1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player confused on tiers.

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by David Miller, Jan 6, 2021.

1. David Miller

David Miller New Member

Country Flag:
    I just picked up second season and the fire gutbusters team. I was disappointed to see a tier system as it seems the gutbusters being a tier 3 are more difficult to play which I assume win with then. Now I don’t want to play them. Is there some sort of balancing if going against a tier 1 or 2 team?

Honestly I’m really bummed that my favorite looking teams are tier 3.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Unfortunately, BB has historically always had weaker teams in the pool to provide a challenge for veterans, or just an outlet for players who care more about fun than winning (and have a halthy masochistic streak). I don't know about BB 2020 but ogres have historically been the worst BB team by some margin and I doubt too much will change even though they have been buffed a bit in the new edition.

In tournaments, tier 3 teams do typically get some advantaged to help the compete a bit, but its not enough nor really intended to be. Coaches of tier three teams are typically going for other prizes than the tournament win (there's sometimes a separate 'Stunty Cup' for tier 3 teams and often awards for things like most injuries caused).

Of course in an informal local league you can introduce house rules to balance things and in previous editions there were fans who had come up with rules to help achieve more parity https://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm but so far that doesn't exist for BB2020 (no reason not to make your own though). If you like the minis you should be aware that human teams can also take an ogre player, only one though.

3. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Just to add to this, there is also Imperial nobility, Chaos Chosen, Chaos Renegades, Old World Alliance. All of these in addition to humans and ogre teams, can make use of an ogre.

4. David Miller

David Miller New Member

Country Flag:
    The ogres weren't the main choice of the team. I chose it based on the combination of ogres and little guys plus I thought it would be fun to paint. Usually when finding a new mini game I go back and forth for a while between factions/teams, with playstyles, looks etc. This time I said I'm just gonna pick the one I like the look of the most and play that. Unfortunetaly if I'm losing every game this may not be a fun experience. My friend who was looking to get into it is turned off by the tiers as well. I understand story/background wise now why they have tiers. I mean every sports league has good teams and bad teams. But why would anyone want to play a tier 3? Doesn't seem to make for a very diverse group of teams in tournament play.

I was hoping my friend and I could pick teams and just do a match every now and then.

5. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Tier 3 teams are a meme, or a challenge for veterans, or just when you want to play for fun, not to win.

If you like the combination of strong/weak units, like Ogres and Snotlings, I would suggest you play Lizardmen. They’re tier 1 and will do what you have in mind, only better. ST4 isn’t ST5, but Saurus are not stupid, and you can start with 6 right away, as well as the Kroxigor (7 players with ST4+). Ogres usually can only afford 4 of their kind, if you buy a decent amount of rerolls to offset your lack of Block skill and the 2+ negatrait. This means Lizards only play with four ST2 players, while Ogres must field 7+ ST1 players, with abysmal armor on a Stunty trait. Also, your Skinks will move at 8, instead of 5.

Hopefully, this would help.

6. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    One of the great things about Blood Bowl is the variety of teams, so I would recommend you don't focus too narrowly on one race if possible. As mentioned most official tournaments have side competitions specially for Tier 3 teams in order to encourage coaches to take those teams too. My recommendation would be for you to purchase a couple of teams that play differently in order to get a feel for the different styles and then later on you can look at other teams based on your experience. Luckily BB teams do not have so many models compared to some other miniature games.

In addition to the 3 teams that you already have, you could consider adding Dark Elves (agile tier 1), Undead (Hybrid tier 1) and Orcs or Dwarfs (Bashy tier 1) in order to have a mix of teams that represent the different styles in the game. Lizardmen are an option as another Hybrid team, but are a little more advanced in terms of how they play.

7. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Also just to add, some people are crazy and try to play certain tier 3 teams competitively. Does feel rewarding when you do well with them.

Werebat likes this.
  8. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    I completely understand where you're coming from! Why choose to play a weak team? But I fancy myself something of an Ogre coach, and I don't play them to win. I play them for roleplaying and fun! I like going into a match knowing that I probably won't win. It takes the pressure off, and I can focus on: fun!

If you are interested, you can read a little bit about the adventures of my ogre team, Kick you'r Buts!, here:

https://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/luminous-lustria-s23-fluff-thread.14977/

@patbou73 suggested Lizardmen for you. They're a very strong team, and I think the minis available look pretty neat.

I would love to see photos of your painted minis when you finish!

Gallows Bait likes this.
  9. Baxx

Baxx New Member

Country Flag:
    Some teams are poorly balanced, this is not new in BB2020 but have been the case for a long time. What is new is that the tiers are explicitly stated in the rules, so at least that's a good thing for new players if reading the tier before deciding to buy a team.

10. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    I asked myself this same question then I tried to play Goblins once and I found out why: They're hilarious to play. You don't play them to win so the pressure of winning is 100% on your opponent while you get to do some wild and crazy strats. Tier 3 teams are some of the only ones to have the ability to literally throw team mates around for example. They get so many gimmicks and often cause a lot of injuries on the aopposing team. Thing like that that means they're a fun, no stress ways to play Blood Bowl

Baxx likes this.
  11. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Wait what?

Werebat and burning_phoneix like this.
  12. burning_phoneix

burning_phoneix Active Member

Steam Username:
    burning.phoneix
    Country Flag:
    Get out of here Gobbo freak. @comfort_eagle is also not invited to this thread