1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Necromantic Necro defensive strategy against fast teams [elves]

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Spartakus, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Spartakus

Spartakus Member

Country Flag:
    Hi there,

I saw there's some necro (good ? :) )coachs in the forum so maybe some of you guys are willing to share some tips with me.
    I struggle a bit to defend against fast teams, especially High elves at high TV with my necros (gotta hate those screens with so much fend and or sidestep !). First thing is i can't manage to control the pitch, they always mess up my positionning. Zombies and golem get marked and it's so easy for them to dodge away next turn. I find it hard to cover the pitch with only 4 (6 with the wights) with enough mobility to be in good position. Second thing, i'm yet undecided about engaging them (in their tackle zones) or not. I tried to rush at their ballcarieer too, but i can only do that with high mobility players (wolves and ghouls) : for me, it just cut my team in two, and i have no safeties then in my backfield...
    I know these elves teams are tough to defend with all teams, and i know that if the opposing coach play rather well, they're not so many thing to prevent them from scoring... But still... i think good defense is prevent the score, and any conceided TD hurts me.... I'm not a big fan of letting the other coach score fast (1-3 turns), but is there some other solutions ?

Last thing, i will appreciate if you can share some defensive setup (against fast teams). And by the way, is there an alternative for player-creator ?

Thx to you all guys, and i hope my english is ... right and comprehensible ! :D

2. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    As a woodelf player my eworst scenario is being pressured to score in 2 turns leaving you to score on turn 8. Then your drive scores on turn 16.

You don't need to stop elves from scoring, just control the clock, send a wolf or goul into the back field on defence so he cannot waste the clock away with his thrower near his end zone.

Having said all of this, you need a numbers advantage or some luck to keep elves from the endzone and then its not guarenteed.

3. Spartakus

Spartakus Member

Country Flag:
    Thanx for the reply man.
    You are most problably right with this tactic... However it seems to me that send 1 wolf and/or a ghoul in their backyard means they gonna hurt them with all they can (tackle, mb, fouling ;) ) That happened for me in quite a few games and that's why i don't do that anymore... But maybe i am too conservative and try too much not to loose players :).

4. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    You have a similar team to woodelves in that you have access to speed.

When I kick against elves I kick short meaning they have to play the ball or its left at risk. IF the ball is shuttled back to a thrower I will send at least 2 players (normally 3) deep into their half. Only 1 can be blitzed and if they do this they have left my defending players alone. They will not (if sensible) risk even a 1 dice blitz on the ball carrier so close to their endzone.

With 2-3 players in their half they need to defend the ball quickly or go for a quick TD otherwise they are in trouble.

Having said that I put all of my players in harms way except the throwers. Elves can die at any moment so you have to give them chance to be awesome. No point hiding a wardancer at the back when she can be in the thick of it making big plays.

5. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Spartakus if they use the blitz against your ghoul/wolf threatening their backfield they aren't using the blitz to open a gap in your defense. You need to keep a solid line that makes them have to blitz open a hole or dodge a lot.

Then your priority is controlling those that get thru.

If he can't hide his thrower in the back (u can dodge wolf/ghoul free) then he has to "cage" his thrower near LOS which means fewer elves free.

Also your objective is to force him to do as many dodges and 1 die blocks as possible. Eventually one will fail. If you have good players in your backfield even if he does manage to pass... he will have to score quickly or have the ball taken down. Like coachman said... its the classic 2-1 grind.

6. Captain Thorrek

Captain Thorrek Member

Country Flag:
    How many tackle players do you have? It's a wonderful skill to have against elves of any type, woodies in particular since it reduces the effectiveness of their War Dancers. With the Ghoul and WW in your backfield, you can use the Ghoul as a pole and chase the intended victim around to get the 2 Die block on the Frenzy, then back over with the Ghoul for another block. I use Wights and Wolves in tandem with this purpose... Block/Guard/Tackle Wights work great together with Block/Tackle/Frenzy Wolves, it also gives you a better chance to crowdsurf your more annoying players. You don't have to get them down, just off the pitch. Ghouls make for great safeties, keeping out of the main scrum and making strikes against more vulnerable targets.

Once you get the War Dancers off the pitch, Tackle takes care of the rest. :)

7. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Even if you fail totally to :pow: an elf... with frenzy you can push him back two squares and keep him out of End Zone range or make him do more GFIs.