1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Necromantic Necromantic Tactics

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Xtn, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Xtn

Xtn New Member

Country Flag:
    Hi!

I was wondering if the community could give me some pointers on playing an early Necromantic team.

I've got the basic principles down, protect your wolves and ghouls, play bash against agility, and agility against bash, but I find they seem to struggle at low team values, especially when faced with other hybrid teams, such as lizards. With no skill ups it seems that the roster is just, a little weak, and it feels like the team is just 'hanging on' until it can start to get some spp's.

I've looked on the net, and there are surprisingly few playbooks, set ups, and tactics discussions for the Necros compared to other teams. Is their difficult early game one of the reasons for their lack of popularity?

2. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Necro's are certainly tougher to play as a low TV team than they become at mid and high TV. You lose at least a dodge or two and two mighty blow from a rookie undead team, which tends to do better at low TV.

But you do get more armor and movement on the werewolves, and those stand firm golems. Without ball handling skills or much help at removing players it can be a struggle if you don't get a few lucky casualties.

Just make sure you use the golems to help each other out. They are strong and unmovable, but without block it's not hard to take them down. Use the wolves to narrow the field and control the sidelines. I tend to snipe with the werewolves, as they frequently have the movement to get their hits in and still get behind a zombie when they are done.

I like to play with one ghoul and use him as the ball carrier, so as soon as you can get sure hands saving that reroll can help in the blocking game. Getting block on the werewolves can also have a big impact on how well the team plays.

The hardest part is getting block on the golems. Depending on the length of the league it can be worth a little risk trying to get them a TD to speed development.

I don't think there's a perfect strategy to make necromantic a top low TV team. Few skills and no agility 4 just make it too tough.

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Yes necro teams are fairly weak at low TV.
    I find the best way to play them is to tie up opposing players with zombies on defence.
    If you can get all your positionals vs an equal number of opposing players with the ball you should come out ahead as you have more TV where it matters.

4. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Jav and Tys, Necro are tough to get results with at low TV. Personally I start with 3 re-rolls, one ghoul (block first, then sure hands - helps keep him alive while you're saving for new players plus it gives you a mobile blitzer) and one wolf (block then dodge), get the next wolf ASAP then go for the second ghoul and develop him into a safety (wrestle, tackle).

While flesh golems are insanely slow to level I've found it more useful to force SPP onto the wights - with block to begin with you can dive straight into utility skills like guard, mighty blow and tackle, all of which are very handy while the wolves are still in nappies. Necro start motoring once they hit around 1400-1500TV.

sbr32 likes this.
  5. Jeliel

Jeliel Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Jeliel
    Country Flag:
    What they say, plus absolutely get Mighty Blow if you roll doubles on WW.
    On a side note you can check/search this sub section, there are plenty of tips and info about most of the teams by very experienced coaches.

sbr32 likes this.
  6. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    On an undead team I usually go for Mighty Blow first on the Wights. You already have strength, and mummies tend to get guard first if they don't roll doubles. But on necro your golems take much longer to level since they don't start with mighty blow. I find that the Wights really need guard as quick as possible. You have fast players, but necro is more about pitch control until you can get those faster players in scoring positions that don't leave them vulnerable. A single Mighty Blow on a wight won't help you do that as consistently as going for guard.

Hopefully you can get doubles on a wolf right away as they make ridiculously good blitzers with just one double.

Necro is just one of those teams where almost every player benefits tremendously from their first skill, and they struggle until you get that first skill in a couple important places!

sbr32 likes this.
  7. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Just a few tidbits in addition...

I find Necro strong on the sidelines with two SF and two frenzy pieces to start with. So deny the middle on defense and you will have it easier.

MB is great on a wolf, obviously, and Block is just plain necessary, but +AGI can be very nice, too.

Also, keep your Zombies low in level and in numbers unless you really want to play the fouling game. This way you get lower TV and more MVP chances on the positionals, Flesh Golems in particular.

Yea, and keep your head up, the win/loss ratio will get better once you get a few skills on the positionals.

8. Gio

Gio Member

Country Flag:
    I usually play fast agility teams; that's why Necro is the bashiest I've played. I do however have a slightly different approach towards the starting roster. Most are convinced Werewolves are the sole reason to play Necros over Undead; and they're right. Nonetheless, when will WW really shine depends on the rest of the team. Let's face it, the team is slow to progress; and without a few key skills on the right teammates, WW are more of a liability than an advantage. Furthermore, the team cannot depend entirely on them; thus, it is sensible to experience a few games without them.

This said, I must make a case for Flesh Golems; who are universally disregarded as far inferior to Mummies. Yes, they do not have 5ST, nor do they start with Mighty Blow; but they do have normal access to Block and they do start with Stand Firm. Call me crazy, but to me that's a huge benefit; 5ST can be overcome with Guard, and Mighty Blow means nothing if you're lying flat on the floor waiting to be fouled. Easy access to Block will prevent these situations and SF allows you to be surrounded by your Zomby friends when you're down. Flesh Golems are team players rather than independent kill machines; and as such, they are extraordinary at road-blocking. Furthermore, it's undeniable that they are the slowest of the bunch to skill up; which indicates they should be on the Pitch from game one.

About Ghouls, they're definitely the most vulnerable players on the team and the ones who need to constantly be protected since they will most likely be doing the ball handling. However, skilling them up is rather easy since they are fit to score most of the TD. It's wise to be prudent, and not let them become SPP hogs; but the point remains that they can skill up in a couple of games. If you do skill them up before you get WW, then they will need less protection and the Wolves may be better supported.

Wights, in my humble opinion, are the true stars of the team providing assistance both to Flesh Golems and Wolves, as well as protecting Ghouls. Their first aim is to get Guard ASAP to be able to perform those tasks properly. They should be given priority to skill up during the first games; once they do, the whole team will be much more solid.

For all the aforementioned reasons, my preferred starting roster is as follows:

2 Flesh Golems 220K
    2 Wights 180K
    2 Ghouls 140K
    5 Zombies 200K
    3 Re-rolls 210K

Total 950K

The 50K difference could mean Babes/Igor as inducement, and it's banked to purchase the first WW. It might take 2-3 games to do so; but that gives you enough time to skill up the Wights and maybe the Ghouls. Then, the Wolves will be better supported and will easily catch up to the rest of the team.

Regarding Set-ups...

While on Defence, Flesh Golems are charged to hold the middle (standing behind the 3 zombies on the LOS). The wings are covered by Wights (aided by 1 zombie each). Ghouls stay behind the Flesh Golems, providing safe assists when needed (either for the Golems or the Wights). If the Golems do their job, and they're well fit to do so, opponents will try to overflow through one of the wings. Don't rush in, make sure they have a hard time going through, but wait for the right time to strike with all your might and get the ball loose (the right time is usually when their team lies on the floor... or was dvided trying to find a way to outmaneuver you). So, divide then conquer.

While on Attack, Golems are still charged to hold the middle just as in Defence. However, I try to spot the weakest wing and aim the Wight artillery towards it. I usually leave the other wing open; this entices the opponent to try and go around the Golem wall and put pressure on the Ghouls. What they usually fail to realize is that, by doing so, they divide their team. Once again, divide then conquer.

Once you get the Wolves, all this becomes much easier.

Just my twopence.

9. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I don't have much to add, the previous posts all summed up my feelings on playing Necro but along with the 1 Wolf 1 Ghoul start I agree 100% with everything Nie said above.

10. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, it can be tradeoff. I also prefer 1 wolf and 1 ghoul. You miss the extra dodge for scoring, but having claw and frenzy (as well as movement 8) can really help as well. You don't start with any MB like Undead, which can make high AV teams difficult. Just the claw threat can really help (and it can also leave you in trouble with frenzy and no block).

But the extra AV and regen helps as well. I think they are pretty comparable.

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I might have said this before, but I start with 1 WW 0 Ghouls. Means for a rough start if an AG3 gets whacked early on, but the spare bank means you can replace them sooner and at least everyone's got regen. The WW doesn't do much blitzing work here anyway, he's more of a "fast ghoul with regen" ;)