1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New feature request

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Silfuin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    I think many would agree that a very useful feature would be some sort of acoustic notification when someone replies to a CTA request.
    It's all too easy to request for a match, then begin reading the forum or manage a team and get lost, not noticing that someone has replied.

PĂ©robably there are many ways to do it, for example a "request box" could be implemented where any CTA request can be inserted, which could trigger some sound.
    In the same box also replies could be inserted thus triggering the sound again.

I don't know how to best implement it but it could be useful.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Would be useful it true, not sure if it would be difficult for coach to implement

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Easiest first step could well be to just add a dinger to the shoutbox (maybe with a checkbox to activate/deactivate) so everytime someone adds a line to it you get a sound (and/or flashing tab on the browser)

Some kind of notifier to the shoutbox does sound like the easiest solution at least to start out with.

4. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    And/or an option to have the chatbox visible regardless of where one is in the forum (if this already exists I'll be :eek:).

5. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    the only thing i've figured out for this is to have a second tab open to the main forums page

6. Merihim

Merihim Member

Cyanide Username:
    Merihim
    Country Flag:
    Yeah I usually run two tabs, one for the chat full page and one to browse the forums.

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Are you talking about in the chatbox or in a thread?

I've turned on the following for the chatbox "If new messages are available after refresh, a sound is played to notify the user" Quite what it means exactly by messages I'm not sure. If it's anyone saying anything that could be really annoying.

You can subscribe to any thread and get an email alert when there is a reply. I presume nearly everyone has some kind of email notification on their computer and / or smartphone?

8. Coach

Country Flag:
    OK looks like that is annoying (you can turn the sound off in your User CP).

There are options for having separate channels in the chat, I could set up a separate CTA channel and might be able to restrict it to just that, though I'm not certain, the help isn't very clear.

9. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I like the new feature but I'm certainly open to trying other options for the "best" solution, thanks for humouring us Coach.

10. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Great idea but can we PLEASE get a sound thats a bit less annoying.. Also I try to turn it off and every time my page auto refreshes I get boiiiinged again! :mad:

11. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    The feature can be made better for sure, but I like it also like it is now.
    Very helpful to do whatever you want and still be alerted if someone post something in chat.

I guess that default enable/disable should be opposite of how it is now; default should be disabled, and enabled only by pushing the button.

About a separate chat for CTA I fear that people will divided between the two chatboxes and it could become difficult to follow both.

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    Yeah, that's why I only had one set as it was. It doesn't look like there is an option to active it and have the sound off by default though.

If anyone wants to supply me with a different sound then I can look to change it.

13. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Sound is good like it is..
    What I think we need is something like a "CTA BOX" which should not be a chatbox (or "shoutbox" like you call it) but jus a line under the shoutbox where names of people searching for CTA are displayed.
    Obviously there should also be a checkbox labeled "CTA" to tell the system that one is searching for CTA.
    Names should be cleared from the list as soon as one disconnects from the forum or when one begins to play (in which case he will need to uncheck the checkbox, unless there is a way to detect that someone is playing).

In that way anyone will know that I am searching for CTA upon opening the forum.

Also, would it be possible to maintain the "boing" and/or "CTA BOX" status from session to session, maybe using cookies?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  14. Coach

Country Flag:
    Don't think any of that is a feature of the chat box and I don't know how to code it in myself.

15. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Lol, took me a while to realize what this new "boing" sound was. Driving me nuts for a few days, run several anti malware and antivirus apps and was about to consider reinstalling sound drivers, until I realized it was the bbt chat! :p