1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Setting Rules for "The Journeyman's Journey Tourney"

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by 18Rabbit, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 18Rabbit

18Rabbit Member

Country Flag:
    I am in the process of setting up a new tournament for the OFL that has some unusual rules and I would like to get your suggestions to help keep it fun and fair for everyone involved.

In multi-player you can create a fresh team, save them and then fire all of the players on the team. This gives you a team with re-rolls, apothecary, assistants and cheerleaders and NO players. Then when you go into a match, you end up with a team of 11 LONER linemen and whatever incentives you pitched in cash for.

So here are the rules we're looking at:
    • Start with a new team with 0 players.
    • After each match you may elect to permanently hire one (1) of your Journeymen to your team
    • All incentives including star players and mercs are valid

So eventually, this league will wind up with some very experienced linemen and crappy merc positional players. :)

Now the concern is that, not all Journeymen are created equal so we'd like to restrict the teams further by race but, since I'm still pretty new to all of this, I'm soliciting suggestions on which races should be excluded and any other ideas you guys might have to keep this as a fun and fair tournament.

Any suggestions on which races should be excluded or any other rules you might consider are welcome. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    Maybe you should exclude the Teams with necros or nurgle´s rot ´cause they can generate some Lineman for free.
    On the other hand do they have that bad Linemen, they will still be quite bad.

Some teams will be quite weak with that setting:
    - Ogre
    - Vampire
    - Khemri
    Maybe giving them the ability to buy a single of their good players later.

Other Teams will be pretty strong
    - Dwarfs
    - Norse
    - Amazone
    - All Elf Teams

What do you do about Re-Rolls? Everybody will have lots of Re-Rolls that way.

3. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Obvious ones that would struggle would be Ogres, Goblins and Halflings as they wouldn't get any of their big guys and stunties with only agility skill access could prove a bit much. Lizardmen could fall into this category, but at least skinks are fast, in fact they'd be the fastest players in the game.

If you think about it, an elf team would be gettin 600-700 TV of players compared to 11 snotlings being 200-300k (can't remember if they're 20 or 30k each).

Nurgle and all of the undead teams come to mind as potential strugglers too, since the linemen are the most common 'fodder' - they'll be short on pace mostly and their relative resilience with regeneration and such is kind of offset by having a fresh batch every game.

Dwarves initially appear strong but having no agility 3 access could make them more balanced, though 11 block/tackle players compared to most teams having not skills at all is a bit rough, similarly 11 Norse with block and 11 Amazon with dodge have a strong standard line up in this format.

I'd also point out one thing - winnings are not likely to give players all a shot at buying 1 player every game. For example a high elf lineman at 70k is likely to take 2 games to pay for, but a Snotling likely one every game. While this should be offset by their respective quality bare it in mind that some teams may take much longer to get a squad skilling up and will be missing out on a lot of spp if they can't hire the mvp player some matches.

4. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    hmm, interesting, personally I think you should go with the rules almost as they are, play a season, see what happens and tweak them from there. Your rules imply not but would teams be allowed to hire on any 1 loner merc? Or only a "Lineman" or even only one of the auto generated "linemen"? For example a fling team can start inducing Tree mercs, could they then hire those loner tree mercs permanently? The answer implied is no but it might make an interesting balance for some of the lower tv teams like fling and goblin.

I'd actually be very interested to take a fling team into this environment, only take a single reroll + apoc, there'd be huge inducements, you'll be inducing stars, enjoying the master chef and enjoying the benefits of dodge in an environment with hardly any block or tackle, norse and dwarf may be the teams to beat but I wouldn't right off the dodge teams, free rerolls with loner everywhere is not such a bad thing.

5. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I agree with MC in that you should just go with the rules as you have them. I dont think that 1 team will be particularly overpowered compared to another. For example, the Ogres team can just hire Merc Ogres in addition to having the 11 Loner Snotling.

And some teams are just unbalanced anyway, even in the normal rules. So i say go with it as is.

@ MC - im pretty sure you dont have the option to hire mercs, only loners. So your Treeman hiring example probably isnt allowed by Cyanide.

6. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    edit: I don't think you've ever been able to hire Mercs, come to think of it, as you always have the option of giving them a skill for 50k. Surely the game'd be rife with players exploiting such a feature to get themselves easy Block Sauruses and so on with TV shenanigans.

Anyway I think it's a great idea, 18Rabbit. I also think Max and Narly are right, the concept works well, so you should suck it and see. There's a few teams who have crap Linemen and great positionals, sure, but every player is supposedly balanced by cost, so inducements should come into play as a leveller for each match - in theory at least.

If I were to make any suggestion at all, it's that you give the tournament the tagline 'bring your own gurney!'

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. 18Rabbit

18Rabbit Member

Country Flag:
    :D

Consider it done.

And yeah, you can't hire mercs to your team full time, only journeymen. Dwarven linemen will be a pain in the ass to play against but they will also have a hard time picking up the ball. Also with almost all of these players being loners, the number of rerolls will be about half of what you expect. It will cause some very different thinking about team development.

8. 18Rabbit

18Rabbit Member

Country Flag:
    If anyone wants to join in the fun, I have started this up on Cyanide. Details posted on the Old World Football League forums.

9. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It actually sounds really fun and I would like to join in, but don’t have the time to commit to a regular league on top of OCC. So will just have to stick to CTA games. I hope it goes well for you and be sure to let us know how it turns out and whether you needed to amend the rules or not.

10. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Why not just make everyone use Humans?

11. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I would love to try an all Human league, theme it around something like a Sunday / Pub league where its all amateur fans having a crack at it. :cool: