1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man O' War: The project.

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by coachman, Nov 26, 2010.

1. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Due to the crazy way games are picked in MM I have decided to start a new project in the Nag open.

Meet Man O' War. A 14 player, 4 reroll and apoth Norse team. How did I get so much for a cool million? Easy, I only have linemen.

How will Man O' War possibly win? By keeping our TV at a steady 1000 so that we only meet new teams. Initially with less players and no doc I tried to keep them lean, around 800 TV. Unfortunately I could not get a game for love nor money.

Fixing this we then played our first game last night. Wish I had not bothered.

I out played this necro player all game. Had the ball all of my half and turned him over second half and should have been home free.

First attempt had me needing to down a zombie on 2 dice, ended up turning over after a reroll. This left me needing to go for it next turn and we all know how those turns go. I couldn't GFI with a reroll earlier so there was no hope with them all spent and the game depending on it.

Checking the stats I got 8 1s on 23 dice. Not good. Checking the blocking I got 25 skulls on 91 dice (and 5 defender downs). Despite this I stil kept a nil nil draw. A promising start for this unorthodox team.

I will be firing any player who does not get a double/stat increase. I'm in 2 minds whether to keep 1 player with tackle and 1 with kick. We will have to see about that when it happens.

Stay tuned to see how it goes.

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    An interesting concept, and I'm definitely curious at how you get on keeping the TV down to get those matches - very much a roster management process as well as the game on the pitch.

3. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think that you should beat most teams out there. Very much a winning formula. Just hope that you dont get matched up against a Dwarf team, as they could hurt you bad.

Also, why go for 14 lineman and an apoth? I would have chosen at least 1 positional and started with 13 players for my 1000 tv. I think 2 reserves is more than enough in a tv 1000 game.

4. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Good luck with it, curious how you get on. Have been thinking of doing something like that myself.

I had a look the other day and the top of the rankings was an amazon team with a tv 1170. That team is 2 blitzers and 9 linewomen, and 3 rerolls.

Starting TV was about 860, then got a lot of skills to get up to 1170.

I really don't like playing TV games, but it is difficult if you don't on the open leagues :(. Would be really cool if there was a resurection league as option as well. I can see why they use that in all the tournaments, takes some of the randomness out it.

5. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I will be throwing out excess linemen if I get any must have skill rolls to keep TV down. For now I can foul with abandon.

6. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Game 2 was against darkelves. 1 reroll, a witch and a couple of blitzers and an assassin.

I managed 6 turn TD fairly easily. Even when I put my ball carrier as a cage corner during a break into the back field. Moral of the story, dont play tired. I Kod 4 in the process, I had one Kod in return and a guy sent off on my 4th foul. 3 of his players came back on as he set up with 2 turns to equalise before the half. Strangely he only sent one guy deep. I pancaked him then got sent off putting the boot in. Although unable to score he injured a lineman and Kod another.

Second half and my KO stays off, the elf comes back on pitch. Despite having 14 men I am now outnumbered 11 to 9. Its hard to defend elves when out numbered. At one point I pushed my way into the cage but a string of 1 dice blocks saved his bacon. He was blatantly playing for the draw so I got a blitz on his ball carrier near my endzone. I could only manage a push with a reroll.

I was left with 2 turns left and the wrong twam to do it with. Again I was outnumbered thanks to another injury and his Kos returning to the field. I sent 3 men deep and hoped for the best. I knew it wasnt on when I tried to blitz one of the markers from a receiver and used my reroll on skulls. The short pass was good but it wasn't caught.

So 2 draws for Man O' War and only 1 casualty caused in the first game despite kicking that assassin every turn. I have 4 players with scraps of experience but no skills. so my TV is still 1000. They feel competative so far, as long as you don't need to do anything spectacular. I just thought I would get more injuries, particularly playing undead and darkelves.

7. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    1-2-0

MOW had a hard fight against Amazons.

We kicked and although I pushed into the cage a few times I could not keep them out of my endzone. Turn one had a lineman MNG. A couple of turns later I had to use my apoth to save a dead result meanwhile I cant break armour. Zons couldnt put a foot wrong finding success in every dice roll, including a number of successful 1 dice blocks. They score but leave me 3 turns to equalise.

0-1 Amazons

I make a push up the right but get swamped. The ball is trapped in the scrum in the middle with guys pinned on the side line in scoring range on the right. I burn a reroll making room, dodge to the right and hand off, catch failed. To finish the half I have a player killed.

Half time and both his KOs come back on. The ball is kicked to my midfield and blitz. He punches a hole in my line and with multiple dodges and 4 gfis puts a player under the ball with one next to her. Catch made. Luckily they are unsupported tucked one space from my 5 man LOS. It takes 3 2 dice blocks and my blitz, pushing her from player to player but I knock her down and free the ball. I am able to pick it up and most of my players are milling around the ball carrier now.

After a number of blocks there are 3 zons by my ball carrier and most of my players (and his) are in the scrum at midfield. My carrier will get pancaked next turn as all my assists are cancelled. I manage to hand of to a free guy in the middle of my pack and make a break up the right with 3 cage corners for protection. Zons are badly out of position thanks to the brawl. I get another badly hurt.

I easily puch up field, although I choose to hand off to score as Im marked near the sideline. I get a chain block crowd push but still no injuries. On the plus side he now only has 1 reroll. There are 4 turns left.

1-1 Come on Man O' War

I set up and all my reserves are dead or injured, he has 1 Kod but still fields 11. I kick fairly deep on the right. He burns a reroll blocking LOS then gets attackerdown/both down on the blitz. Turn over and hes not covered the ball, Its on!

After telling him my team are pacifists with only 1 casualty to their career I badly hurt a linewoman to get 3 men upfield. His next turn finishes early again with a failed dodge breaking a catchers leg. He'd made much harder dodges all game. I get the ball, I cant reach the endzone but with rerolls to spare I GFI twice to get 1 square out, only the thrower (People really buy those?) can reach me now and I have support who can reach the ball and score last turn if he turns it loose.

He blitzes 1 on 1 and its a skull, his first failed 1 dice block this game and hes out of rerolls. I skip the ball in last turn.

2-1 Man O' War

His last turn is uneventful.

2-1 win final score.

Im glad I stuck with it, his amazing dice just ran out half way through the second half, burning his rerolls where he was easily throwing 1 dice blocks and dodging into tackle zones before.

I have 2 skill ups. I went with Dauntless as I'm not buying a big guy and tackle to sort out catchers. I replaced the dead mineman and with 1 player MNG I weigh in at 1010 TV.

A great game, I was hoping for more than 2 casualties though. I didn't really do any fouling as he has no high value players. I must be the only player on earth who ends up out numbered when he gang fouls and keeps even numbers when playing nice.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Do like your project, but it is one of the reasons I prefer privat leagues, hopeing not to meet that intense TV management.

9. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    My only question is about your team development.

You say you will fire players unless they get stat increases or doubles. What doubles would you be taking? Also, you can't expect to roll double twice in a row on everyone, so what would you take after said doubles?

10. roobyrax

roobyrax New Member

Country Flag:
    Low TV blodginess would be awfully tough to deal with.

11. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Right now I have 2 players with normal skills. For now they can stay as my TV is 1010 with 13 men playing and 4 RRs. Anyone taking my TV much above 1000 will have to go. I have 1 guy with tackle and 1 with dauntless. If I could pick again I would have taken kick instead.

Apart from dodge or guard there are not many skills that will massively improve my 50k linemen. I will be brutal with cuts as the TV creeps higher. This team will only work if it keeps playing new teams, which is a very real possibility.

12. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If you are thinking to give them dodge on a double, wouldn't you have been better off starting with an Amazon team? Then you could give them block as a normal skill first time round. It would keep your tv down and give you exactly what you are looking for in your Norse team, but at lower tv. Then you could fire the girls if they dont get a double (Guard) by their second skill.

I actually hate playing teams like yours on mm (where they very actively manage their tv) :mad:, but it is interesting to see how you are going.

13. chef

chef New Member

Country Flag:
    I thought the same thing about the amazons. But since he is randomly placed against teams, what would happen if he were to get a game against a dwarf team? Against all other teams and in the long run he might do better, but any decent dwarf coach would DESTROY a team of all amazon linewomen.

14. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I played my next match against flings, no inducements on either side. I chose to kick. I got a blitz to start but the kick had gone too deep for me to make the most of it. I kept him out of the endzone all half, stopping him within GFI distance scoring, but had my tackle guy killed and a couple of injuries vs a couple of KOs for the flings.

I started the second half out numbered by flings... Whats going on? Things turned around here. I put together a brutal drive, getting in the flings faces, smashing them about. Apart from 3 men distracting the trees (dauntless paying dividends) we moved enmass up field. When he stopped my moving forward I piled guys into base to base contact and smashed through the following turn. Turn 12 a tree took root for the first time and so I ditched the trees to join the ruck. By turn 15 he had 3 flings and 2 trees on field compared to my mostly intact squad. He forced me into the endzone by dodging through my screen and forcing me into the endzone on a half dice block.

With 2 turns his chances were slim. Strangly he sent a fling deep like an elf team might rather than going for the TTM. As it was I hit the ball carrier in his backfield and put TZs on the ball shutting him out.

I had a skill up and bought tackle to replace the dead guy. Man O' War are now 2-2-0. with 13 men for the next game, 3 FF, 4 RRs, an apoth, dauntless and tackle for a cool 1020TV.

To answer Narly regarding Zons. I'd thought about it before going Norse. With one skill up Zons are better but you have to get there first. With no skills TDs are coming slowly, 1 nil at a time. It would take years to get a whole team to skill up like this. Out of the box my Norse are far more reliable. I am also not bothered
    when they die, 50k gets a new one who is competative from start as I'm playing new(ish) teams.