1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAF World Cup 2019 in Dornbirn Austria October 4-6

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by sbr32, Jun 3, 2019.

1. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Is anyone else planning on going to the World Cup this October? Myself and 5 friends will be making the trip from the North American west coast (5 Americans and 1 Canadian).

After another strong showing in a large NAF tourney I will be taking Wood Elves. I have not spent much time at all thinking about my build at all yet.

http://www.nafworldcup.sbbm-turniere.com

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I'm not, but I've practiced Dornbirn games on FUMBBL. What I've noticed is that elves start out weak-ish but are top tier on day3. Also wood elves might get pombed into oblivion, so they'll be relying quite a lot on wardancer magic! :)

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Which races were loading up with POMB? In a low tv format like this it’s highly unlikely that any team can have more than one killer and even then with a limited number of kill stack skills.

4. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Humans, Necro, Slann, Chaos, Nurgle and Chaos Renegades are capable of taking it at least. Is it worth it for Slann or even Necro is debatable.

I assume there will be plenty of humans and necro teams. And probably everything from tier one.

You're also correct that only one skillstack is possible.

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    At most those teams should have one player with MB+Tackle or one with MB+PO and maybe one or two others with MB only. They shouldn’t shred elf teams unless multiple players are frequently being left in base contact.

6. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I practiced against top Hungarian player on FUMBBL (and watched him play) and it is rough even with just mb+po blitzes. You can expect 5-6 removals by that player alone in whole game (granted it's possible to avoid being pombed every turn). Add in failed dodges, LOS hits and it could be really rough especially if poop hits the fan early on. Heck it constantly beats my dark elves with AV8 even if I'm not basing.

2d6 is high variance though, it might do much more damage than expected or not much.

Still mb+tackle is much better for wardancers and dodging blitzers. In this format wood elves elves are strong, but not overpowered.

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I took a Human team to a NAF tournament recently and did very will with them. I got 3 wins and 1 draw which left me tied for first place, but came second on tie breaks. Also won most casualties award with them. I had one blitzer with MB+Tackle and 3 with Guard. The double went to the Ogre for Block. Also Block on a thrower. Faced 1 dark elf, 1 high elf, 1 undead and 1 amazon team. I feel that Humans are in a good spot at the moment given the advantages given to tier 2 teams in a lot of rules packs, but of course coach skill and dice variance are always going to play a large part too!

Supa likes this.
  8. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I'm inclined to agree that humans (along necro) are very strong in the format, at least when starting out. Dark elves would be my go-to choice for day 3 probably. :)

9. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I have a Woodie team in the fumbbl World Cup Warm up league.

I went with Tree, 2 Dancers, 1 Catcher, 7 Line Elves and 3 RRs which is 110k and lets me take 3 skills on Day 1 without needing Leader.

For skills I am trying something new I got from the guy who won Spike! last weekend. Both Dancers get Sidestep so I will have no strip ball or tackle. The other Day 1 skill is Kick on a Lineman. Day 2 is Block on the Catcher and Wrestle on a Lineman. Day 3 Dodge on a Line elf and Grab on the Tree.

First game tomorrow against what appears to be a very bashy Slann team.

10. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Well, I practiced today with Slann. Unfortunately they were quite boring and not so effective in my opinion. :(

Pombing build is without block so that is a risk alone, and taking down blockless players doesn't obviously work either. It also doesn't seem to serve the most effective way to play slann in this format...

... Which is (less surprisingly) going for the sack constantly. Not really fun to fish for that lucky knockdown and bounce, or alternatively failing miserably. I figured that 3-4 catchers (all skilled) is the best for this. Krox is also cool no matter what.

Pros were the big budget though, which meant plenty of skills (and 4RR is something that should be heavily considered instead of bench). However, they still can get guard locked or outmuscled in general (especially with more catchers). Then again no catchers and your retrieval options are weak, making the roster meh.

So far I've really liked how humies and necro look in this format. Chaos is also nothing to snuff at. Overall it's pretty balanced format. However my absolute favourites have been dark elves. AV8 helps against pomb (not always) and having 5 blodge/wrodge with 2 frenzy is just what I love. They just start out weak in this format.

11. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    My first match against a bashy looking slann team was a forfeit because he was sick. I played my second game against a Necro team and lost to a very good player 2-1 in a pretty standard grind after he won the coin flip and elected to kick. I stalled out until my T4 I think then set up poorly makign the rturn score easier for him than it should have been. He had a Sure Hands Ghoul so strip ball wasn't missed that much. Lookign forward to my third match, and then to getting more skills in match #4.

Supa likes this.
  12. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I'm honestly thinking that is strip ball worth it as everyone takes sure hands anyways (mindgames!). Good alternative for strip ball could be frenzy, if tackle was taken to the other.

13. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Yeah I go back and forth on Strip Ball, this World Cup Warmup tournament is the first time I have gone without it. While almost everyone will have Sure Hands, making it close to useless as long as they have the ball on their main ball carrier, it also locks them into carrying on their SH guy. With Kick you can take some advantage of that. Also if you can knock him out then it becomes very valuable.

It also limits their ability to make hand offs and passing plays that don't result in an immediate score, making setting up for 2 turn TDs difficult. Do you risk picking up without sure hands to hand off/pass to your SH guy or do you pick up with SH, saving a reroll late but risk getting your break away guy stripped?

I am definitely interested how the rest of my 7 games will go without it!

Supa likes this.
  14. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im going to Dornbirn, will play Slann, but as a ballstealing team. So Wrestle + stripball on a catcher and guard on another. The rest is still to be figured.

sbr32 and Supa like this.
  15. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Getting excited as this gets closer. Our squad is me playing Wood Elves along with Undead, Skaven, Amazons, Dwarves and Underworld.

Our first match up will be against a squad with Nurgle, Orcs, Dwarves, Chaos, Slann and Lizards but we won't find out the actual matchups until Day 1 of the event.

16. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Good luck, hopefully you guys have a great time.

17. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I think for slann the +1 you get on leaping in with the catcher doesn't make up for the str 2 which will almost always result in -2d against or at best 1d if you get guard in there too. Plus if the leap fails its av 7. Rather have wrestle on a linefrog who is more likely to succeed and less likely to get injured. Plus you need catchers to make scoring easier so don;t want to lose the to cage dives.

18. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I agree. wrestle leap on a linefrog is better than on a catcher