1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Severe Dislike of Big Guys

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by CyberMetalOverlord, Aug 28, 2013.

1. CyberMetalOverlord

CyberMetalOverlord New Member

Country Flag:
    Hi guys this is my first post, but it's about something I feel I need to talk about. I cannot stand big guys, I just hate using a team member that will sometimes completely go retarded and do nothing. I've lost matches because my big guy just fails to pass his negative trait roll and sits there. I've sworn off using big guys and I wonder if anyone else shares my sentiment.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Lots of people don't use them. I'm mainly a skaven player and originally swore off the rat ogre and now think he has only limited utility at low TV. Trolls are often skipped on orc teams, Minos ignored by chaos. I have no problem with ogres kroxigors or beasts of nurgle though. While others, like the BT and warp troll are practically essential. The best big giys tend to be those who you need to use the least. Big guys who make good road blocks are great. Again the BT is the exception.

3. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Same problem... and I avoid teams that rely on them. The only Big Guy I like is Nurgle Beast. Otherwise its just asking for trouble these block heads...

4. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Lol, dont get me started on Trees!

5. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    I'm rather fond of them, myself. Trick is to not rely on them too much, and make every roll you make with them somehow useful. My minotaurs and Bthirsters have traditionally always been screwed over as a result of getting baited away from the main conflict, and then left to fail endless WA because they don't have anyone to kill and I can't afford the blitz.

So it's a balancing act. I resent it when a team is outright forced to take one (Uwd, Khorne) as it implies that the team can't function without it. There are a bunch of teams that can take one and are all the better for it, though. Chaos teams don't need a minotaur, but the additional punch can make a big difference.

Although I have a bad habit of reactive play and sometimes losing my long-term plans in the moment, I like to think of myself as a strategic player. Every element of a team and every square of a pitch has a significance. I really like big guys not necessarily because of their destructive potential or whatever, but because they can't be ignored. If you play smart, they can be sidelined, but most of the time, that's a Str5 monster sitting in the middle of your formation, and there's not a great deal you can do about it. Even if it sometimes won't move and sometimes loses its TZs, you can't afford to ignore it.

6. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    They're an extra venue of consideration, and ST5 gives you more pitch control, so I like them. I do hate Wild Animals, though, because that hinders positioning.

You're not supposed to try and do something with them every turn. If you do, stuff is of course going to go bad.

7. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I love em. The extra risk in using them is the price you pay for that much utility. Also I subscribe to the road block magazine, so once my big guy is in place, he's probably only going to start punching once I have a very comfortable pitch position. Teams I use a big guy on so far are Chaos and Lizardman. I also Like the troll on Orcs, but I'm a shit Orc coach.

8. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    I love them :) and pact gets 3 off them :D :D they are unreliable but you can use them for road blocks or if you need to block try and get a 3 die block with them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  9. Basilisk9466

Basilisk9466 Member

Country Flag:
    I'd probably go so far as to say that the Krox is essential for lizards. They don't need more than four skinks, and the more they can overpower the opponent, the better off they are. 7 Str4+ players is mildly dumb.

10. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I actually deleted the caveat that the krox is essential. Guess I should've left it. With block and claw though, it's not exactly easy for liz to respond to necro at 1000 tv. And remember that liz have to sack an rr and go without the apo for that 7 4st+ roster.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  11. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Most Orc coaches are ;)

12. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I love when people take the setups like that, it saves me having to tell my own punchlines :D

13. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    No Deathroller on my team anymore.

Even with Block I realised he was the most expensive player on my team and about the 7th most useful.

Since then I have been relegated :(

14. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    I love me some beast of nurgle... he IS the best big guy out there in my opinion because the roadblock position is one that needs filling on every team and he exemplifies it. don't want to block him (Foul appearance, stand firm), can't run from him, (tentacles), and even his mere presence is distracting (disturbing presence). What more could you ask for in a guy who sits there like a lump of sh--- well, you've seen my team. :rolleyes:

Rat Ogre on the other hand, hates me. He's all like 'who the h*ll do you think you are telling me to go over there? Screw that, i'm fine right here!' and I have to groan and take it.

I'd rather have 3 linerats to foul with.

15. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    That's what you get for firing the only thing on a dwarf team that is even remotely close to being half interesting.

16. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    It was fire him or face a wizard EVERY SINGLE GAME

To be honest it's more my horrendous armour luck that saw me go down last season.

17. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    wizards aint no thang!

18. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    I do love big guys, and tend to use them whenever in my teams. Whether it's feeding a player to my Ogre with Tackle, or the look on coaches' faces when you remind them they still have to roll tentacles/prehensile tail because wild animal does not negate tackle zones, they're a lot of fun. Being a gobo coach also brings in the enjoyable aspect of not knowing if my plans are going to fall apart and develop a plan b, c, d... then throwing my hands up when I run out of letters in the alphabet.

Having said that, I don't think the Deathroller is worth its gold. it's a good piece, but spending all that cash for one drive is ludicrous. Let its driver grumble all he wants, but this is the only big guy I won't take in the entire game.

19. Serialised

Serialised Member

Country Flag:
    Check out the Khemri. 4 "big guys" for the price of... no penalty actually. :pow:

20. Doomy

Doomy Member

Country Flag:
    Decay is a negatrait that can do absolutely nothing or matter quite a lot. ;)