one game had not been admined (and assuming no horrible cas) then probably would have broken the all time record of 29.

Should also get the most TDs and passes/catches for S22 in div 3 as well.

16. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok final team

Tree : Jump Up
    WD :
    WD : Tackle, +1mv, SS niggle
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge, sure hands, leap
    Thrower : Dodge kick
    Catcher : Block, Guard, SS, -av
    Catcher : Block,SS,Fend, Guard
    Catcher :
    Line : *** level up***, niggle
    Line :
    Line :
    3RR, apo

Initial team was
    Tree :
    WD : Strip Ball, Tackle, SS
    WD : Tackle, +1mv
    Thrower : +agi, Strong Arm,dodge, sure hands
    Thrower :
    Catcher :
    Catcher : Block,SS,Fend
    Line :
    3RR, apo, 11 FF

The goal for the season was to try to develop the team a bit. Think I did manage to do that, just an unfortunate last few games reversed it a bit. I think we are in reasonable shape though to go into division 2. The 100k prize money will help a lot as well.

Think I have to hang on to the niggled wardancer for a while, at least while the other one gets 1 or 2 skills. Maybe even the niggled lino, not sure. The -av catcher is needed for the guard as well. Open to suggestions in terms of the players.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. narg

narg Member

Country Flag:
    I've read a few discussions on that but I never really got the point. Can you tell me again why it's supposed to be better to kick?
    I can understand why it would be the case for elves, but for undead, not really.

Yeah my stupidity cost me the game. I'm not playing very regularly and I only remembered too late my good anti-1TTD set-up, last time I had to use it was probably two years ago. I should have looked into this before playing your team. Anyway.

I feel that's a bit unfair here, I only had 4 players with more than MA4, you injured one right away and you kept stunning the ghouls. There's only so much you can do with zombies. I was afraid you'd pass the ball back to the thrower and so on and so forth until T16, I just couldn't cover the whole pitch with my team. Anyway it gave me 4 turns to score, I was happy with that.

I used to be able to score 2-turn touchdowns easily with that team but I lost all my ghouls two games before.

Anyway, congrats & good luck in D2.

18. Etheric

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Ok for undead in general maybe not. For undead playing elves? If it is better for me to kick it is better for you to kick too.

The short answer is that you need more players to defend than attack, so defending at the start is good for av7 teams.
    The long answer is
    Kicking or Receiving | Blood Bowl Tactics

The practical difference was that the 1TT attempt would have been at T16 instead of T8 and I might not have had enough players.

Well undead rosters can have up to 4 ghouls and you had the money, so if you wanted to you could have had more fast players. You could also have started the drive with 3 ghouls. I had one tackle player available, and am not going to make that many blocks.

If you want to see how to defend with slow players watch how stygger played against me. I forget if I scored or not on my drive (think I did, then it was jsut a standard 2-1 grind). Chaos dwarves have roughly the same number of fast players. The minatuar is mv 5, but the WA cancels that out really.

Defending against Elves you need to either make them score fast or take risks. 5 turns for me (leaving you 4 turns) is really about as slow as I can score.

What you do is send 1-2 players after the ball to prevent an elf stall or too much of one and use the rest of your team to beat up the players down field. Double mark the obvious targets and get in as many hits as you can.

What you did was single mark my catcher and move most of your team out of position into my half. The move to bypass your team was a 2+ dodge with dodge reroll, a 75% block then a 2+ pass with pass reroll and a 2+ catch with a catch reroll. Which is about as easy as it gets. Then as all your team is in no-mans land I can stall it out for a few turns.

Sure you had a decent chance to score in 4 turns, but it could have been 5 or 6 and you would have got a draw. Or if you had forced some tricky rolls then maybe one would have failed and you could have won 2-1. In the end you can modify the dice needed for your opponent to win, but not take away the chance. Making a 3+ a 4+ will not help all the time, but sometimes it will. In the end the fact that you had 4 turns to score not 5 was decisive.

With my T16 elfball, I gave left you with a 2D needing a :bothdown: or :pow:, then given where the ball scattered it was 2+ 2+ 4+ 4+ 3+. The combination of the block and the d6 afterwards is 20% with a team RR according to Samba.

In hindsight probably should have tried a pass to make it impossible for you to score (I think a 7 square pass to the ground and you would not have had a chance of a TD).

There is always something you can do better, try to find it.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  19. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Congratulations Etheric, a mighty season for your elves...

my final match has been cancelled and i get an Admined win to go a head of those steroid abusing ogres.... not the way i wanted to finish but Stygger seems really down on BB after his clown dwarves took such a beating....

Im looking forward to reading your exploits next season :)

20. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Congrats on the promotion.

For me the preferred 1st skill on a niggled lineelf is dirty player.
    However that plan needs a bench.

If you are going in with 12 players then go for wrestle.