1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player to tournament scene

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Teratroopa, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Teratroopa

Teratroopa New Member

Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I’m fairly new to bloodbowl and want to take part in a tournament happening early next year. It’s a 110 tv with another 120k for skills, it’s a 1 day, 3 game event with every one getting a free frog per game. I’ve only ever played Ork in league and one off play but I’m wanting to have a separate team for tournaments. To this end I’m thinking of going undead for the mix of high strength, speed and starting skills. The list for the tournament is below:

2x Mummies
    2x Wights with guard
    1x ghoul with block and sure hands
    2x ghouls with block
    6x zombies
    3x rerolls
    2x fan factor

I could drop 2 zombies for another ghoul but then I’d have to drop block on the sure hands ghoul which weakens the ball carrying ghoul. Game plan is semi weak to tackle. Zombies are for cheap chaff and ball screening.

In terms of teams turning up I’m expecting a halfling team and potentially a couple of elves and an ork team.

The alternative is to run Orks:

2x black ork blockers with block
    2x black ork blockers with guard
    2x blitzers with tackle
    2x blitzers
    1x thrower
    2x linesman
    3x rerolls

And then either
    1x apo
    1x reroll

Or...... a troll (I don’t know)

Turns out I’m quite indecisive, suggestions/feedback is most appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    sbr32 and Supa like this.
  2. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forums! If everyone gets 120k for skills I think Undead are one of the better choices you have for the tournament. Other races that seems interesting to me are dark elves, wood elves, amazons and possibly lizardmen.

Typical build is the following:
    2 mummies
    2 wights
    4 ghouls
    4 zombies
    3 rerolls
    1 fan factor, cheerleader and assistant coach.

For skills I would buy guard for both mummies and wights as well as sure hands ghoul. For the 6th skill I am quite undecided. If you can stack skills without a penalty, block for the sure hands ghoul is an option. Or maybe you make one rookie ghoul a wrestler. That way you'll have great hitting power, can hold the line with guard and also have some mobility in ghouls (and wights). You also shouldn't have trouble with rerolls.

Orcs are tougher one in my opinion. It's hard to use the budget smart without buying the troll, but troll is generally a liability against elves. Typical build would look something like:

Troll
    4 Black Orcs
    4 Blitzers
    Thrower
    2 Linemen
    2 Rerolls
    Apotechary
    1 fan factor

If you're worried about elves (which will be your most difficult matchup), swap out one lineman for a goblin and change fan factor to one cheerleader and assistant coach. With troll+goblin you have a chance to score a oneturner... not great, but it's something. And goblin can go through an elf screen somewhat well. You'd only use it on offense against elves and oneturners. You probably keep it on the bench pretty much any other time. I think I might prefer the goblin more than the standard build.

For skills, leader is a valid option for a thrower, especially with only two rerolls. For skills I would take mighty blow blitzer, two guard blitzers and two black orc blockers with guard. Try to position your players so that you get to lockdown your opponents with guard/strength superiority, and hopefully in a way that your blitzers get to hit your opponents more than your black orcs. I do not like tackle too much in tournament environment, as it may end up as a dead skill. Against elves there are also weaker elves that do not have dodge, which you should be aiming to cause damage and force to dodge away, in hopes for removals so that they have harder time to screen you off.

If you want to meta-game against elves, you could do something like this:

4 Black Orcs
    4 Blitzers
    Thrower
    3 Linemen
    3 Rerolls
    Apotechary
    Fan Factor

For skills you could have a blitzer with mb+frenzy (if stacking has no extra cost), two blitzers with guard and two black orcs with guard. It's not as beefy, but you'll have more reliable piece on the field and mighty blow+frenzy is quite sweet, especially against elves. I might prefer this build for the tournament if you decide to take orcs, if stacking skills with no penalties is allowed indeed. You could also consider a goblin instead of a lineman, although with no troll his value is a little bit worse.

Whatever you decide, good luck in the tournament and have fun! :)

3. Teratroopa

Teratroopa New Member

Country Flag:
    Wow thanks for the advice.

I think I will go with the undead list. I’ve swapped out the list to be in line with what you’ve recommended and gave the sure hands ghoul block to make him more durable. I’ll give it a go in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Does the ruleset allow you to stack skills?

5. Teratroopa

Teratroopa New Member

Country Flag:
    There’s nothing in the player pack to say otherwise. Clarification by the TO is effectively max two doubles or 3 singles on a single player.

6. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I'd like Mighty Blow instead of Guard on an Undead Wight, they are your hitters most of the time.

7. Teratroopa

Teratroopa New Member

Country Flag:
    That is an idea. There was a couple of chaos dwarfs at the latest tournament so that would definitely help. Although I would then lose the guard assist for the mummies. Is it worth the trade off?

8. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    You can also blitz with your mummies. Try to get 3d blocks whenever you can.

9. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    If you are allowed 2 doubles take block on the mummies and guard on the wights. Block mummies are monsters. in tournaments

Supa likes this.
  10. Teratroopa

Teratroopa New Member

Country Flag:
    Guard would certainly help with getting 3d blocks.

If I gave the mummies block I’ll have to take block off the ball carrying ghoul. I don’t know if that’s worth the guard assist for the wights and the extra durability of the ghoul.