1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mordheim - PC release

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jbecks, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Feannog

Feannog New Member

Country Flag:
    I have this on early access on Steam. I have to say it is not worth the price they are asking at present. Full price for a game that isn't even %50 complete is a bit much, but maybe worth paying just in case the price goes up as the game gets better.. However, it certainly does have a lot of potential. Turn based games are usually lacking in the action/excitement department and to date only the XCom games and bloodbowl have ever really carried it off, but Mordheim is on the right track.
    In its present state, you have 3 warbands to choose from. Skaven, human, and a bunch of militant feminists called the sisters of something or other. It's all a little repetitive at present due to the limited content but there are some new features being added soon to make running a warband a lot more in depth and interesting. The graphics are nice, very atmospheric etc, but let down by some really stupid camera angles during animations and attacks. Hopefully this will be addressed in later patches.
    Definitely one to watch if you are a turn based fan. The Dev team is very active and they are listening to us early access guys. Updates are forthcoming and frequent it seems.

2. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    So, thought I'd pull this back to page 1 as opposed to starting a new topic about the EXACT same thing. :D

Anyway, I've been watching a bit of gameplay on YT concerning Mordheim and wondered if anyone was interested in some sort of mini-campaign at some point? Obviously it'd have to be run similar to a Blood Bowl season due to the fact that it's an even more in depth turn-based strategy game, and games take time to play, but if there's enough interest it might be a fun thing to do as opposed to more Blood Bowl. I know, heathen talk, perish the thought. :p

Still, I was considering taking a season off from BC soon since I'm really finding it difficult to stay enthusiastic when I lose week-in and week-out, so a different Warhammer game would be a nice change of pace for me. What do we think?

3. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    I have it and keep meaning to try it, but I had a quick go when they released the first beta build and came away confused and disinterested. It'd be nice to have an excuse to try it again properly.

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I've heard really good things from other people int he beta so its definitely on my radar, but I think I need a hardware upgrade before I can take it on.

5. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    It is also on my radar, and I am waiting to hear more about it (and a price drop, perhaps? a man can wish, can he?)
    Well, I'll let you know when I pick it up.

6. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Ive played a bit of this over the last few months.

The single player is hard and unforgiving. Haven't tried multiplayer on it yet though, would be willing to to try having a game against someone here to test it out.

Don't like the fact you have to go through a lot of games in single player each time to unlock the ability to hire certain classes for the warband, eg you need to go through many encounters and send lots of collected Wyrdstone's to a certain faction before you can hire Mutants as Cult of the possessed.

It is nice that it gives you more reason to collect Wyrdstone's than just the gold bonus of handing them over. But still a bit annoying to me as I want more mutations.

Don't know how things like this compare to the table top version which I have never played.

7. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    I know that the table top version has a far superior amount of choice for setting up a warband, in both weapons and classes available. From what I recall from the few articles I read about it, you start with 500 Gold and use that to purchase your entire warband from the list. So you take your leader and then they can start with anything on the weapons table as opposed to be restricted to the generic gear and the small amount of stuff in the shop, and the same goes for every one of your warband members. Plus you can instantly take Possessed with a Cultist Warband, for example.

That said, I sort of like CotD's current system in that it forces you to work for some of the options, and therefore you get used to using the basic grunts before you are given the option to pick up the superior options for your warband. On the other hand though, if my setup is similar enough to everyone else's my warband doesn't feel nearly as personal right from the off. I'm hoping it will take the tabletop setup ultimately, if only because you shouldn't be restricted to a five-man band with the more hordelike warbands.

I do agree that the SP is unforgiving, but for the setting it only makes sense. And I somehow get a nice feeling of accomplishment even if things go poorly provided that I tried my best, which is something that is vital for this sort of game. Sort of like Blood Bowl provided that its not due to a sheer Nuffling in terms of luck.

8. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Will be starting a full league in time for general release on behalf of the Gentleman of Mordheim, I'll post details once the website/forums are up, though the steam group is active. If you have any questions feel free to field them my way there's not a huge amount I don't know about this game. Its nothing like Tabletop but that's not a bad thing at all, as the Table top rules have no balance and no long term playability (think on going bloodbowl but 10x worse). The mechanics a really neat and while its far from perfect I think the games got massive potential I just hope its popular enough for them to produce expansion material and more warbands via DLC because that will massive increase the longevity of the game.

Anyway drop me a message here or on steam if you want any info, I've got various videos posted up about as well and Join the Gentleman of Mordhiem its the only honourable way of unleashing brutal death and shaking hands afterwards.

crimsonsun