1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics My NAF experiences

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Supa, Aug 15, 2019.

1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Frenzy + MB is often worse against bash teams though. I know that Tackle is a wasted skill against Bash, but Frenzy on a Str 3, Ag 3 piece can often limit your options, or get you into trouble against a good Bash opponent.

2. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Then again the reason to take necro for a tournament is werewolves, who start with lots of mobility and claw for frenzy. They're also only ST3, AG3. Necromantic is probably my 2nd favorite of the bunch at the moment with the ruleset. :D Sure, flesh golems are extremely useful for some frenzy shenanigans, but I still believe that each team could use a frenzy player on their team, if possible. I'd like to believe at least some of the coaches I've practiced against are really good and frenzy didn't feel like a hindrance vs them. But maybe I'm wrong. :D

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I guess you should take what you feel comfortable with. Frenzy on the wolves is a bit different to this case though, because you often might have a wight with MB as an alternative blitzer. Giving both MB and Frenzy to the same piece when skills are so limited makes your team more predictable and easier to defend against in my opinion.

Supa likes this.
  4. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I ended up 2-0-2 in the tournament, placing 13th out of 28 coaches. As a bad excuse, I did sleep quite bad night before the tournament. :D But yes, I definitely should've played better. My first two games were vs chaos and chaos pact respectively, and I ended up winning them 2-0 and 1-0. Chaos is horribly under-tiered, so much that humans were capable of outblocking them while still maintaining their mobility. Chaos pact also felt a little meh team, on my defensive drive I didn't get an obvious way to score back, so I tried to play it really tight in case the elf pulls out some magic trick.

So with those two games done on "automatic" mode, since I felt like the build did more work than I did as a coach, I was pitted against a lizardman coach. It was a horrible game, I took a big gambit on my offensive drive and it failed. Karla failed dauntless on kroxigor on turn 3, rolled skull and got a casualty. It was a hard matchup and I got punished heavily for my mistake. Lizardmen win the game 1-0 after almost pitch-clearing my humans.

Final game was vs chaos dwarves, and the 1st half was a really fun game. I wish I'd forced chaos dwarves to score more quickly on first half, it was quite close I could steal the ball. They ended up scoring on turn 7 thanks to riot. I get a great shot to score in 2 turns, but chaos dwarves do some 4+ dodging to make things a little complicated. I snaked a GFI fairly early on turn 8, so 1st half ended 0-1 for chorfs. 2nd half my guard blitzer gets removed with a rock. Some blocking happens and things look alright, but Karla doubleskulls on turn 3. Not too critical I think, chorfs struggle to get 2d blocks anywhere. So they take 1d blocks and remove 2 players and stun 1, all without mb. D'oh. I cannot really cage up, a huge scramble ensues, but with chorfs now having strength+guard superiority, they finally escape with the ball and win 2-0.

Overall a good tournament, although I wish I'd been able to sleep better. Definitely did NOT miss tackle in the tournament. :p Another Karla humies ended up winning the tournament, but they faced Khorne, 2 elf teams and skaven. He did say that if we'd swapped the matchups, I would've won the tournament. Potentially true, but I still need to practice more vs more difficult human match ups, or maybe even take a different team for the next tournament... I felt that Karla is necessary. I can handle elves and such without Karla, but she's a core player in bashier games. After the tournament I started to consider my options for next tournament in early February, and I've the following in my mind for now:
    • Continue with this build. They are still a good team, and I shouldn't let one tournament change my mind too heavily. I'm comfortable vs elves, a little bit less so vs the likes of lizardmen and orcs, so I need to practice those matchups. Karla seems to be worthwhile over a reroll, bench player and apo, but her loner screws up things quite a bit at times.
    • Bretonnian. They are almost like humans, with safer blocks, Dauntless for ST4, at the cost of worse linemen and no option for Karla. I've tried to run it with and without an elf starplayer and cannot decide which is better. I might also want to skip sure hands for a blitzer in favor of another skill, so I need to test that vs woodies. It's still not the best life for woodies to leap in a tight cage with 3+ and -2d to block.
    • Orc. Really solid grinders, they get lots of guard, safe blocking, 3 rerolls, sure hands and quite good bench too as a backup. I'm just worried that if I cannot stop the score, they struggle to score quickly, which might lead to too many draws instead of wins.
    • Necromantic. I like them a lot, but on paper they're not that impressive. Their offense doesn't feel that consistent in my hands, and even on defense they can have trouble against woodies if I cannot get players off the pitch. I might want to look for something else to deal with lizardmen also, even if they're probably better than humans on that matchup.
    • Chaos Dwarves. I liked some of the things I saw how my final opponent played. I just haven't really played them yet on this format, but they're certainly quite beefy and bull centaurs are cool. Lack of mobility is an issue obviously.

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Nice write-up! How did the frenzy piece perform in general?

6. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Right, I didn't have frenzy. I had leader thrower, guard ogre, 3 guard blitzers, mighty blow blitzer and wrestle lineman. It was an alternative plan in case I want block for ogre (at the cost of less skills), or non-Karla build. Definitely didn't feel like cutting guard after the tournament, since the team was outmuscled vs lizardmen. :D

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, that seems like a decent build against bash teams. Having Tackle would only have been good against the Lizardman team, although the match-ups you get are not something that you can control. I did very well in a tournament with Humans last year with an MB+Tackle blitzer, but my opponents were Dark Elves, Undead, High Elves and Amazons in that order. Ended up 3-1-0, but the Tackle would have been far less useful against your opponents!

Supa likes this.
  8. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

I'm heavily leaning towards orcs for next tournament, although Karla humans are very close. I'd heavily improve my odds vs other stronger teams, at the cost of weaker performance vs elves. Still, elf performance wasn't that stellar in the tournament and even mass guard without tacklers caused lots of trouble for them. I don't like the troll, but alternative rosters do not seem worthwhile either. Orc starplayer access is quite poor for tournaments.

Still trying to make up my mind if goblin is worth it, usually I don't have to field my 12th player with orcs on this tournament setting, so the choice is somewhat marginal. I still like him as a niche scoring option vs elves, if they still have a screen in front of me, or if I have to score a quick touchdown. And sometimes troll TTM works... :D he acts like a poor man's human catcher if he's on the field.

Plenty of time to practice! I'm even playing in an online league with orcs at the moment to keep me warmed up (last two were played with humans).