1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderation

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Werebat, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Is this forum moderated? I've been hanging out here for close to a year now and I'm not sure. Which is a good thing either way, IMO. But I am curious as to the truth.

One thing I've noticed is that the community using this forum is very civil and helpful. Another thing I've noticed is a lack of moderators throwing their weight around and editing/excising content for questionable reasons (or any reasons, for that matter).

If it isn't moderated, this is a great community. If it IS moderated, it has some great moderators.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Yeah it is moderated, though as you mentioned there hasn't really been any need for any heavy handedness.

That's down to the nice and friendly users and the great job my moderating team do! Thanks to both. :pow:

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. :D

And yes, apart from clearing out spam there's rarely much work to do. And I like it that way. Maybe once a year something happens that demands actual management. :cool:

Comparing with other forums I've visited or moderated I'd say that it might be due to BB being a "thinking game" rather than a "twitch game" - it attracts people who accept they have to think, and this thinking carries over somewhat to their posting. ;)

4. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    And as its the time of year... I would like to point out, that while it was the brilliant skills, roster, player & notwhat guides Coach has written up that brought me here it is very much the friendly folk that have made me feel welcome and enticed me to stay.

Thanks all for the great site & community.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Well said Cloud, Id think that goes for nearly everyone too. Merry Christmas all.

6. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Maybe. My first exposure to online discussion was unmoderated (Usenet), and while I understand why most people eventually chose to gravitate to moderated fora, I still believe that we lost something important when we did so.

It's a little hard to explain -- maybe the best I can do is to point out that I learned a lot more about religion from discussions I read and participated in on entirely unmoderated newsgroups like talk.origins and alt.religion (at a very important stage of my personal growth) than I ever learned from doing the same on similar, moderated groups. Moderation breeds like/like groupings, and try as they might, it's very difficult for humans with the sort of power that moderators have to use it with complete impartiality. It can also be difficult for possibly important conversations to get past a necessary "hump of discomfort" and into fruitful ground when moderators are present whose job it is to make sure that everyone is comfortable.

These days, most of my online fora experience (other than here) is with moderated RPG fora. I seem not to do well on these, maybe because I tend to enter into conversations the way I would on rec.games.frp.dnd and tend to end up getting caught up in the nettles when I offend someone and the local clique mobilizes. And, to be fair, I get irritated when mods get involved because... I do.

But that never happens here. It's very nice.

Anyway, my point is that RPGs aren't "twitch" games either, they're thinking games (certainly when discussion of character min/maxing is on the table), but I see lots of negative stuff on RPG discussion groups that I don't see here. And I end up feeling like I'm a nicer person here than I am there, too.

Not sure what it is, exactly, but as I said in my OP, the fact that I went a whole year without being sure if these forums were moderated or not is something I see as a great positive.

7. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    I'm thinking a little more, and guessing that maybe one of the reasons we don't have a lot of discussions that degenerate into viciousness is that there's really no way to benefit in-game from "winning" an argument over Cyanide's Blood Bowl rules. In an RPG, if I can convince most people that a vague game mechanic works a certain way, I can try to use that consensus to sway things at the game table. Even the fact that interpretation is a thing that affects game table rulings might be enough to get people very invested in their own pet theories about how things should be ruled (even in cases where the actual RAW are NOT vague).

But in Cyanide's Blood Bowl, it doesn't matter if I think Rat Ogres should have a 3 AG, or potions should be standard inducement options with half price for Underworld teams. The game isn't changing, no matter who I convince here, so what's the point in getting worked up about it?

With everyone on the same page there, I can see why there's much less "heat" in general when it comes to rules discussions.

8. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    House rulings do matter though, like the end zone discussion that did get a bit heated. At the end of the day I think this cmunity is exceptionally full of good will. Maybe because its such a niche which gives us a sense of camaraderie.

9. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    This started out as a small community of friendly people helping each other out and as it has grown it has drawn like-minded people to it. I think that is why it has done so well in addition to welcoming beginners to the game in a non judging way. It's never mattered how good you are, it's always been about having a good time with others sharing stories and giving/receiving advice about the game. The competitiveness has never been all that strong and when it is, it is good-natured fun. How seriously mad can you get over a game involving dice rolls? Shit happens!

As far as rules go we are all playing by LRB6 and dealing with Cyanide's bugs as they come. I think as long as we reach a majority agreement about whatever rule is in question then that is pretty much fine. We can't argue about potions or character stats as they are just set in the TT game rules. Sure they could be tweaked here and there and that can be done with your own house rules on TT. On Cyanide it's just play with what you are given, the lack of Star Players being the biggest weakness. And maybe a vampire bug or two. or three. or twelve.

10. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I think that due to what kind of game this is, and how you have to play it... that it can take a long time to finish, up to over an hour or more on occations, having to wait for your opponent to take his/her turn which can take several minuts, needing to somewhat carefully plan out ones actions for the current any future turns, etc... you need a lot of patience for this kind of game really, you need a lot of ability to just think a lot and take your time to figure things out, amongst a lot of other things.

Which in my mind does mean that this game naturally filter out a lot of people who just do not have that kind of patience and "think befor you speak" type of mentality. Which means that a pretty large part of the crowd who tend to be very... reactionary, and unable to wait for a minut befor they start to get highly bored, and get very vocal about how bored they are, or are quick to start cursing people out because they made a mistake which caused their side to lose or something, etc... get's filtered away pretty quickly.

At the same time I think due to how small the community is, the community has a much easier time to self-police it's self... where people who are being arses actually get called out on it faster (get's called out on it at all to begin with), or get's sort of shunned by the general community.

So if the game it's self does not filter away all of the kind of people who tend to be realy nasty towards others when things are not going their way... the community it's self will either filter them away, or "correct" their behavior so that they can stay.

I have seen simmilar things in other games to. Final Fantasy XI and City of Heroes/Villains comes to mind, but for slightly different reasons. The thing those two had in common was that they are mmo's and both had a somewhat small community, other then that they where pretty different... one being a pretty hardcore type of game, where as the other was a lot more casual in comparison. But both of them seemed to have a natural tendency to filter away the "wow crowd" (as they where called), for different reasons.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  11. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Vampire coaches are the real BB heroes ;) :D