1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardman My team is off to a pretty great start, but I'm unsure where to go from here

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Antikas Karios, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Antikas Karios

Antikas Karios New Member

Cyanide Username:
    Antikas Karios
    Country Flag:
    My team has started out 6-1-1 and I'm over the moon with that result. However It's getting to the point where I no longer feel totally confident with my allocation of skills and cash.

I currently have:

1 Kroxigor, level 3 with Stand Firm and Break Tackle.
    4 Saurus level 2 with Block
    2 Saurus level 3 with Block and Guard
    2 Skinks level 3 with Catch and Sure Feet
    2 Skinks level 3 with Sidestep and Sure Feet
    2 Skinks level 1 warming the bench.
    1 Apothecary
    5 rerolls.

And finally I have 150k in the bank after the conclusion of my last match.

I'm really not sure what to spend my cash on. Do I need a deeper bench in case more than 2 players get put out of commission? Or will that just inflate my Team Value too much? Should I start to consider Cheerleaders and Assistant Coaches at this point? Should I just get the 6th reroll?

Skills are a similar Dilemma, I know I want to get Guard on the other 2 Saurus Warriors, but I'm not so sure what else I want. Obviously if I get Doubles I want Block on my Skinks and my Kroxigor, but that's about all I know. I would really appreciate some further development advice on all my players, including whether +Stats are better than Skills on Double Rolls.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Hey. Good start indeed. What kind of enviroment are you playing in?

Depending on that it might make sense to grab some support staff. For me 5 RR is at least 1 if not 2 too many. Do you really need them? I would keep the money in case replacements are needed 13 Players should be fine.

For the player development on normal rolls i would go guard on the Krox, you need some Break Tackle on the Saurus (at least 2) and some tackle if you facing dodgers. Apart from that a frenzy Saurus is nice or some MB. For my liking Skinks all need Side Step and probably some Diving Tackle as a 2nd skill. one of the catch sure feet players coud get sprint to make 1TTD easier.
    For double skills the usual Block on the Krox, only really dodge for the saurus maybe jump up on one. For the Skinks it depends on the other skills Block is good. As is sure hands on one.

Take all Stats you can get on the Skinks with MV>AV. Only really +Str on the Krox or Saurus. Later on i may take +MV on them.

Thats my two cents anyways.

Good luck with the Team.

3. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    What St Cloud said.

Definitely drop a reroll, possibly pick up a small number of support staff if you like.
    Your current Skink numbers are fine, I usually reckon either 5 or 6 Skinks is the sweet spot with all big lizards hired.

I'd add 2 more Skink double skills to think about as well.

Wrestle is a great skill for a Skink to have on defense. It allows him to operate as a reasonable safety to target breakaway ball carriers and even gives you a half decent option for a 2d against blitz in some circumstances.

Dirty Player on a first skill Skink double gives you a decent fouling option. You then want to avoid skilling him further if possible. If he does get another skill then Sneaky Git allows unassisted fouls of opportunity. Once you get a Dirty Git Skink you need to up your number of Skinks by 1.

4. Antikas Karios

Antikas Karios New Member

Cyanide Username:
    Antikas Karios
    Country Flag:
    For Wrestle Skinks, it's something I've already thought about, and I'd like to pick one up, however the first Skink to roll a double is definitely getting Block first, my primary concern for developing Skinks is as Ball Carriers, and Wrestle doesn't cause me to drop the ball when used. Once I already have 1 or perhaps 2 Block Skinks I would definitely go for Wrestle on a Skink for Defense.

As for a dedicated fouling skink, it's also something I've thought about, but I'm really not sure it's worth it on a double. If Skinks had natural access to Dirty Player it'd be a done deal, but I just don't feel right using a Double on it.

I'm definitely planning on going Break Tackle on one Saurus so i can dodge out and Blitz, and maybe a second as well.

Tackle on the Saurus would be something I'd usually go for, but my League is just super light on Dodge, with mostly bash teams so I feel comfortable delaying it, at least for now. So if I'm getting 1-2 Break Tackle and don't need to focus on Tackle what else is there after Block and Guard? Frenzy and Mighty Blow seem ok but is there anything else to think about?

Can you guys elaborate on why 5 Rerolls is too many? I get that Rerolls contribute to Team Value, but I don't see how it would be a good idea to drop down to 4. The way I see it is each reroll gives me 60 team value, which is 60k of possible inducements lost, but a reroll is valued at 100k in the inducements screen.

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Most teams can operate with 3 RR, 4 maximum and 2 minimum with a possible extra RR thanks to the Leader skill. Notable exceptions would be Vampires and Ogres that can do with 5 due to the number of 2+ rolls they need to pass to use their main players. Some Flings roll with 1 single RR and rely on the Chef for more.

You don't want to have more RR (and thus TV) than you need because in a competitive league, optimizing your TV is crucial. If you give up 150K+ inducements every game, you will face a lot of Wizards, and while they are random, they can be a game changer more often than not in the hands of fast teams. Similarly, leaving your opponent take just a single babe because you have a RR you probably won't need in the end can have a significant impact.

It's true that a RR is valued at 100K as an inducement. Otherwise if they were at the same price than a team RR, I wouldn't buy any and use my cash to stack on positionals quickly while inducing the number I need :) Inducements tend to be overpriced anyway, so the higher TV team normally keeps the advantage provided the extra TV is not useless bloat. Finally RRs are very seldom picked as inducements except at low TV maybe, 100K would normally be spent on a bribe, 2 babes or an Apo.

6. Dr Rudolf von Richten

Dr Rudolf von Richten Member

Country Flag:
    I'm sorry to spoil the mood here, but this team is terribly built. :(

Normal Skills on Skinks are a bloat on your TV, and practically no team needs 4 rerolls, let alone 5. Also, Break Tackle on the Krox looks nice, but it's an awful big risk to use, especially for a player who should be positioned in such a way that he can either be blocked free or is in the middle of the action anyway. So what I would do:

- Ditch 2 Rerolls, don't buy Cheerleaders/assistant Coaches
    - Ditch all your skilled Skinks, buy 2 rookies and then you have 11 players; aim for 12 players, 13 at the most, but ditch any skink that doesn't roll a double/stat increase in it's first 2 skillups
    - Ditch your Kroxigor at his next skillup if he doesn't roll Doubles/+S, skill the next one Guard/Stand Firm and keep getting rid of them at the 3rd skill unless they roll at least one double/+S (to be honest, you probably should take the double on a 6+6) in the first 3 Skillups.
    - If you're not doing so already: Score with your Sauri! If the field position allows it, try picking it up with one, if not, run it with a Skink until you get a Cage/Screen near the opponent's endzone, then spend the rest of the half handing it off to (or failing that, picking it up with) a Saurus.
    - Get Break Tackle ASAP on 2 Sauri, give at least one Tackle next, the other Tackle or Frenzy, The rest of your Sauri Should get Mighty Blow and Guard, and after this it depends too much on what your opponents teams look like at that point.

Good Luck! :)

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Sacking none double skinks before lvl3 is only something I would do in a public league.

That said I would go sidestep then diving tackle on all of them assuming no doubles.
    Sidestep 1st as it goes well with both block , +MA and +AG.

8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I agree that Sidestep is worth having on a few Skinks, even if it is their only skill (a sidestepping Skink can be a major annoyance to any team that doesn't have any Tackle nearby). Diving Tackle on one or two I could also get behind, but not more.

But beyond that, I tend to agree that you need those doubles on your Skinks, so recycling them at level 3, unless they rolled a double or stat, seems reasonable to me.

As for the rerolls, I could see Lizardmen using 4, as opposed to the usual 3 on "normal" teams, because they are taking more actions than average that are not covered by a built-in reroll: picking up the ball, catching a hand-off, dodging with BT but without Dodge, blocking without Block. It's still debateable between 3 and 4, but it's definitely not 5, that's overkill.

9. Tone

Tone New Member

Country Flag:
    I think it's fine to have 4 RR with lizards especially if you don't have a +AG or sure hand skink.

As tys123 and Borke said, unless you roll double/+MV/+AG/+ST, I usually take side step first as it's useful for both attacking or defensive skinks.

For saurus, after block, you just need a good mix of guard/tackle/BT/MB. Stand firm is good later one as well.