1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undead Mayhem Clinic

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by hungrygnome, Jan 14, 2013.

1. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Mayhem Clinic is my Doctor themed Undead Team I play in a tabletop league with a group of friends. So far, we have played a pre-season of 5 games (resurrection for pre-season only), and Chaos Cup qualifiers and the Cup itself. The league consists of Dark Elves (only undefeated team and holder of Chaos Cup now), Nurgle, Necromantic, Wood Elves, Humans, Halflings, Amazons, and my Undead.

So far, the league is relatively well balanced, with a lot of ties going around. Mind you, this group is NOT fond of anyone going for blood, as even when I am willing to play my last turn in a half just for a chance at some hits, that ruffles some feathers. So Killer builds are going to be frowned upon. We also use Free Agents, which are players with at least 2 double rolls from a previous season that can be hired onto the team permanantly. We keep a long running list.

So far Ive been lucky in that ive only had a single injury, which happened to be -1 move. And im willing to take that on a ghoul with the skills he had. Had to fire a zombie that I got for free just because I didnt need the inflated team value.

Just looking for any advice on further building, as there are still 3 Cups to go through. (Im not listing the regeneration)

5 re-rolls

Bruce Banner - Mummy: Mighty Blow, Block, Guard, Multi-Block
    Zoidberg - Mummy: Mighty Blow,+STR, Guard, Break Tackle
    Doogie Howser - Wight: Block, Dodge, Tackle
    Frasier Crane - Wight: Block, Dodge, Tackle
    Gregory House - Ghoul: Dodge, Block , Sure Hands
    Emmet Brown - Ghoul: Dodge, Block, Tackle
    Bunsen Honeydew - Ghoul: Dodge, Wrestle, Tackle
    Dirty Sam the Janitor (Free agent Ghoul): Dodge,Wrestle, Nerves of Steel, Jump Up, Dump Off ( -1 movement )

Fourth Doctor - Zombie: Kick
    Third Doctor - Zombie:
    Second Doctor - Zombie:
    Johnny Stiff (Zombie free agent) : Block, Guard, Stand Firm

I was thinking Multi-Block on Bruce next, with aiming for some strip ball on the ghouls, and Guard on the Wights.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I so sorry, but this is not in the spirit of the game - you have to kill, maim and mutilate. And get some dirty players:p

Well if destruction is not an option, then spamming tackle and taking diving tackle on doubles should be a good choise. That way you can lock the pitch down. You should also get some frenzy in order to narrow the pitch - crowd surfing can not be your fault and any killing coming from that is only the crowd getting borred with this soft aproach to Blood Bowl.

I think that when you play the pre season with resurrection, you favour the fragile teams and your undead will see a tougher season. I think that rebuilding a team is also part of the game:powdodge:

3. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I agree. They had some bad experience with a player who would deliberately chase specific figures down with an assist JUST to try and get that player injured. If AGI teams are willing to play the last turn just to get a pass, as a Bash team, ill play the last turn to get some hits..

Now, im not out to KILL per se, but I am looking to at least play the numbers game.. KO'ed players and Badly Hurt is fine for me. Ive had horrible luck on armor breaks and injury rolls though.. VS halflings, I managed to Kill one halfling, but only managed to break armor on 3 others.. and I put ALOT of halfling on the ground.

They tend to be anti - fouling also, and I generally wont throw them unless a) I have a zombie far out of place late in the game, b) I get a free foul from kickoff, or c) I REALLY want that player gone ( block, dodge, stand firm amazon I managed to finally get off the pitch with a foul once i managed to get her down.. Hate corks...)

So yes, a bit of a soft group of players for blood bowl. And Im considering either Multi-block or Frenzy for Bruce Banner the Mummy.

4. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    If you get a double then go with frenzy, it is great on a mummy:powdodge:

5. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    And yes, it does favor the squishier teams.. they can afford to build thier starting team without an apothecary, because no matter what, they wont lose players. On average.. with no fame winnings, 5 games would be 170k.. AND I cant get a free zombie because I didnt kill anyone technically. They are wanting to vote on the narrow tier by team for next season.. Which per the 2013 the take Mighty Blow away from mummies to give them grab. Apparently MB on a starter with no downfall causes them to develop too quickly. I think if they play ressurection, it shouldnt matter. If no players suffer permanent injury, Taking Mighty Blow away just delays them behind players who develop faster due to no lasting hurt.

6. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would so love to fly over and show them how to destroy and maim those padded and protected teams, but I guess they would hate me after 2 games and me fouling every chance I got - and it is a bit far:p

7. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Well, im not looked at fondly after my recent game. Bruce managed -AV to nurgles beast along with having injured 2 pestigors with wights. Unfortunately, im down 2 ghouls for my next game. Bruce picked up multiblock, and I now have the most blodgers (or wrestle dodge) of anyone but the amazons. I lost to nurgle though due to disturbing prescence stack. A bouncing ball I knocked loose ended up in a unskilled zombies hands, and I could not get it out of his hands. The zombies were the only ones rolling 6's to pick up the ball.

I told them, its a bash team, so im going to bash with them.. Deal with it. The numbers game is part of strategy.

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Disturbing presence doesn't affect pickups though, only passes and catches. So if you want the ball to change hand, just hand it off at 6+, then pick it up from the ground on 3+ next turn.

9. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    The sooner they learn the sooner they improve their game:powdodge:

10. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Does a bouncing ball from a failed hand off affected by disturbing? Because thats how we read it. And I meant the zombies were the only ones able to roll a six the 3 times I tried to hand off and fail, only for the zombues to get it again..

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Its a catch roll, so yes disturb affects it:powdodge:

12. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Found out part of the real issue.. Other games beef flowing over. Apparently people upset that when I play a game , I optimize too well. Add that coupled with my style in bloodbowl , where I always try for the 2d block if possible, and the mummies aim for 3d block.. people see it as ganging up.. I guess aiming for mechanical advantage within the rules of the system isnt good sportsmanship.

13. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    Then they are idiots. Its like expecting a thrower to make a 4-6 pass when one GFI will make it a 3-6 pass. Of course you will do that.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well.. some people prefer the "Madness" Blood Bowl to the "Numbers-Chrunching" blood bowl.

So he can keep bashing everyone in an optimized manner, either forcing people to start playing bash as well (which they apparently don't want to) or killing the league (worst case), or he can pick up a gamestyle that meshes with the others and plays to have fun. (Switching to Skaven, Pro Elf or maybe Vampires)

Or why not Goblins - you get to bash and three-dice and foul cheerfully, claiming you are RP:ing goblins, and their "hurt feelings" are soothed by the fact that they'll probably win (or draw). Everyone wins. :p

15. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    If you want to be conciliatory sure that is a good way. I would never trust that these players would not change where their boundaries are if things started not to go their way is all.

16. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I cant switch. Im stuck with undead until the end of the season which is a good 14 games away minimally. And the exact words of our league commisioner were " your playstyle is too predatory at the expense of your opponent enjoying the game." So how do I play undead less predatory? Im honestly cluless.

17. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    You don't really. Tell them that you are not sure about what to do and that some help in the matter would be helpful.

18. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Even if I could switch, im still playimg to win more than I lose, and gobbos isnt my idea of winning or fun. Ideally I would play high elves. They have the armor I prefer, and the high movement players I would like in an agi team.

19. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, kindly explain to your commissioner that Undead are a predatory team (or tell him to come here and discuss things with Netsmurf) and that you had the impression that this would be ok, but that you might be willing to change to High Elves, and otherwise feel oblige to make sure all opponents get equal treatment from your Undead.

(Assuming you are indeed willing to change to High Elves. I know I would probably feel miffed at needing such a change, but on the other hand you seem to have cause to feel miffed already)

20. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Nikolai, explain that you are playing the team as it should be played but if it does not suit people's notion of what the game is you would happily switich to High Elves. I would ask for all your SPPs to be randomly distributed to your new team if you can.

PS I hate these guys